Sig Item Trade Value?

ohgr

When the topic of crappy cache contents comes up around here, I usually read that it's the hunt, and the trinkets don't really matter "Unless" it's a sig item that the poster dosn't already have, then they'll usually trade.

This got me thinking, as I have spent some time working on a couple different sig items, one for regular sized caches, and one for smaller caches and wondered what the trade value of a sig item actually is. I understand that if your sig item is a 1oz. gold coin, then you can trade for anything in the box. But what about cards, coins, handmade things etc....

Should I try and calculate it by the time I spent making it? It's monetary value? It's coolness factor? Store bought -vs- Hand made?

In short, What vlaue do you place on sig items?

Thanks in advance!

Ohgr

Well, most sig items probably aren't worth a lot of money, but they are highly collectible. If I came across a sig item from a well known cacher, I'd be quick to trade for it. So far I only have one sig item, but it is one of my favorite trades. I left a bottle of hand sanitizer in the cache. As far as what to take out of a cache when leaving a sig item, I think nothing would be most appropriate. You have no way of knowing what value future finders might place on any given item, but it hardly seems fair to leave something that is only valuable to sig item collectors in trade for a more universally valuable piece. I'd just leave your sig item in every cache you find, and bring other stuff to use for trades. In some cases, certain cachers might have some really nice sig items that have some utility beyond their collector value. In those instances it's probably fine to trade one for a generic cache item of equal or lesser value.

Now, if anyone want's to know why caches get traded down, watch a couple of episodes of "The Price is Right" and you'll see that people have wildly different ideas about the value of just about everything. :mad:

I've seen only a few sig items in local caches...one group leaves geogems, which are pretty cool, though I haven't yet traded for one. Another group leaves Chevy Avalanche Matchbox cars, and I'm just assuming that's what they drive. I have traded for one of those, and it now sits proudly on my PC monitor. Others are more mundane (IMO) items like business cards....not even laminated, but all soggy in the bottom of the cache.....I won't even bother with those.

1. Renagade's rule is a good one.

2. I really don't think in dollars, I think in coolness and in categories.

A cool sig item is worth the same as another cool sig item.

A cool tool is worth the same as a cool tool.

A cool toy is the equal of another cool toy.

Trading a sig item for some tool or gadget is OK as long as the sig item is sufficiently cool. For example, a cacher from Maine decides to hunt a geocache in Nebraska while on vacation and leaves a Maine button. This button may be worth little money, but is the only time I am going to get to see one. It is therefore cool.

I would have to trade something cool for it, even if what I trade is worth more money.

Categories work for me like this:

Tools/gadgets = Sig items >>>>>>>Toys>>>>>>>>>>>>>>McToys

Its ok to trade between the first two categories, but it had better be a really good toy or a really uncool sig item to make the trade.

I kinda think of sig items and FTF "gifts" as a seperate entity from trade items. What I mean is this.

If I am FTF and the cache hider has left a "gift" for the FTF I don't need to trade anything for it. On a like note if another cacher has left a sig item that is kinda a way to say that I "have meet" her or him and is not intended as a trade item. I think this came about as a result of seeing that the cachers in this area who have sig items usually leave a sig item and a trade item.

As such I will usually take a sig item that I don't have and then do my trading after that.

I also plan on leaving my sig item without a trade or in addition to a trade when I get them completed.

I just take the coolest items in the cache and leave nothing. I mean, if they didn't want someone to take the stuff, they shouldn't have left it in there in the first place.

It's all part of my new attitude. I've decided to stop fighting it and go with the flow.

Greed: It's what makes America Great!

usa.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fsgs.gifgreed.gifgreed.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fsgs.gifusa.gif

99% of the time EVERYTHING I see in a cache is worthless junk. However, I almost always trade. I will trade my sig item for other sig item (not worthless junk) or one of the many pieces of junk in the cache. I do this sport for the thrill of the hunt and to get out and see the sites. For those few people that place expensive items in a cache, you will most likely be disappointed when it gets traded for something of far less value.

Sig items are worth nothing to me. I have no idea why some people value them and trade for them - they leave me cold. Neat unusual toys and usable objects are what I like. Usually I let my son do the trading. He likes cars (any condition), took a whistle today, you get the idea.

I did some caching back east around christmas time and saw 'cards' in caches. How lame! I haven't seen it here in CA. How did that get started?

Sig items are worth nothing to me. I have no idea why some people value them and trade for them - they leave me cold. Neat unusual toys and usable objects are what I like. Usually I let my son do the trading. He likes cars (any condition), took a whistle today, you get the idea.

I did some caching back east around christmas time and saw 'cards' in caches. How lame! I haven't seen it here in CA. How did that get started?

I know what you mean. Like I posted earlier, I have yet to see a sig card that was interesting or that wasn't a mush of wet paper in the bottom of a cache. I mentioned the two sig items I did like; the geogem and the Matchbox "Chevy Avalanche". I have even seen just plain old business cards someone uses as a signature item. Nothing to do with geocaching, or anything about them besides their business name, address, and phone number. Probably traded that little card that cost them .0001 cent for a $10 leather CD case, or other valuable, "neat" item. :mad:

One of the Sig items I was working on has started as Sculpey clay coins, hand carved after being baked to hardness. I also am going to be working on minting some coins. The coins won't be maybe as nice as ones you could buy, but you will not have seen another like it.

I think to be on the safe side, I'll just leave my sig item, and if I want to trade for anything I'll dig in the pack for something nice.... Thanks for all the replies.

Ohgr

Should I try and calculate it by the time I spent making it?  It's monetary value?  It's coolness factor?  Store bought -vs- Hand made?

You know, that's a really good question. I don't think you need to assume that your signature items shouldn't be used as trade items (as you mentioned in your last post). They may even be items that hold quite a bit of bartering value for the reasons that you included in your initial question.

I guess the trade value of the item should be determined by what your conscience tells you. If you follow this rule, you're always making a fair trade, in my book. (I'll assume you have a trustworthy conscience... that must have been what made you pose the question in the first place. ;))

Some sig items hold more value than others. Spitwinkle keychains are a hot commodity around here. He handmakes them and puts them in the caches he visits.

spittykeychain.jpg

And in some caches, it's not all that uncommon to find a CCCooperAgency keychain either!

I guess it depends on the cacher who leaves them and whether or not the item is "cool" or not. Some sig cards have more value than other cards, and some keychains more value than others as well. I'd say if you take one of the coveted sig items you should leave something just as cool in return... best for best kind of thing. ;)

Some sig items hold more value than others. Spitwinkle keychains are a hot commodity around here. He handmakes them and puts them in the caches he visits.

spittykeychain.jpg

And in some caches, it's not all that uncommon to find a CCCooperAgency keychain either!

I guess it depends on the cacher who leaves them and whether or not the item is "cool" or not. Some sig cards have more value than other cards, and some keychains more value than others as well. I'd say if you take one of the coveted sig items you should leave something just as cool in return... best for best kind of thing. ;)

I've seen pics of those before, and think they are soooooooo cool!!! :D

Personally (and I'm not alone in my thinking), signature items are not really meant to be traded. I view them more like travel bugs with the option that you can keep them if you like.

That being said, I do think that you should at least leave your own signature item if you take someone elses. Contributing to the sport is what keeps geocaching fun. I try and get the signature item from all the cachers I've met, emailed, or are just LEGENDS. ;)

I have only found a couple signature items. I now have my own signature items that I leave in caches. I try to find maybe not the "best" item in the cache, but the most unique. At one cache I took a livestock tag. I jokingly told my wife I found one of her moms earings in a cache. Needless to say, that went over like a *toot* in church. ;)

I have only found a couple signature items. I now have my own signature items that I leave in caches. I try to find maybe not the "best" item in the cache, but the most unique. At one cache I took a livestock tag. I jokingly told my wife I found one of her moms earings in a cache. Needless to say, that went over like a *toot* in church. :D

OMG!!!!!!!! :D;):D

I've got a spare doghouse, if you need a place to sleep! :D:D

I have only found a couple signature items. I now have my own signature items that I leave in caches. I try to find maybe not the "best" item in the cache, but the most unique. At one cache I took a livestock tag. I jokingly told my wife I found one of her moms earings in a cache. Needless to say, that went over like a *toot* in church. ;)

hehehe !!! You are either real funny or suicidal! :D

I have only found a couple signature items. I now have my own signature items that I leave in caches. I try to find maybe not the "best" item in the cache, but the most unique. At one cache I took a livestock tag. I jokingly told my wife I found one of her moms earings in a cache. Needless to say, that went over like a *toot* in church. :)

Yes sir, that's some funny stuff, LOL!

I've noticed that my "Joefrog's Famous Marshmallow Guns" are becoming a hot item around here...

And MAN do I ever want one of those wooden keychains!!