Not A Lot Of People Seem To Know About This So...

Odwolda

There's two ways to look at this.

On the one hand, its really neat. Everyone going into the cache knows what to expect. There are few surprises. It could really help someone rule out certain caches based on their individual criteria or abilities.

On the other hand it takes away some of the adventure and discovery. Some folks like the unkown, the adventure, and the unexpected.

On the other hand it takes away some of the adventure and discovery. Some folks like the unkown, the adventure, and the unexpected.

It's kind of like parking coordinates. Shouldn't be required, but in some cases they may be helpful to prevent cachers from parking illegally/unsafely.

If I had a dog, it would be nice to be able to easily see whether I can bring Rover or not.

If I'm bringing my kids, it would be nice to know if everyone had to go potty before we left home or if there are bathrooms there.

Disclaimer: By using the words "parking coordinates" I do not mean to dredge up that topic again. It was only used here as an example. Please! No more dead equines!

I like what it's there for. It's nice to have that information on a cache page.

What it looks like on a cache page is another matter entirely. It looks like it was designed for some other site entirely. The end result is just messy and unattractive.

Sorry.

I think it's pretty slick and a nice way to spice up a cache page. Have to remember there are not as many "die hards" out there as some might think. Lots of folks just out there to have a good time so providing them that info is nice. Besides, who wants to drive out to a cache and realize it requires climbing and is surrounded by cactus? :mad:

I just don't use them. I suppose at a glance they are helpful, but most of those things can put be put in the text if needed.

The Texas ones are nice, but there are several 'sets' out there, If people are going to have to have a legend to fingure out what they mean each time anyways, I might as well just put whatever images I like on the page.

The only "surprises" the selector takes from the cache experience, as far as I can tell, are the potentially bad ones. Most of the local cachers I've met like challenges and adventure, but some of them get quite testy about bad surprises - things that should have been mentioned on the cache page.

I use this and I think it's great. Most of the caches in the DFW area where I live are urban caches. Many of these caches you could do wearing a suit on your lunch hour. Some of them are not appropriate for this - really not appropriate! It's nice to know if the cache is going to be OK for a lunch hour. It's not pleasant to go back to your 2 o'clock meeting smelling like creek water!

I like to night cache. The crime rate in the city of Dallas is pretty horrendous. It's nice to know if a cache is suitable for night caching or not. (There is a selector icon for this too.)

Cool but -

Just the text please. The KISS principle...

I agree that slapping the big Texas Table on your cache page makes it look a little unruly, but if it were incorporated into the site, the caches pages could be redesigned slightly so they don't look so out-of-place. Perhaps add a narrow table column down the right side to hold the icons.

Is for screwing up pages downloaded to a handheld, the attributes could be incorporated into the GPX standard so your PDA software could then take advantage of it and display it in its own way.

It sure would be nice if it output something resembling legal HTML.

<IMAGE> is not a legal HTML tag. IE might not care about such trivialities, but the HTML parser I'm trying to shoehorn into GPSBabel sure does.

Sorry about that! One of those things on the ToDo list that I keetp forgetting about. Its fixed now. In the Dot Com Dayz I used to teach HTML ~ I'm getting lazy or dumb in my old age. :D

If you're interested, I added a Trailhead icon that is similar to the Parking coordinates thing but Trailhead shows a link to Topozone instead of Mapquest.

Topozone only has maps for the US, so keep that in mind.

Personally I think 9key has come out with a great little program for those interested. For those of you who says it gives away the surprise of the hunt I really don't understand. I dress accordingly for all caches I go for and to know there is poison ivy (I'm highly allergic apparently) or ravaging thorns I'd rather know about it before hand. I use it on caches I need to give specific warnings or parking coords for and then don't use it when its not necessary. Its a great geocaching app to have on hand though no doubt!

I know more than a few of us don't read the entire cache description when browsing potential caches to hit next and having the park fee right there in easy sight is very helpful as well.

Edited by pnew

I like these, but for a different reason. I think they are a good checklist for folks hiding caches. I agree that not every cache should have a description that tells you every single detail to expect. The mystery is part of the fun. However I recently did a cache with terrain rated 1, which, although it was mostly flat, had a steep grass hill to exit the parking area, was very muddy, and was set back 100 feet in very thick bamboo. If I had been with someone in a wheelchair are even with a walker or cane it would not have been possible. This is a cache that most people would be driving a while to reach, not just popping over to at lunchtime. The checklist can help cache hiders to remember to think of people who aren't like them. A checklist that says "yes" or "no" about physical limitations, children, dogs, and other safety concerns are not the sorts of things that ruin a cache. But they can do a lot to prevent disappointment or injury.

:D It is cool. but all the images are on site outside of geocaching.com. Each time a cache page is accessed with these images, they must be loaded from the texas geocaching website which in turn lowers GC.COM's bandwidth. :blink: If anything, this generator needs to be incorporated into GC.COM for everyone to use, who wants it. <_< Edited by Hogarth
:D It is cool. but all the images are on site outside of geocaching.com. Each time a cache page is accessed with these images, they must be loaded from the texas geocaching website which in turn lowers GC.COM's bandwidth. <_< If anything, this generator needs to be incorporated into GC.COM for everyone to use, who wants it. :blink:

Excellent idea. :blink:

Of course this would happen with the Texas group's permission. :blink:

:D It is cool. but all the images are on site outside of geocaching.com. Each time a cache page is accessed with these images, they must be loaded from the texas geocaching website which in turn lowers GC.COM's bandwidth. :blink: If anything, this generator needs to be incorporated into GC.COM for everyone to use, who wants it. <_<

I'm not an internet expert, but I am pretty sure that pictures from other servers won't effect gc.com bandwidth. Primarily because your browswer sees the image link from a separate server and asks that server for the image. The server that contains the picture will be bandwidth impacted, but gc.com is better off not having images stored and transfered from it's server(s).

I like it and have used it on my caches to help others out. It makes my cache more informative. When I go caching it's nice to know if dogs are allowed and out-of-towners are allowed in. There are many areas outside of NYC where you have to be a resident to park or enter. Info like that saves a wasted trip.

It would be nice for gc com to have something similar. A checklist would remind many to add this kind of info before they post their caches.

Alan

To clairfy: the pictures outside of geocaching.com do not pass through the geocaching.com server. Having outside images lightens the load on the server and connections. Your browser chooses how to render the img tag in the HTML and if it wants it can send a request to the texas site for the images. That request will probably never been seen by geocaching.com.

For purposes of bandwith and server load, outside images are a "good thing".

Edited by bons
:D It is cool. but all the images are on site outside of geocaching.com. Each time a cache page is accessed with these images, they must be loaded from the texas geocaching website which in turn lowers GC.COM's bandwidth.  <_< If anything, this generator needs to be incorporated into GC.COM for everyone to use, who wants it.  :blink:

I'm not an internet expert, but I am pretty sure that pictures from other servers won't effect gc.com bandwidth. Primarily because your browswer sees the image link from a separate server and asks that server for the image. The server that contains the picture will be bandwidth impacted, but gc.com is better off not having images stored and transfered from it's server(s).

The only impact it might have is that if the Texas server is under heavy load and it takes awhile for those images to load, it might delay the loading of the rest of a cache page which will in turn, make it seem as though the GC.com server is slow, when in fact it is just waiting...

The Cheeseheads Posted: Feb 16 2004, 06:14 AM 
(jfegel @ Feb 15 2004, 10:12 PM)
(Hogarth @ Feb 15 2004, 05:04 PM)

It is cool. but all the images are on site outside of geocaching.com. Each time a cache page is accessed with these images, they must be loaded from the texas geocaching website which in turn lowers GC.COM's bandwidth.  If anything, this generator needs to be incorporated into GC.COM for everyone to use, who wants it.

The only impact it might have is that if the Texas server is under heavy load and it takes awhile for those images to load, it might delay the loading of the rest of a cache page which will in turn, make it seem as though the GC.com server is slow, when in fact it is just waiting...

<_< I think you're right... It would impact the Texas server and not GC.Com... What was I thinking? :D Roses are red violets are blue, if you touch my gps, I'll have to hurt you..

Edited by Hogarth

If you think of an icon that isn't on the page, one that would appear to other cachers, feel free to email me. Many of the icons are from cacher suggestions.

Thanks for the kind comments! :o

genoist:

i have a set of images on my own server that i use. i don't like the idea of linking other people's images.
Each to his own I guess. :(