Taking A Ca Vacation!

Imajika

Hi there! I am going to be in CA Feb 10-15. Specifically, I'll be visiting Travis Air Force Base. It's near Sacramento, Vacaville and Fairfield, CA. I want to go get some vacation caches!

Can anyone recommend some good caches in the general area? I would love to get every cache in the area but I only have 5 days in CA and the people I'll be with aren't into caching as much as I am. I was hoping someone out there could recommend some of the better ones for me to find. By the way, we will be spending one day in San Francisco too...so if you have cache recommendations there, I'd appreciate it!

THANKS!

Sorry Carleen. You can go with me next time and we can make it a road trip...we can get every cache between Nebraska and California. :mad:

It will be a good vacation though. Right now in Denver, it's snowing and 15 degrees. It's been snowing all day. I LOVE the winter time so it doesn't bother me. It's just going to be weird packing lighter clothes and no heavy winter coat to go on this trip. :mad:

If you can con the rest of the party into a trip to Tahoe, "TahoeJoe" has some great virtuals that would work well with a non-caching crowd*. If not post a not and let me know which caches worked out, I want to do a caching trip to Sac. this summer. Thanks.

carleenp Posted on Jan 31 2004, 06:02 PM

I am jealous and will think of you being warm when you are there
The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.-Mark Twain

*Just one more reason virtual are OK.

So, what kind of caches are 'good' caches for you? Do you want multis, or micros, or larger? Urban, cache-and-dash or hikes?

Fairfield doesn't have so many, but Vacaville has more than 20, and you can pretty much find anything you want.

I'm in Vacaville, and have hunted almost all of the caches in the county. Let me know if one kind or another appeals to you and maybe how complicated you want and I can make more specific recommendations. :D

Ah I guess that would help! I prefer traditional caches (can't say no to an ammo box!:D ), but I also like micros. Unfortunately, I don't think the people that will be with me will agree to any multi's. They are not caching people but they agreed to go with me just so I can grab caches in another state. :D

I also want to drop off a couple of TB's while I am there. I want to see how long they take to get back to Colorado. :D

I am going to start loading waypoints and printing maps this weekend. Hopefully some more people can make recommendations so I can grab some decent caches out there.

And by the way, THANKS to everyone who has emailed me. I really appreciate it!

If you're going to be in the Fairfield/San Francisco area, you'll be close enough to Napa (you can drive through Napa from SF - taking the long route - enroute back to Fairfield) and you might like some of these:

and if you're up to doing some research in that area you'll find anything created by "Huntnlady", "Standord Gal", "InspGadget" to be interesting. If I were to rate the difficulty of their hides, I'd rate Huntnlady most difficult and InspGadget most accomodating.

In the greater Fairfield area there is much to choose from. But I can't personally recommend any.

I would suggest, however, that you avoid wandering about Fairfield late at night unless you know precisely where you are and what you might run into.

You'd have lots of fun, if you have access to a bike, riding the trails (which run roughly from Natomas to Sacramento - and you'll want to travel in that direction cuz it's downhill) and searching for caches along the route.

There are more caches along this route than you could hit in a week of Sundays.

Welcome to California.... and good luck. :P

Here's a look at the trail area map. Zoom out to level 7.

(edit for typos - lot's of 'em)

Edited by gallahad