Sporttrax Map, Or Etrex Legend

I want to know which of these two systems is better for the following senarios. I am going to Iraq and I want a good mapping gps unit even if all I can get are topo maps of the ares, and I also want a good system for geocaching when I return home, or if I deside to post one over there somewhere (pretty extreme imo). I'd also like to get the better system of the two in duriblity, reliance, and features. I can get the Legend for 160 , and the sporttrax for 170 w/ 30 mail in rebate. I am leaning towards the sporttrax because my buddy bought one yesterday and we can share mapping programs, plus the rebate is nice but I have heard bad things about people not getting the rebates, What is my best bet?

I'm a Garmin guy.

I've had a Legend (now upgraded to a Vista) that I used hunting, hiking, offshore fishing, freshwater fishing, etc.

Garmin makes great, rugged units, plus they are coming out with new mapping products almost weekly.

Garmin's stock is high rated and they are committed to growth as a company implying years of service and upgrades.

- Just one man's opinion.

I cannot comment on the SportTrak.... because I have a Garmin Legend.

This unit is a great all around unit, with mapping capabilities, nice navigation around the menus, etc., and compact.

I would recommend the Legend to anyone looking to buy a GPS. Only drawback I can think of is the screen size. Not everyone could effectively read it!

Bozz

About two weeks ago I had the great priviledge of having a Garmin Etrek Legend (mine) in one hand and a SportTrak (my sisters) in the other hand for a side by side test as we were running around Spokane Washington looking for caches. This was the first time I had ever used a Magellan SportTrak, I have been a Garmin Etrek user for about four years now and love them. So keep this in mind as I am sure that I wasn't using the SportTrak to it's fullest potential.

This is what I found:

-Satellite lock: the Legend would aquire a satellite lock generally 2-3 times faster then the SportTrak. This was consistant in both wooded and open areas. Not just once or twice but consistantly.

-Mapping: I liked the SportTraks map much better then the Garmins. We had base maps loaded on both units. The SportTrak was faster in updating our position and direction on the map as we were zipping around Spokane.

-Directional pointer: Garmin wins this one. Much bigger than SportTraks and easier to see. I use the directional pointer a lot, so this was a big deal for me.

-Size: the Legend is smaller in size then the SportTrak...not a lot, but enough to where I noticed it by the end of the day. Just seems more compact.

-Lanyard: the Garmin comes with a lanyard and the SportTrak didn't. I thought that was strange. With me a lanyard is a must.

-Ease of use: Well this goes both ways. I like the Garmins button layout. You can do everything with one hand. I wasn't used to the SportTrak button layout, so it really wasn't a true test there. One thing about the SportTrak that I will rate way above the Legend is the way that it shows the waypoint description along with the waypoint name when you are going through your available waypoints. That is really cool! When we would head out to a new cache, I would have to look up the waypoint name from my stack of cache print outs just to tell which waypoint to load on my Legend. With the SportTrak my sister could tell which waypoint to load up just by looking at the description on the screen. I'll say it again...that feature is cool!

Which would I buy now after using both of them? It would still be a Garmin Legend! I'm not knocking Magellan (not too bad anyway), they do have some good features. But not enough of them to make me want to buy them. I do know first hand that Garmins are a tough unit. I use mine hunting, biking and geocaching and it's been through a lot.

I hope this helps.

I am a Magellan guy. I'm not a big fan of the eTrex's at all. I think they are overpriced, and when I used one side by side with my SporTrak, the Garmin failed miserably, in reception, and user interface. However, in your case, I may suggest the eTrex. They are just fine for caching, so that is not my concern. I know if I was running around Iraq (thank god I'm not) I would want the smallest, most rugged thing I could find. I am speaking pretty much from a "durability" standpoint here. I would never buy an eTrex personally, but they may stand up to abuse better than a SporTrak.

The SporTraks float also, I don't know if that is any incentive.

As far as a lanyard, every sporTrak I've ever seen comes with one. The directional pointer is a petty difference. They are both arrows, and they both point you in the right direction. Big deal if Garmin's is better. Also, the resolution is great on the eTrex, but I think the font size is way too small.

Also, the rebates will come. They just take a while. If you are persistant, they will always send them.

So, coming from an anti eTrex person (not anti Garmin) I am reccomending the eTrex for your specific needs. I think it will suit you better. You can stick them in your pocket, and not worry about it.

I would't buy either of them!My advice is to get one of the Magellan meridians!The reason why i'm saying this is that you can add memory up to 512Mb that lets you load lots of waypoints and routes and maps!Why be stuck with anything you cannot add memory to!I've used the legend and the sportrak,the meridians are also easier to use!

I am going to Iraq and I want a good mapping gps unit even if all I can get are topo maps of the ares, and I also want a good system for geocaching when I return home

Your decision might be determined more by the map software you will have to use than the GPSr features. AFAIK (I'm more of a Magellanic) both units will only allow upload and display of their manufacturers' proprietary software.

I'm not certain of the Magellan offering on this count, but I don't think it's very good. The program that probably would give you the most detail is the MapSend WorldWide Basemap, and that more than likely will only have a road or two running up and down the length of the country. It does appear to have some topography information, but I would not expect a lot. Hopefully, someone with the product (I don't have it) can take a look and give you a better description. I only know that most people seem to be disappointed when they learn of the level of detail offered by WW Basemap.

I'm afraid I don't know what Garmin can offer you in terms of Iraq map software.