Cachemate 3.4

Maeglin

Would it be possible to have cachemate available as a desktop application also so that it can be dealt with off the palm?

In the near future? No, not really.

(new FAQ entry on that subject... was getting tired of answering the same question with the same answer in each version update thread)

Also, what is the extention '.prc' as those are the parts of the cachemate program that I can install on my palm.  I note that some of the things in cachemate are only able to be installed on the memory stick. They have other than a '.prc' extension. Up until now I have NOT trid to install those files.  Does that mean anything in a functional sort of way?

PRC files are generally programs or libraries for Palm OS. Generally, those and/or PDB files are all that you need to install on the PDA. Everything else usually stays on the desktop machine. In the case of CacheMate, there are several PRC files that you won't need... sounds like you're using a Sony device, so you won't be needing the ones for the Tungsten T3, and as far as the plugins go you can pick and choose which based on the functionality you want to add.

>>>>>>>>>>>PRC files are generally programs or libraries for Palm OS. Generally, those and/or PDB files are all that you need to install on the PDA. Everything else usually stays on the desktop machine. In the case of CacheMate, there are several PRC files that you won't need... sounds like you're using a Sony device, so you won't be needing the ones for the Tungsten >>>>>>>

Thank you very much for that info. I am using a Sony and I did not put the Tungsten on it.

That basic info on .prc/.pdb files is good to know. Sometimes some of us are a bit lagging in the terminology and there doesn't always seem to be info on some of the more basic stuff. On these forums I often see terms that are used in explanations that are 'assumed' as known that are foreign to me (and others, I am sure)

Example 'parsed'. I now know more or less that it is a process of conversion.

Anyway, I think cachemate is a good product and am moving paperless, although I am not a mega-cacher.

CacheMate 3.4 was released today, with one-shot GPS location query (as is used by the nearest cache search and waypoint marking functions) reimplemented as a plugin role.

I purchased CacheMate from the website on February 2nd. The version I received was v3.3, now why would they have those of us purchasing after the release date still purchasing an older version??? :P

I of course would want the updated version...now what?! Hmmpfffff

Edited by StashSeeker
I purchased CacheMate from the website on February 2nd. The version I received was v3.3, now why would they have those of us purchasing after the release date still purchasing an older version??? :P

By the way, since the date I downloaded the program I have continually struggled with problems. For the life of me I cannot figure out what I've done wrong.

None of the hints, descriptions, past logs appear when HotSync'd. Yes I clicked all the boxes so that these files would transfer when using the converter. I've also uninstalled CacheMate, reinstalled, redone the queries in a number of ways, and I'm still not up and running.

I'm using the PALM T3 and yes I installed the special files that Cachemate has requested done for the T3.

Has anyone run into this problem? Any solutions? Acccck!

All you need to get the latest version is download it and install it over your current version.

But before you do that go to the "Option" menu in Cachemate itself and click "About Cachemate" to see what version you actually have, sometimes the filename for the download .zip isn't updated.

With regards to the Descriptions & hints not showing up Learned Gerbil is right, get a virgin GPX file, convert it with cmconvert and all will be fine.

Cachemate is one of the most stable programs I've used on my Palm, if you take time to read the manual you won't have any problems.

-S.

Edited by Peztone

Just download the newest file and load it the same way you did the other one. Just install overtop of the old program.

So far, CacheMate has had free upgrades for life. And a new version about once a month.

As for your missing data problems:

1) Are you importing a LOC file? LOC files don't have that information. You'll have to become a premium member of Geocaching ($3/mo or $30/year) and have a PocketQuery emailed to you (suggest you have it sent in ZIP format to avoid problems.) Then that PQ in GPX format can be loaded into CacheMate.

2) The other common problem is that you've loaded the GPX file into EasyGPS and it stripped out all those fields. I saw the procedure outlined in the other message, but as long as you don't make any changes in EasyGPS it's OK. But if you make and changes and save it, goodbye hints, descriptions, and everything else. Go back and dig up your original GPX file and load it into CMConvert and you'll be OK.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you looking on those pages? Each feature you mentioned is on a different page, which you select in the upper right-hand corner. Where it says Info, tap on the triangle, & you get a dropdown list of the other pages.

If you already are doing this, my apologies, but it's hard to tell from text exactly how much the poster really knows.

The Garmin plugin has been updated to version 1.21. The update includes some improvements with handling communication problems (retries, and alerts if necessary initialization replies aren't received from the GPSr). If you're not currently having any problems, then this update doesn't affect you at all.

A suggestion for the documentation.

Many people post here saying they do not understand how to get caches installed on their Palm. I can't see in the Cachemate documation file where it says a conversion utility is needed.

People follow the step by step getting started section, and then don't see anything to tell them what to do next.

Maybe it should have another step saying that either caches can be entered manualy, entered using the memo template, or uploaded from pocket queries using a conversion utility.

Many people post here saying they do not understand how to get caches installed on their Palm. I can't see in the Cachemate documation file where it says a conversion utility is needed.

Someone is working on a quick start guide (similar to the one for Spinner/Plucker, I'd presume... not sure, though) and, when it's done, I'll either be posting it on the site and referencing it in the download package, or including a copy of it in the download.

People follow the step by step getting started section, and then don't see anything to tell them what to do next.

Maybe it should have another step saying that either caches can be entered manualy, entered using the memo template, or uploaded from pocket queries using a conversion utility.

I just helped Maeglin with a Quick Start instructions. I hope this helps you.

What are Cetus and Mapopolis?

This is exactly why I link to the respective web sites of Cetus GPS and Mapopolis when describing the plugins for them :unsure:

Incidentally, the latest Garmin plugin also supports getting your current location from a Garmin GPSr, using their own protocol. Of course, it also now requires version 3.4 because of that.

I just helped Maeglin with a Quick Start instructions.

...which is now on the site, in the User Contrib section. It's there as a ZIP file download right now, but I may end up putting up an unpacked version... depends on how greedy the new stats package on my hosting account is with my disk quota (it's around 550K packed, with all the screenshots).

I just helped Maeglin with a Quick Start instructions. I hope this helps you.

Here is the help file I was speaking of. Again...this is a GREAT piece of software and a bargain at $7.

Edited by kayakanimal

Alright, I upgraded from 3.2 to 3.4, I think. I have it installed on my computer, but how do I upgrade the version on my palm zire. I used 3.4 to put the files into the palm, but in the options category on the palm it still says version 3.2 in the "about cachemate" file. How can I tell if I have 3.4 installed on my palm? Thanks for the help.

Alright, I upgraded from 3.2 to 3.4, I think.  I have it installed on my computer, but how do I upgrade the version on my palm zire.  I used 3.4 to put the files into the palm, but in the options category on the palm it still says version 3.2 in the "about cachemate" file.  How can I tell if I have 3.4  installed on my palm?  Thanks for the help.

Find the CacheMate.prc file in what you downloaded, double-click it (will start the Install tool and add that file), and Hotsync. You should be good to go then. You're looking in the right place as far as seeing what version is on the PDA (the About box).

I have it now.  But I would like to know, what is the benefit of presetting all the caches to found?

It's not presetting... just setting. If you move a bunch of caches to the Found (or another) category, and forgot to mark them as found on the log page, you can mark that for the entire category.

It seems the Win32 additions to the GPL'ed CMConvert source were missing some things...

- Explicitly specifying a binary file when creating the PDB file (leave it to M$ to munge yet another standard)

- Compensating for the backwards (literally) path separator in Windows

Thanks to ClydeE and NightPilot for alerting me to the first problem. I doubt anyone has seen the 2nd one yet, besides me, since it only really affects things if you specify input or output names without extensions... anyway, now it's fixed <_<

Version 1.8.1 of the source package and the Windows command-line build are now on the site. The Windows GUI version wasn't affected, so it's still at 1.8.0.

Edited by Maeglin

I finally got a serial hotsync cable for my treo 300, null modem adapter, and a gender changer so I can connect my treo straight through to my gps. I can't get cachemate to talk to it though.

I've tried Treo - serial cable - null modem - gender changer - gps cable - etrex vista

and also

Treo - serial cable -gender changer - null modem - gps cable - etrex vista

The gender changer is male to male. The null modem is male to female.

I can sync the treo using the serial cable and I can transfer waypoints no problem to the gps with the gps cable. The only questions then are the gender changer and null modem adapter.

I haven't changed any settings on either the gps or cachemate. I'm using the garmin upload tool with cachemate 3.4.

When I try to query or upload waypoints, I get an error message saying there was no response from the gps.

Has anyone else gotten this to work?

Jeff

Edited by boulter

First, make sure the Vista is set to Garmin protocol. It has to be set to Garmin for waypoint upload/download, but to NMEA in/out for driving a GPS program on the Palm or PC. The next thing I would check is the pins in the null modem, gender changer, etc. If all these check out, I don't have any other ideas at the moment.

I finally got a serial hotsync cable for my treo 300, null modem adapter, and a gender changer so I can connect my treo straight through to my gps. I can't get cachemate to talk to it though.

You might try another null modem adapter. There are different ways to wire one and the way you have may not work for some reason.

Being portable devices, both the Treo and the GPS may be taking shortcuts with the serial drivers and it may create problems.

Yes. This was the problem I had getting Cachemate (and Tom Tom and Fugawi) on my Clie to talk to my Magellan. Clie's have non-standard serial ports that rely on the other end to provide a 5-12v current.

This is because it is designed to expect to only communicate with computers, and not with otherserial devices. The Treo is probably the same.

I tried your null modem set up, and tried a different adaptor and none of this worked for me. The solution for me was to buy a dedicated cable that is wired to fool the Clie.

Mine came from Pc-Mobile.com, but I notice that the Hansdspring cables they sell do not appear ot work with al lHandspring devices, and if they do work, they only allow the Treo to recieved data, for example, for navigation. not send it, as cachemate does.

I recommend you e-mai lthe guy at Pc-Mobile, he seems helpful and if there is a solution he may have it.

Being portable devices, both the Treo and the GPS may be taking shortcuts with the serial drivers and it may create problems.

One example...

Someone had a similar problem with a T3 and posted it to my own forums, and later figured it out on his own. Seems that the T3 has hardware flow control turned on full time, whether or not the software turns it on (I know I'm not doing it in that plugin, and actually none of them do automatically anymore I believe). Who knows... the Treo may be doing the same thing.

This guy got around it by tweaking the wiring of the connector on the PDA side, but a null modem adapter that fakes both sides out would do the same.

This guy got around it by tweaking the wiring of the connector on the PDA side, but a null modem adapter that fakes both sides out would do the same.

That all depends on how the null modem is wired. Some may be wired to "fold back" all the handshake lines which in effect disables them, but most will "send though" and rely on the other device to either supply those lines or do a "fold back" from the other end. But I'm not sure that GPS cables do any fold back. I do know that garmins don't have any handshake lines from the GPS side.

RS-232 was defined to connect a dumb modem to a terminal, but it's been adopted to be used for just about everything else. Between the dual voltages and no less then 5 handshake lines (CTS, RTS, DTR, DSR, CD) there's been a lot of bastardizing of the standard when trying to adapt it to other uses. How the CD line in particular is folded back or null modemed can be different.

I've got a working navigation plugin now. There's still some work to be done, mainly in aesthetics and some optimization, but functionally it's pretty much done. If anyone wants to try it out as it currently is, here's a download link:

http://www.smittyware.com/download/CacheNav.zip

It works with the same variety of GPSrs that CacheMate did before 3.4, pretty much any NMEA-speaking unit and the Garmin iQue. You can launch it by itself and it'll just display information from the GPSr... if you launch it as a plugin (tapping the "Nav" button while looking at a CM record), it will enter a "go to" mode pointing you to those coordinates. The minimum OS version for this thing is 3.5, due mainly to the graphics functions used.

I'm especially interested in the satellite display when used on an iQue, mainly because I don't have one, and the iQue simulator doesn't pass that info from a connected GPSr. On the iQue, WAAS-corrected satellites should be highlighted with a blue signal strength bar. NMEA doesn't carry that information (just whether or not you've got a DGPS fix), so I couldn't try that out either.

I'm especially interested in the satellite display when used on an iQue, mainly because I don't have one, and the iQue simulator doesn't pass that info from a connected GPSr.  On the iQue, WAAS-corrected satellites should be highlighted with a blue signal strength bar.  NMEA doesn't carry that information (just whether or not you've got a DGPS fix), so I couldn't try that out either.

I tried this today on my iQue. It looks very neat. I have a couple of observations.

1. Although it was 'directing' me I saw no satellites on the sat page.

2. The Speed indication did not function - it was firmly stuck on 0mi/h.

Hope this helps you.

I tried this today on my iQue. It looks very neat. I have a couple of observations.

Just the kind of feedback I needed :P

I've just uploaded a version that should fix both of those. #1 was something I missed in the iQue GPS code, and #2 was a mistake in the calcs that I wouldn't have to do if the iQue reported speed in knots like NMEA 0183 does. Let me know if the problems still exist, or if this does in fact fix them. Thanks!

Edited by Maeglin

Tried it on my IIIc today and all seemed well. Nice work as usual!!!

Quote from Maeglin

"You can launch it by itself and it'll just display information from the GPSr... if you launch it as a plugin (tapping the "Nav" button while looking at a CM record), it will enter a "go to" mode pointing you to those coordinates"

Figured out the Nav "goto" easy enough but how do I launch it by itself to display GPSR info?

Figured out the Nav "goto" easy enough but how do I launch it by itself to display GPSR info?

Same way you start CacheMate... from the launcher :smile:

It's the first CM plugin so far that can also work independently as a separate app. CacheMate isn't required in order to run it, but there's some functionality (the "go to" mode) that you're missing out on without the two being together.

I recently downloaded Cachemate onto my Palm IIIxe. And I actually got it working. I manage to get all the cache information. However when I get my PQs from Geocaching.com and load them up, the hints are always decoded. I have to manually select each new cache and recode them all. Is this normal operation or have I missed something? :smile:

I recently downloaded Cachemate onto my Palm IIIxe. And I actually got it working. I manage to get all the cache information. However when I get my PQs from Geocaching.com and load them up, the hints are always decoded. I have to manually select each new cache and recode them all. Is this normal operation or have I missed something? :smile:

NEVER had that happen

m515 os4.1

Maeglin,

Just saw you had the beta nav plugin up. I'm glad I scrolled up the page!! Working fine with my Sony NX80 and Socket Bluetooth GPS. Popped in and out of a couple caches and everything seemed to hookup well. I like your interface better than Cetus, having not to go into a "menu" to get different info on the screen. Very nice. Everything hooks together very nicely as well. I love that exiting the nav app automatically brings me back to Cachemate.

YOU HAVE CREATED THE PERFECT CACHING APP!!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Now if I was just willing to pony up the $100 for the "new" Mapopolis...

Nav plugin doesnt work for me....

palm m515 os 4.1 with the Mag Nav Campanion GPS

I can get cooods fram gps for nearest search but the nav plugin constantly says NO FIX

When you got the the coords with the nearest cache search, did it give you a warning message that it couldn't get a positive fix? The nav plugin isn't as forgiving in that respect. In fact, the only reason I made the one-shot location query that forgiving was because my Garmin units would report an invalid fix while in demo mode, at least in the part of the NMEA output that that code looked for.

Another possibility is that the plugin isn't getting anything from the device, but that doesn't make much sense as the serial code is basically the same and you're able to use it with the NMEA plugin. Does the satellite info display work?

Nav plugin doesnt work for me....

palm m515 os 4.1 with the Mag Nav Campanion GPS

I can get cooods fram gps for nearest search but the nav plugin constantly says NO FIX

When you got the the coords with the nearest cache search, did it give you a warning message that it couldn't get a positive fix? The nav plugin isn't as forgiving in that respect. In fact, the only reason I made the one-shot location query that forgiving was because my Garmin units would report an invalid fix while in demo mode, at least in the part of the NMEA output that that code looked for.

Another possibility is that the plugin isn't getting anything from the device, but that doesn't make much sense as the serial code is basically the same and you're able to use it with the NMEA plugin. Does the satellite info display work?

no warning for the nearest search

no info on the satalite page display.

Just the kind of feedback I needed :smile:

I've just uploaded a version that should fix both of those. #1 was something I missed in the iQue GPS code, and #2 was a mistake in the calcs that I wouldn't have to do if the iQue reported speed in knots like NMEA 0183 does. Let me know if the problems still exist, or if this does in fact fix them. Thanks!

Glad to be of help :mad: .

I'm gonna download the new version and give it a go tomorrow. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Cheers.

Sounds like it might be the serial code, then. One last question... what baud rate are you running at? If it's higher than 4800, have you tried it at that baud rate? I'll double-check the serial code between the nav and NMEA plugins tonight. The baud rate thing might give me an idea where to look.

Just the kind of feedback I needed :mad:

Hi Brian

First obs of V0.91 used on the iQue.

1. While in Sat view the cardinal point N is either being shown as '255' or is covered by the numbers '255'. (Pre-post edit - that's odd, I've just looked again and N is there - 255 is not! Another pre-post edit, on coming back indoors the 255 has appeared again - is it 2 sats virtually on top of each other I wonder).

2. While in Sat view and GPS inactive (flip antenna closed) top right of screen shows '3D Fix' and 10 Sats show 5 dot signal strength.

3. When antenna is activated 1. above still applies.

4. With activated antenna all received sig strengths appear as max (five dots). 2D fix followed by 3D fix displayed and all info seems to be correct as best as I can tell. Didn't stay ooutside too long, it's dadgum cold here in the UK :smile: .

5. On deactivating the GPS Sat screen still shows 3D fix and 11 sats at 5 dots strength.

6. Screen 'flickers' about every 2 seconds (presume this is to do with polling or something).

All in all this app looks fantastic - an excellent addition to the iQue for sure!

Hope this helps you.

Sounds like it might be the serial code, then. One last question... what baud rate are you running at? If it's higher than 4800, have you tried it at that baud rate? I'll double-check the serial code between the nav and NMEA plugins tonight. The baud rate thing might give me an idea where to look.

i tried it at 4800, 2400, 9600