Cachemate 3.4

Maeglin

CacheMate 3.4 was released today, with one-shot GPS location query (as is used by the nearest cache search and waypoint marking functions) reimplemented as a plugin role. The Garmin upload and iQue plugins were updated to support this, and one was created to keep support for the NMEA protocol.

Other changes:

- Option to display waypoint as name when sorting by waypoint

- Option to add hunt end date/time to exported logs (so memos will sort by timestamp)

- Record view selection by popup trigger or pushbuttons

- Ability to mark the "found" checkbox for all records in a category

- Fixed the "preserve old category" option not saving

- Fixed distance conversion factors for waypoint projection

CMConvert 1.8 is also out, with the ability to generate an HTML page with images and other links from HTML cache descriptions. It also adds support for statute miles in the radius filter, and a warning for missing descriptions in geocache GPX files.

Other plugin updates:

- Distance converter was updated with more accurate conversion factors

- Export plugin added for Mapopolis for Palm OS 5

As always, please check the documentation and FAQ before asking something. That's what they're there for :rolleyes:

Edited by Maeglin
i really dont mean to be a pest... how is the navigation thing coming along?

I've got some research done on that, but hardly any code. Hopefully soon that will change, though. In the meantime, you can always export to Cetus... it'll basically be a simplified variation of that, but with no database (as it already has one :mad: ) and a "return to CacheMate" button when it's launched as a plugin.

i use the navcompanion app that came with my gps mainly cause it is searchable and doesnt have the button locks. i look at a cache in cachemate and highlite the GC#### and hit find, it finds it in the navcomp app and away i go.

cetus is good and all but it is not intuitive to ME. cachemate is just layed out in a way that my brain totaly understands. and as such for benchmark hunting i thought it would be cool if i could just use cachemate to get me NEAR the coords and follow the description from there.

navcompanion software 'can' handle 2500+ wpts at a time, BUT it becomes like molassas in january at more than about 600, so i keep it at about 500+/-

well back to using cetus for now. i hope it goes well on this project. if you need a beta tester i am always willing to crash my palm for science and geocaching :mad:

i run a m515 btw OSv4.1 soon i hope to upgrade.

Wow, I only just got 3.31 installed a few day ago! A great peice of software for only $7. Makes caching much more fun for someone likeme that refuses to print pages.

I keep finding new features all the time. Just realized that you had added cache type/status columns in list views. A VERY welcome addition to the program.

You have to manually select and cut the text of the template out of the field.

If it was automatically in there without your using a menu option, check the options you have set in CMConvert. It doesn't put that template in there, manually or automatically, until you tell it to.

You have to manually select and cut the text of the template out of the field.

If it was automatically in there without your using a menu option, check the options you have set in CMConvert. It doesn't put that template in there, manually or automatically, until you tell it to.

Thanks for the quick reply. Found the box and unchecked it.

I don't know about other GPS's but with my Magellan Sportrak I have customized the screens to give me the date and time as I'm caching. I hate having to ask each time I sign the log book. It gets embarrassing. :) That and "Where am I?" The log feature is great and I've used it many times but during the winter I usually wait 'til I get back to the truck to log it on my PDA. Brrr..

Cachemate users can answer this question:

Does Cachemate display the last 5 log entries along with each cache page? I am currently using spinner/plucker, but I am thinking this would be easier. I just couldn't find any screenshots or information in the FAQ or documentation that indicated that log entries are included.

Thanks!

Does Cachemate display the last 5 log entries along with each cache page?

I think so. I've only used it for benchmarks. :D

But you can download and run it for free. You're just limited to 10 caches and 2KB in the description. Register it and it goes to unlimited number and 8KB.

Does Cachemate display the last 5 log entries along with each cache page?

It can. You just need to tell the file converter to include them.

Admittedly, the screenshots are out of date, in more ways than that. The fact that it can import those is in the change history, though... look at the entry for version 2.0.

I think so.  I've only used it for benchmarks.  :D

Just gave me a thought. What if BMGPX converted all of those log entries toward the end of a data sheet into log entries in the GPX file? Would at least be more consistent, then, with what it was trying to emulate. Hrm.... :D

Does Cachemate display the last 5 log entries along with each cache page?  I am currently using spinner/plucker, but I am thinking this would be easier.

When you run cmconvert on the GPX file you have the option of how many logs you want. The counter will scroll all the way up to 10 logs. I haven't tried 10 logs I always set it at 3 just my personal preference. I used GPX2html/Plucker very similar set up as yours and I would never go back, Cachemate is much easier to use IMHO.

Maeglin you snuck that post in while I was distracted by the kids. :D

Edited by IMLost
Just gave me a thought. What if BMGPX converted all of those log entries toward the end of a data sheet into log entries in the GPX file? Would at least be more consistent, then, with what it was trying to emulate. Hrm.... :D

Uhhhhh, maybe. The problem is the "logs" are the description. It's as if each finder gives more information to assist later finders with locating the cache. There is no "cache owner's" description page.

One thing I need to find out soon is how well merging works. In benchmarking there is no "cache type", difficulty or terrain. So I manually put those in on my palm so I have some idea of what my mark is from the main page.

But I fear that any updates I load will wipe that out. :D Plus there is no way for me to export my CacheMate database back to a GPX file to allow other utilities to work with the data. If there was a way for me to update only the description page by merging then I'd be in good shape. This is the main reason I haven't worked out how the newer CMConverts are doing - I've invested too much time on the palm end and can't risk wiping everything out.

Cachemate users can answer this question:

Does Cachemate display the last 5 log entries along with each cache page? I am currently using spinner/plucker, but I am thinking this would be easier. I just couldn't find any screenshots or information in the FAQ or documentation that indicated that log entries are included.

Thanks!

actually if there is a cache with a note from you or a find you will get more than the last 5 entries

your logs will be aded to the 5 log count

sorry if incoherent i got a bug

actually if there is a cache with a note from you or a find you will get more than the last 5 entries

As I recall CacheMate allows up to 10. It's the Geocaching site that limits you to around 5. Since this is a limit of the GPX file, it's likely to affect all off-line programs except for those that harvest the CG web page directly.

Plus there is no way for me to export my CacheMate database back to a GPX file to allow other utilities to work with the data.

Not yet... it's on my list of stuff to do, though :D

Currently working on the navigation plugin. Actually around 1/4 of it done... have an NMEA (cable and bluetooth) backend, and the part of the UI done that displays satellite position and signal strength. Still have the other GPS info to display, the iQue to support, and a "go to" arrow pointer to implement when it's running as a plugin.

Also have the various hi-res displays to do something with on the graphics side... ok, I'm closer to 1/5 done :D

Not yet... it's on my list of stuff to do, though :D

You might want to keep an eye on the GSAK thread. It seems to be an up and coming desktop program. It's already been requested to interface it with PDAs. I think ClydeE was working (if he hasn't completed already) using CMConvert in command line mode to interface with CacheMate.

I haven't fired up the program myself, but the reviews are glowing.

I think ClydeE was working (if he hasn't completed already) using CMConvert in command line mode to interface with CacheMate.

That's cool... GeoToad's been doing that for some time now, actually. One more good reason for my starting to do the Win32 builds of the CMConvert command-line version :D

Clyde has a wonderful program in the process. It uses GPSBabel for conversions, and it has been suggested that he try adding Cachemate as a conversion possibility. I use both GSAK and Cachemate. GSAK is great on the desktop, for sorting, editing, converting, uploading to the GPS, etc, but it has no Palm component and Clyde has no plans for it, since he doesn't even have a PDA, AFAIK. If GSAK could export the pocket queries to Cachemate format, that would get me down to one desktop and one Palm program. 2 actually, since I still use Plucker to view the cache pages, because the sorting and viewing are so much more sophisticated. CMConvert works, but it's an extra step I don't want. If the two of you could cooperate, it would make us cachers happy, and I really see no competition between you, since your apps are for different platforms and do different things.

Edited by NightPilot

Is there a way to be able to find a cache, log it in your PDA under the "found" catagory with an ending time and it be sorted by time found? This would be very beneficial to those of us that like to log our finds in the sequence that they are found. As of now I have to manually look through all the finds for a particular day and view the ending time in order to see which order I need to log them on GC.com.

Maybe this is an option that I am overlooking and is already in place. If so please guide me to the correct direction in which I can make this change. Thanks for your understanding and also a SUPER program!

Happy cachin'! :D

As I recall CacheMate allows up to 10. It's the Geocaching site that limits you to around 5. Since this is a limit of the GPX file, it's likely to affect all off-line programs except for those that harvest the CG web page directly.

GC.com will send MORE than 5 logs for caches you have found in the gpx file.

it sends the 5 most recent logs + your logs from the past. which adds up to more than 5

i think i explained that better

Is there a way to be able to find a cache, log it in your PDA under the "found" catagory with an ending time and it be sorted by time found?

Not directly, but if you export the logs to Memopad, there's an option in the preferences to "Add time to log memo title". I've not used it, but I understand that the purpose is so the Memos will sort themselves into the right order.

An of course the memos will sync back to your desktop with a normal Palm sync.

Edited by GeckoGeek

A beginner's question: I just installed Cachemate 3.3 a week ago, and that was the first time I installed a program on a palm.

How do I upgrade? Do I just install version 3.4 the same way I installed 3.3, and will it overwrite version 3.3 on my computer and on the palm? Or do I need to delete something first?

Also, when synchronizing and loading a pdb file into the Palm, I often get a message saying that installation has failed. What does that mean? I wasn't aware of installing anything...

Thanks!

Daniel

On a Palm, when a file is instaleld that has the same identity as another file, it will overwrite it. So as long as Cachemate is Cacheate then it just overwrites the old version but keeps al lthe data. Most Palm applications work like this, but it is best to tread any readme files or HTML that comes with the application in case there are different instructions.

The second part of your query is off topic soI doubt people wil lgo into much detail on it here, but Hotsync should produce a log file which normaly gives clues as to what has gone wrong.

I sugggest you visit one of the many Palm support forums for advice on your install problem, and let people know what the log says about the install faliure.

CMConvert works, but it's an extra step I don't want.  If the two of you could cooperate, it would make us cachers happy, and I really see no competition between you, since your apps are for different platforms and do different things.

I took a look at the GSAK thread, and it seems he already knows about the command-line version of the file converter. Basically, all I did for that was to take the Unix version of the code, create a couple files to match what the configure script normally creates, and compile it for Windows. In fact, those files are now part of the GPL'ed source for the file converter. Yay for portability :D

Note that the command-line version is not the same as the GUI version. The GUI version is included with CacheMate, but you can download either from the product list page at the Smittyware site. The Windows command-line build was done to make it easier for developers of Windows software and batch file writers to automate doing conversions to CacheMate's import file format, just like unix and OS X users could since the beginning :D

ClydeE could also take the code of the file converter and integrate it into GSAK, probably without much trouble, but that also means he'd have to GPL his own code to comply with the license. I don't know how up he is for that.

ClydeE could also take the code of the file converter and integrate it into GSAK, probably without much trouble, but that also means he'd have to GPL his own code to comply with the license.  I don't know how up he is for that.

It would be way easier to just use the command line utility "Under the Hood" of GSAK. Besides, I would be too embarrassed to GPL any of my dodgy code :D

As CacheMate is so popular I have already decided to do this. Unfortunately it won't make it into version 2.00 (final), but it is high on the priority for the next version.

I guess at least now CacheMate users know that it is coming....

Edited by ClydeE
On a Palm, when a file is instaleld that has the same identity as another file, it will overwrite it. So as long as Cachemate is Cacheate then it just overwrites the old version but keeps al lthe data. Most Palm applications work like this, but it is best to tread any readme files or HTML that comes with the application in case there are different instructions.

Thanks, o Learned one, that was encouraging... I'll give it a go!

Check your file size versus available memory on the PDA.

The problem is the same when I previously delete all the caches from the PDA. And it specifically says that there was a problem with cachemate install, although I'm not installing anything, but just uploading a small PDB.

The problem is the same when I previously delete all the caches from the PDA. And it specifically says that there was a problem with cachemate install, although I'm not installing anything, but just uploading a small PDB.

Yes, you are... you're installing that small PDB. "Install" and "upload" are pretty much synonymous when it comes to Hotsync. It named CacheMate because that was the related application.

First thing to check, as sledgehampster said, is the size of that PDB file vs. available memory on the PDA. You can only cram in so much, and CacheMate needs a little extra room for certain functions (bookmark list and nearest cache search being the first to come to mind)... other applications tend to make temporary use of the storage memory as well, so that's not just CacheMate. If it's not a space issue, then it's a problem either with the PDA or with Hotsync.

Well, if you are uploading a PDB, you are "installing" something. CacheMate requires two files. CacheMate and the MathPack (or something like that). I'm not sure what happens if you fail to upload both.

How important is what you have on the Palm now? As a last resort, you might try completely clearing the unit with a cold reset and reloading. It's rare you have to do it with a Palm, but it does happen.

I'm going to this page and downlading this file.

I end up with a 278 KB zip file named cachemate-3.4.0, but when I try to unzip it, it contains no files.  I've tried 4 times now, and can't get anything.  What am I doing wrong? :blink:

I don't know. I just tried it off your link and Winzip found something like 28 files in there. 278K sounds about right. What unzip program are you using?

Tried it with Winzip and it worked fine. Must have been my old freeware zip program. Thanks.

OK, I'm feeling really dumb, but I'm not sure whats wrong.

I'm going to this page and downlading this file.

I end up with a 278 KB zip file named cachemate-3.4.0, but when I try to unzip it, it contains no files. I've tried 4 times now, and can't get anything. What am I doing wrong? :blink:

Thanks!

Works fine for me. I have had this problem crop up occasionally with IE.

Instead of clicking that link, try right-clicking and selecting Save As...

Sometimes that works.

Is there a way to be able to find a cache, log it in your PDA under the "found" catagory with an ending time and it be sorted by time found?  This would be very beneficial to those of us that like to log our finds in the sequence that they are found.  As of now I have to manually look through all the finds for a particular day and view the ending time in order to see which order I need to log them on GC.com. 

What I have done is make a new "Category" called "need to log in". After I find the cache I change the "Category" on the info page to "Need to log in". When I get back home I can pull up this "Category" and have all the caches I need in one area without having to look through every cache that is in my PDA. After logging, I change the "Category" to "found". Hope this helps.

Is there a way to be able to find a cache, log it in your PDA under the "found" catagory with an ending time and it be sorted by time found?  This would be very beneficial to those of us that like to log our finds in the sequence that they are found.  As of now I have to manually look through all the finds for a particular day and view the ending time in order to see which order I need to log them on GC.com. 

What I have done is make a new "Category" called "need to log in". After I find the cache I change the "Category" on the info page to "Need to log in". When I get back home I can pull up this "Category" and have all the caches I need in one area without having to look through every cache that is in my PDA. After logging, I change the "Category" to "found". Hope this helps.

i used to do that too but now i bookmark and check the found box on new finds then uncheck bookmark aftrer i login. that way i can just look at bookmarked caches and know exactly what i did.

I did something similar, except I kept the found category as is. Since when you check "found" Cachemate automatically puts it in the Found category, I leave it that way.

Then, when I get home and log them over to my new "Found/Logged" category.

Works for me.

Would it be possible to have cachemate available as a desktop application also so that it can be dealt with off the palm?

Also, what is the extention '.prc' as those are the parts of the cachemate program that I can install on my palm.

I note that some of the things in cachemate are only able to be installed on the memory stick. They have other than a '.prc' extension. Up until now I have NOT trid to install those files.

Does that mean anything in a functional sort of way?