Questions From A New Geocacher

steve kc7byp

I have a Garmin GPS 40. This is my first GPS receiver. It works great out in the open but it can't lock up on any satellites infront of of my apt building down town Pasco, also it won't lock up inside of my van unless i face the van ruffly south west and place the receiver up on the dash, also it won't lock up inside my apt and I tryed putting a wire in the center conductor of the external antenna jack on the back of the receiver and connected the other end to my hf ham antenna on the roof and the receiver still did not acquire any satellites.

Is there a sensitivity problem with this old unit, as far as not working inside my van. And does it need a special external antenna?

Oh my ! Someone from my old stomping grounds !

I went to Pasco High School !

I used to live two blocks away from PHS.

How cool to make your aquaintance.

My advice to you is don't run out and get a new one just because you have trouble getting lock inside or in your van.

I have a $159 Etrex legend that doesn't get lock inside and it does in the car window, but probably wouldn't inside a van.

If it can get you within 50 feet, then you can find it, and your skills will be better

for it !

I noticed you found Old Cross cache already, and you should keep on keeping on.

I read your profile, and sorry to hear about your divorce brother.

I went through that several years ago. It's no fun.

But you know, everything turns out okay after time and healing.

Great sport pick if you want to meet people.

Try looking for local geo-caching events, and get involved.

I have met so many interesting and fun folks and it really is a wonderful

community to be a part of.

It was definitely a turning point in my life.

Who would have thought.

Take care !

Keep on caching !

I believe that the GPS40 is a serial processor and only tracks 8 sats at a time. I have an old GPS38 which was this way. You can attach an external ant. to your unit which will help a lot.

I upgrade to a GPS V and the difference is out of this world. It works in the car in the house and in the RV. It's faster and more accurate. :mad:

I did a quick read of the user manual for the GPS 40. It is capable of tracking and using up to 8 satellites at a time. You didn't mention what amateur band antenna you connected to your GPS, but my guess is that the wavelength wasn't even close. If you connect an antenna designed for your GPS (probably any Garmin compatible antenna) it would solve the problem of using your GPS in your vehicle. I can use my Garmin GPS in my vehicle as long as it can "see out" of a nearby window.