Finding set waypoints

Guest BradC

I am new to this and would like to know how to locate waypoints for specific locations where caches might not be. Let's say I want to program the coordinates of rainbow bridge (lake powell) into my GPS. Where do I find those waypoints? My e-mail is bcrump@infowest.com. Thanks

The best sign I have found is the USGS Geoname Server. This is the official source for named things everywhere in the US. For your specific example, enter "rainbow bridge" in the feature name field and "arch" in the feature type field. Gives the coordinates along with elevation, 7.5' map name, etc.

Hope this works for you.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by rdwatson78:

The best sign I have found is the http://geonames.usgs.gov/. This is the official source for named things everywhere in the US. For your specific example, enter "rainbow bridge" in the feature name field and "arch" in the feature type field. Gives the coordinates along with elevation, 7.5' map name, etc.

One thing to be careful about when using the Geoname Server is that all of the coordinates are given in NAD27 datum, while most GPSRs are by default set to WGS84 (not to mention that geocache coordinates listed on Geocaching.com use WGS84 datum). You'll want to be sure to switch your datum over in your GPSR before entering the Geoname coordinates (and then remember to switch back to WGS84 when done).

24_700.gif