Calling All Tall Cachers

I love geocaching. It has become my passion. As such, I need everything I own geocache ready :rolleyes:

But here's the problem: I'm 6'9" tall! Every backpack I try on, every pair of bad weather ready pants, every jacket, even cache ready vehicles... they are all just too small!

So:

What do you drive?

I'm in a 2002 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab. Not exactly cache ready, as I'm positive the big dog would just sink into anything slightly softer than pavement. dadgum those 5'2" tall Jeep owners!

What pack do you use?

I'm using a military issue MULE. Way too small for me, but so is everything else.

What rain/foul weather gear to do wear?

I have various Columbia jackets, as the XXL size is just small, not too small. As for pants, still looking for something other than jeans...

Boots?

Actually I've found a winner here. Magnum makes up to size 16 military all black, fully waterproof fully insulated calf high boots for less than $100. These have been a godsend for me, and they have earned a customer for life.

Anything else tall cacher related, post/vent here!

Can I get an Amen brother?

While not as tall as you, I'm pretty sure I'm at least as freakish :rolleyes: .

I'm 6'5" and 240 lb's without winter clothes, boots, or a pack.

I have been wearing Rocky Boots and also a pair of North Face hikers (13's) (not at the same time for you jokers out there) and like them both. I too have the Columbia stuff and also Carhartt's bibs and artic coat (I believe the Carhartt's can be had out to truly gigantic sizes (I mean I've seen guys your height and 500 lb's in them...fer real <_< . )

I use a Camelback pack for caching, but the only real pack I've seen that fits well is a really expensive, custom made pack from a small company out west....Kifaru I believe.

I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it's ok for legroom...my work truck is a F250 Ford which suprisingly isn't that big inside.

The only real complaint I have about being tall is I would love to smack whoever determined to place doorknobs at that exact height!! <_< Oh, and low door jambs, and tiny sportscar, and ......

My son is 6'7" and is in the Navy on a submarine..........bad combination!

Wasn't David Robinson in the sub service?

For equipment and clothing, check LL Bean. They have a lot of stuff in tall sizes. Also, try www.sierratradingpost.com. They deal in overstocks and closeouts, so you'll often find odd sizes.

Edited by briansnat

I doubt you will ever find an affordable day pack. You might want to consider getting an internal frame expedition pack. What works for a "normal" sized person on a three day hike might be the thing for your needs.

My '93 2500 Sierra long bed extended cab is about the worst offroad vechile ever, I scar'd the heck out of a cross member on the way to Dead Mans Curve cache a couple of weeks ago.

But I've never been stuck, drop that bad boy into 4 low, go easy on the gas, let the 454 do it's magic! Just watch out for those gullies and humps. Moby Truck is about 2' longer than a Suburban so it fits this topic. Get your big dog out in the dirt, you might be suprised. I don't know what kind shoes you have on it but you might want to look at some BF Goodrich all terrian radials (ATR's), they wear like iron and girp like glue.

91132_1500.jpg

I'm 6'5" 225lbs. Columbia makes some very nice outdoor gear in tall sizes. Most of my snowboarding/winter gear is Columbia. As for boots I fall in the almost normal size 13. I have been sticking with Carolina boots for a while now. As for daypacks, lose the waist strap and you'll be fine. Its not needed for a daypack anyway. Or go with a good lumbar pack if you need something hugging your waist. I drive a Ford Ranger extended cab with no problems, just lean the seat back a little so my head fits but thats the way I drive anyways. As for rain gear go for a poncho style piece of gear.

Whoa, you are tall! Sorry, but I can't help you. I have the opposite problem. I'm 5'2" and have tiny feet that just happen to be between where kid's size end and adult size begins! Still, I sympathize. I can find packs and such, but shoes are difficult.

gee! carleen. i'm only 4' 12". you're tall compared to me. :rolleyes:

You think that finding clothes is bad... just try being 5'10, 350 lbs, and FEMALE!

Finding clothes for tall girls is easy... as is finding clothes for heavy girls... but clothing for tall, heavy girls is nonexistent!

MsJamie

not any better for short heavy women. everything is made for tall women. if only floor length dresses and skirts would come back in. i wouldn't have to shorten everything, even pants. :rolleyes:

OK, upperdooper and Ms Jamie, I am feeling much less alone now with my unaverage nature (freakishly small feet). You know, things tend to be designed for the "average" person, which makes sense from a capitalist marketing angle, but dang it is annoying! On the good side, I know for me that when I find those small shoes (few and far between), they are always on sale for real cheap. Is it the same for the rest of you in your unaverage sizes? I was thinking that it takes more work to find things, but when we do we likely save $$.

OK, upperdooper and Ms Jamie, I am feeling much less alone now with my unaverage nature (freakishly small feet). You know, things tend to be designed for the "average" person, which makes sense from a capitalist marketing angle, but dang it is annoying! On the good side, I know for me that when I find those small shoes (few and far between), they are always on sale for real cheap. Is it the same for the rest of you in your unaverage sizes? I was thinking that it takes more work to find things, but when we do we likely save $$.

not only am i short, but i wear size 9 shoes. i look like Krusty the clown in some of my pants. :rolleyes:

not only am i short, but i wear size 9 shoes. i look like Krusty the clown in some of my pants. 

<_< You know, I am off-topic here, but I have had fun reading your posts lately. Hopefully I'll meet up with you at a cache event someday and we can drive everyone nuts comparing how our feet don't match our bodies! The insanity of it would be fun! :rolleyes:

not only am i short, but i wear size 9 shoes. i look like Krusty the clown in some of my pants. 

<_< You know, I am off-topic here, but I have had fun reading your posts lately. Hopefully I'll meet up with you at a cache event someday and we can drive everyone nuts comparing how our feet don't match our bodies! The insanity of it would be fun! :rolleyes:

"fun insanity" is my middle name. well, that and "ann". i would love it. <_<

Edited by uperdooper

just to keep this somewhat on topic. <_< i used to date a guy who was 6'7" tall. it was like dating a belt buckle, and don't even get me started on slow dancing. <_< how tall people don't walk around looking like "urkle" is beyound me. sometimes i stand on a milk crate at work just to see what the other half sees. :rolleyes:

Try a Montainsmith Day Pack. It is a lumbar pack, so NO shoulder straps. I like it better than a regular pack, because it takes the wieght of the shoulders, and puts it on your hips. It also adds a lot to your mobility. its only 2000 cc's, but you'd be suprised at what you can cram into it or tie onto it.

Mountainsmith is an excellent brand. I've owned a technical day pack of theirs for over ten years. Bugaboo or something like that. 2800 CCs Almost could be an overnighter, but I like my packs to be at least 4600 ccs for backpacking.

Try a Montainsmith Day Pack.  It is a lumbar pack ... its only 2000 cc's, but you'd be suprised at what you can cram into it or tie onto it.

I've toted my Mountainsmith lumbar pack all over the place. Before we had children the thing was a champ of a day-pack for my wife and myself. It really *is* amazing how much stuff you can cram into it.

I've since added a small messenger-style sling pack to my regular use, and we're thinking of picking up a second lumbar pack for my wife so we can have twice the carrying capacity since we now have the kids in tow, and thus require more lugging capacity.

The key I've found with lumbar packs is to get one that you can snug down tightly to your body. You definitely don't want it jouncing around.

To be honest, I think packs are tough to mail-order or order on-line because of the need to check out the fit, especially when loaded. When trying out pack at a store grab a bunch of stuff off the shelves (including a few heavy items) and fill up the pack, *then* try it on to see how it feels.

The super-size lumbar packs in the store might be enticing because of their capacity, but some of them are so big that they don't effectively snug the oversize close enough to your body to ride right. Definitely try them out. You might be surprised that you don't need (or want) the largest lumbar pack out there.

Thought I'd jump in on this.

I'm 6'7", 210 lbs. I use a Mountainsmith Tour Waist Pack for my geocaching. Just enough room for GPS, camera, cache printouts, lunch and trade items. Nice pack.

My car is a Subaru Forester. I fit just fine in it (took some looking to find a car with enough room) The AWD comes in handy while caching up here (I live in the CA Gold Country)

For shoes, I've got a very worn in pair of Doc Marten boots, and a nice pair of Teva XPD shoes. I'm a size 12, so finding shoes isn't too hard.

Pants are another story. I wear Gap jeans, because I can get them online. My work khakis are all a bit too short.

Anyways, great topic! Glad I'm not the only one!

giant.jpg

Cache Creatures and all you other tall geocachers, be considerate of us short (I'm 5'4") geocachers when placing caches. I live in the same area as you. I've had to skip some caches because I could not reach them. I found one step of a multi today that was JUST out of my reach.

I'm short enough that I have to shorten every pair of pants I buy, even the 30" inseams.

Years ago I made molds for a company that specialized in shoe insoles. The prototypes were always size 10. at the time the "average American male" was 5'10", 165 lbs., and wore a size 10c. I'm 6'4" @ 180, size 12 so I had a problem seeing if what I made was a good fit. Trying to get a size 12 so I could start from there and work down was always a pain, except for Nike, I asked for a couple pair to use as my prototype. They sent me 24 pair :mad: .

As for buying clothing and the like on-line or mail order, I bought a t-shirt (go Pats) and thats it. I rather trying things on for size, fit and feel. When I get clothing cattle-ogs in the mail, they find the trash real fast.

For caching pants, I use Battle Dress Uniform ( real or knock-off ) they're made for tromping about in the woods, but jeans are pretty much standard issue uniform for hitting most places, plus you don't look like a suburban warrior.

I had a high school buddy whose brother did the 6'7" submarine bit too. Can you say miliyary intelligence? :mad:

Wow great feedback! Thanks for all the online retailer recommendations.

I love the concept of hip or lumbar packs. My back doc says they are far and away the best way to carry your gear. The problem I've found though is that I've got no hips or rear end... basically, the thing just slides right down to my legs. Anyone else have a similar problem and if so, how do you overcome it?

And I love the Wrangler idea, but it’s not head room... it’s the steering wheel placement. My knees come up to the wheel and flank either side. There is no room for my hands!

By the way, for the record, how many of you are sick to death of the "basketball" question? My standard answer has become... "Nope, I was a jockey". Most people just blankly stare, but a few just crack up laughing.

As for cache placement, good point! While I hate bending over, I also realize others are not as vertically blessed as I am :mad: . Therefore, Mrs. CC and I have tried to place every cache within reach of everyone.

Edited by CacheCreatures

By the way, for the record, how many of you are sick to death of the "basketball" question? My standard answer has become... "Nope, I was a jockey".

Aye, I am tired of the question especially since I did not get my height (6' 5") until I was 20. Uncoordinated, short and blind as a bat does not make for a good high school basketball upbringing. Good come-back!

I am 6-6 and weigh about 260, so I thought I would jump in. For my vehicle I have found that Ford F-150's have the best headroom, legroom, shoulder room of any 1/2 Ton pickup. With the 4WD "off-road" package they should be sufficient to get you to a good spot to start your hike.

For my foul weather Parka, I found a North Face Expedition parka a few years ago at a North Face store that is perfect. It is designed to be long on the average person, and it is perfect for me.

For my pack, I also found a lightweight North Face Tall Daypack that works well for me.

Boots are hard for me, Not only am I a size 15, but I am a size 15B. My feet just swim in regular size boots (width wise). I have found that sometimes some really good orthotic type inserts can make the wider boots fit okay.

I have yet to find any good Gore Tex storm pants that fit correctly. Maybe I will try some of the retailers mentioned in other posts.

If you find some good products that fit you well, I would like to know.

I'm 6'5"

I know what your saying about clothes. I have normal legs but a log torso so I need tall shirts and jackets.

Try Carhartt for jackets and even pants. The "work" cut on their jackets is awesome. The make a full line of tall clothes.

My Dodge Durango has plenty of head and leg room I too have to stick with SUV's and Trucks. I wouldnt drive anything else anyway.

I'm 73 vertical inches of geobabe, and while I don't have a problem finding gear or clothes (well, not much of one anyway), I have a terrible time crawling in and out of some cache spaces, especially with my backpack on. I'm constantly getting whacked in the face by surly vines and tree limbs as I walk bent over.

With all due respect to the vertically challenged poster earlier, I LOVE it when I have to reach up for a cache instead of hunkering down. It's such a nice change (and adds to the difficulty, since it's much rarer, at least down here).

Also, where were all you tall men when I was single? HMM?

My car is a Subaru Forester. I fit just fine in it (took some looking to find a car with enough room)

Hmmm, Subarus must be well designed because I am the opposite (short). I can't see out of a lot of cars and am uncomfortable in others, particularly SUVs. The Outback fit me perfectly and fit my needs for cargo space to haul the dog and camping gear.

Cache Creatures and all you other tall geocachers, be considerate of us short (I'm 5'4") geocachers when placing caches. I live in the same area as you. I've had to skip some caches because I could not reach them. I found one step of a multi today that was JUST out of my reach.

I hid one of those super easy caches attached to lightpole with magnets since there wasn't one of those in my area. Well guess what, people keep placing it really high on the pole. I then have to go out there with a yard stick, jump and knock it down so that I can place it where people can reach it. Once it was about 12 feet up the pole. Not sure how the person got it up that high! A request for an easy placement is listed in the cache page, but I guess most cachers around here are tall or something! I have to admit that maintenance on that cache is starting to get annoying! I have been there to fix it several more times than are noted in the cache logs too because some people just sent me emails saying that they saw it and could not reach it! I think 6 times total.

I am only 6'1". But I have always heard that women prefer really tall guys (for obvious reasons). So tall guys, is it true????

Maybe you should ask the women this question instead!?!? :mad: My answer: It doesn't matter. :mad:

Edited by carleenp

MRS. CC:

Alright...This is the tall guy's better half. :mad: I thought I'd chime in on this topic. Being 5'9", I am not short, but it is a whole other world living with someone 6'9". As you can tell by his opening topic there are things that you can take for granted being "average" in size that for him are a pain in the booty.

While caching it is amusing. There are times where the info says something about being eye level.....he just laughs.

Shopping is well....interesting and expensive.

And as for prefering tall men, I (of course) am guilty of this accusation. He also has a huge........PENchant for Geocaching so even if he were short I'd have fallen for him. :mad:

:mad: 5'2" Jeep Drivers !!!!!!!!!!! I am 6'2" and drive a Jeep Wrangler. I sit a little tall in the saddle and there must still be 6-8 inches above my head.

But seriously.....try you local Army-Navy store for hiking gear in Large and Tall men styles. I find most of these places to be readily equipped since the average man is 5'10" and has size 10 feet. Everything left behind fits us big guys !!!!

Spoo

Ok I am 6'5" ft tall and am 255 lbs size 12 foot.

As far as clothing, My winter where is anything I have laying around the house. Then Over that I put on a size XXL Industrial overalls and jacket to match. It looks a bit dorky some times but It keeps me warm and dry no matter what, it also helps to make me look official when I want to be some place and not get bothered.

Still working on the shoes.

Luckily I don't have the problem your having with the waist, I think I was born to perfect or something ;)

But seriously try a back brace, You said you had a bad back. this will help with that and you can clip your other stuff to it for more support.

My vehicle 12 a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited fully loaded. the head room is a bit of a problem with the power seats, but one of our hight could easily place bucket seats in giving you the room you wanted. as for the steering room that is the problem we all face. Off road vehicles where not designed for this, well not if you want someone to sit behind you that is.

I work with cars (among other things I do) And I Chevy makes a 1 ton truck with 4 wheel drive that has head room and leg room but no back seat. so Iv it's just your romping stomping toy, than that is the beast for you. I would also invest in a good 1 ton winch, never know when that will come in handy.

I am only 6'1". But I have always heard that women prefer really tall guys (for obvious reasons). So tall guys, is it true???? 

Maybe you should ask the women this question instead!?!?  My answer: It doesn't matter. 

Size matters, My friend is always complaining about his 3 inch problem.

I am way more confident than that.

By the way don't know how you other tall guy's feel, but me personally, I just don't like people taller than me :D Probably a father son complex, my dad looks like lerch from the Adams family, compared to him I am just his shadow.

Edited by Megamog

6'7" and thin with it. my problem is that i live in england and we don't have anywhere near as many retailers for clothing etc. good boots from german company mendl. size 14 goretex lined.

have to drive regular car and just fold into it! being tall is still great though i just wish they didn't make door frames at 6'5"!! or the local old style pub with low beams so you finish your drink stand up and go through the roof.

I went to England when I was 18 (and only 6'3"), and I recall hitting my head on many pub beams.

By the way don't know how you other tall guy's feel, but me personally, I just don't like people taller than me

I know what you mean. I stood next to Kareem Abdul Jabbar once. He's 7'2". It was just freaky! ;)