Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ColdMachine

Ham Tests In Central Ma?

ColdMachine sez: "I'm ready to take my Technician exam. "

Awesome! Remember it doesn't cost extra to try for the Morse Code (Element 1) or General (Element 3) exams either. Try them to see what you're getting yourself into. If you don't pass them, oh well, at least you had fun trying!

Good Luck and let us know how it went!

Todd - K7PKT

Check here for W5YI testers. Between W5YI and ARRL, that's probably 95% of all tests given although I'm not sure that all of the sub groups always advertise their testing times and locations well.

There will be testing available at the Horseheads (there really is such a place) Hamfest (near Elmira, NY); check the ARAST web site for details. It is on the last Saturday of February. It is not a huge hamfest, but it is fun just the same. If you have a spouse who is not into hamming, there is the Arnot Mall just around the corner from the hamfest site; lots of great places to eat are also nearby.

This is a bit of a drive for you, but I already know of at least one ham from the Albany, NY area who is going to come out for that one.

Thanks for the info! NY is kind of a drive for me. I found a few tests coming up soon in my area. I'll use the time to practice Morse code. Might as well try for it if it doesn't cost extra!

Speaking of Morse code, can anyone recommend a good software practice tool?

-Ethan

I can recommend one, and I'll probably be shot down... remember that YMMV. I bought CodeQuick, which helped me get through the exam. There's also Ham University, and I'm sure there are others.

I downloaded Code University, but it didn't install correctly on my XP machine.

I got NuMorse Pro, which seems to be pretty good. I haven't checked it out thoroughly enough to determine whether or not I like it yet. It has some interesting mnemonic features that are designed to help you associate the sound of the character with a word or phrase. It's kind of silly, but seems like it actually might work!

Regards,

Ethan

I need to get back to it in order to build up my speed. I passed 5 WPM fairly easily (by getting 25 characters, not by answering the questions). I messed up on the callsigns (they put one of those slashy things in there)