Solving Triangular Mystery/puzzle Caches

Hi!

At least here in Finland mystery caches based on triangular mathematic problems are quite common. Here's two examples:

Riihimäki Geochallenge

and

Jaarikanmaa

These can be solved mathematically (like in this thread: Triangulation experiment) , or by some CAD program etc.

What I'm looking for is an EASY way to solve this kind of problems. I don't like maths too much, nor I don't have any CAD-programmes. I guess the situation is the same with many geocachers.

Is there any free (or cheap commercial) on-line calculators or dowloadable programmes where you could just enter coordinates, distances, angles etc. and then get the final coordinates as a result? Please feel free to Markwell me, I tried to search from these forums, but could not find anything useful.

The math is out there... Google is your friend!

Yee yee, I know, Google is my old friend but the amount of links it gives with keywords like "online calculator triangular coordinates" or something similar, is huge.

Ok, here's one good link, it has helped me with some caches but only with easy ones: Great Circle Calculator by Ed Williams

Something like that would be cool to find when Ed does not help...

What's the Excel sheet you mentioned? I have one by Jeff Laake, but when we tested it here in Finland it gave always false final coordinates. ;)

Cheers, Olli

Captain,

The easiest way is to find one of your local and esteemed cachers who does like these kind of caches. Then offer up some fine spiced rum as your part of the bargain. Then let them get to work, you quench their thirst and together go find it.

While it’s as much work as actually solving the puzzle it’s a kind of work that some people are better suited for.

;) Sometimes a picture is worth a 1000K words. This website gives you a good visual representation what you need to do. Centoid of a Triangle

:blink: Personally, I would let my GPS do the work for me. Just find all 3 waypoints and set them in the gps, i.e. A, B, and C. Then find the mid point of A to B, B to C and C To A and create 3 more wpts E,F & G.

(E) 1/2 way between A & B

(F) 1/2 way between B & C

(G) 1/2 way between C & A

You now have 6 waypoints.

Set a new waypoint

* (H) 1/2 way between C & E.

* (I) 1/2 way between A & F

* (J) 1/2 way between B & G

If you do everthing correctly, the treasure should be in the place that H, I and J are plotted in the GPS. This may look like a bit of work, but you do not have to do any formulas, or convert meters to centimeters, etc.

You could also do it with two friends; go to the vicinty of where you think the cache may be and each of the three people check the distance to one of the three points. Keep moving together as a group until all three have the correct distance to each point. You should now be on top of the cache!

Or you could just form the aformetioned groups of friends and start a grid search of about a 5 mile radius of the points. Chances are after a few weeks of carful grid searching with about 20 friends you might get lucky and find the cache (and maybe a few others)

You could also do it with two friends; go to the vicinty of where you think the cache may be and each of the three people check the distance to one of the three points. Keep moving together as a group until all three have the correct distance to each point. You should now be on top of the cache!

Or you could just form the aformetioned groups of friends and start a grid search of about a 5 mile radius of the points. Chances are after a few weeks of carful grid searching with about 20 friends you might get lucky and find the cache (and maybe a few others)

I really wasn't joking. Read some of the logs for my cache and see some of the ways people were finding it.

Visual representations are easiest. A program like Topo USA 4.0 is excellent for this stuff. Mapsource is good too. If you want to go a mathmatical route first you might try here. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PerpendicularBisector.html

An easier formula since it has less steps.

But that would be entirely too easy.

I just looked a little deeper at your example pages and where you are,..Topo USA wouldnt work for you. Duh! The correct mapsource might if they have one for there. Anyway the idea being to use a mapping program for your area.

Another site with some applets is here http://www.saltire.com/gallery.html

You can input values and have the applet compute the answers.

Edited by Ish-n-Isha

I'm pretty sure OziExplorer lets you project a circle from any given coordinate. So theoretically you could project the three circles and get the coordinates of where the three circles intersect. I don't know if that feature is in the trial version or not, but it may be worth downloading. I don't use this program, but have been told it can do this.

Edit:typo

Edited by cachew nut
I'm pretty sure OziExplorer lets you project a circle from any given coordinate. So theoretically you could project the three circles and get the coordinates of where the three circles intersect. I don't know if that feature is in the trial version or not, but it may be worth downloading. I don't use this program, but have been told it can do this.

I could not find that feature from OziExplorer (ver. 3.95.2). If any of you also use this programme, could you please check if you can find it.

I own one of these, Gee, I'm a Tree!

Most people have been able to figure it out on their own, but if they can't I have two things to offer for help: a web page showing how to do the math, and an Excel spreadsheet where you can plug in the numbers as you need them.

The math is out there... Google is your friend!

And located in a very appropriately named facility too: Bong State :blink::):)

Mapsource (software than came with my Garmin GPSr) will allow you to do this also. You just add a waypoint and edit it such that it draws a circle around it. Unfortunately it's only in miles so some conversion may be in order.

The other way I've done these before is to use the math to arrive at the intersection of two circles using UTM coordinates, see: This math link. This will give you (hopefully) two points. From here you can either go to both (not recommended) or just eliminate one based on the third point, or just do another set of math.

My alternate route is to create an optimization program that solves a simultaneous equation to a least squares distance. This is truly the geek approach, but it works.

:blink: