Extreme Geocaching

Last time I went out to search the elusive cache, the temps were in the teens, with a brisk wind blowing. It was chilly, but tolerable. Now that, up here in the Midwest, the temps are in the "Holy buckets" below Zero, and wind chills in the "Oh, my God" below Zero, I thought "Wouldn't it be cool (no pun intended) to bundle up, blast off and seach for a cache that's under a foot of snow!" Maybe at night, too.

Let's hear your "extreem geocaching" stories.

(There I was, on top of Mt. Everest, a full load of satellite signals, hanging on with my bare toes to reach a cache under a ledge... Well, OK fiction is fun, but...)

It depends on your definition of extreme. A cache that does not require climbing/safety gear, a multi day hike, mountain climbing etc.. does not qualify as extreme in my book. As such I have yet to go extreme geocaching. I hope to approach that this weekend on this cache to mark my 300th find. Everyone is different. Simply geocaching for some people is extreme.

Edited by JMBella

I have a few extreme cache stories. My favorite one is when I was a beginner with my friend Zach. As a beginner - Zach and I would never stay on the paths and would always chose the most direct route. Later I would learn that this was a stupid idea. Anyway, Zach and I were going to go find Richard's Park Cache in Syracuse New York. And.....we took the most direct route from 481 [road.] SOO, firstly, Zach and I had to trudge through literally a swamp of mud and other yucky stuff. Luckily for me, only my shoes got encased in green, icky mud. But Zach's slip on shoe got stuck in the mud and he got his whole foot and sock encased in the grotesque substance. Anyway..we kept on going. AND what do you know we ran into stream [and through all this, Zach has no shoes on, and we are bushwaking through thorns, poison ivy, etc.] So, we have to pull up are pants, and wade through the murky water!!!! Then after this we came to ANOTEHR STEAM. This time the stream was to deep to wade across. Flustered and angry, Zach and I are screaming at each other and insulting each other for what the other should have done. Walking downstream a little, we found a skinny, slippery wooden log. Not knowing anything else to do - Zach and I lightly and slowly went across it. As Zach said, it was like the movies. After this we bushwaked for about 20 more minutes and finally came to the cache. HORRAY!!! :blink: I had y cuts all over my legs!! Yeah!! Wait a second....now we gotta go back. To make a long story short, Zach and I went back - and ended up making my mom REALLY REALLY MAD for making her wait so long for us to do this "geo thingy" as she called it.

Moral of the story - if you want an extreme adventure - go off the path - and take the direct root to the cache - It's fun ;)

Environmental Explorer

Make a difference - save the environment ;)

Duuuuuude.

Where are you from ?

Mosquitoes, chicks and tiggers oh my !

(Or was that ticks and chiggers ?)

I am fo consused !

One wonderful thing about So.Cal

Not too many bugs.

Lotsa these though...

rs1.jpg

;)

(But I have yet to run into one while geo-caching...)

Edited by crzycrzy

Okeydokey. I will add my story. Actually, I've done quite a few extreme caches, and still have the scars to prove it! But this one's the best.

The cache was actually called Extremophile, so it can't get any better than that! ;) Unfortunately, it's gone now. Anyways, it was up in the mountains, so the snow lasts into the summer. My husband and I waited until we could hike to it. The cache was on an island in the middle of a lake. So we hiked about 1.82 miles with 900' elevation gain to get to it. We had a wet suit and a dry suit, but thought, that's not extreme enough! So we thought we'd swim it without. But then I realized that I had forgotten my swimsuit. So we thought, what the heck! ;) So we went for it in the nude. What a bonding experience. :blink: We new that there were other hikers about, we had already met a couple. I'm pretty sure the water was in the low 50's, and it was about 100' to the island. Part way across I started to lose the ability to breathe or move. But I made it. B) On the way down, we met a couple other groups on the way up. To this day, I don't really know if anyone saw us or not.

That will definiately go down as my favorite cache. Wish there were more of 'em.

Duuuuuude.

Where are you from ?

Mosquitoes, chicks and tiggers oh my !

(Or was that ticks and chiggers ?)

I am fo consused !

One wonderful thing about So.Cal

Not too many bugs.

Lotsa these though...

rs1.jpg

;)

(But I have yet to run into one while geo-caching...)

West Central Wisconsin. We have a few of those critters that "rattle your nerves", too in the bluff area near the Mississippi River. Haven't seen one, yet, though.

Great stories. This is so much fun! :blink:

I agree that extreme can be in the eye of the beholder.....but, there is a cacher here in michigan (gunner226) that now has a cache named after him (are you gunner enough) because this guy stripped, and swam a river in november (in Michigan) just to be the first finder at a new cache!

Now, I ask ya.....are YOU gunner enough!!?

ahh brrr

Can you say shrinkage?

;)

I thought "Wouldn't it be cool (no pun intended) to bundle up, blast off and seach for a cache that's under a foot of snow!"

I am planning to do just that tomorrow. I thought I should get in at least one good snow caching experience after the 15 inches of snow we got earlier in the week.

Now that, up here in the Midwest, the temps are in the "Holy buckets" below Zero, and wind chills in the "Oh, my God" below Zero, I thought "Wouldn't it be cool (no pun intended) to bundle up, blast off and seach for a cache that's under a foot of snow!"  Maybe at night, too.

Not an extreme caching story but I was thinking the same thing as I was coming into the house last night. The sky was clear and with the half moon bright and high I could see everything within a 100 meters or so quite easily, other than the color shift. The wind wasn't that bad either. It actually was very nice out.

If we get a night like that this weekend, I'm gone. I miss being out when its so cold my beard gets ice encrusted and my eyelashes frost up.

G.

I thought "Wouldn't it be cool (no pun intended) to bundle up, blast off and seach for a cache that's under a foot of snow!"

I am planning to do just that tomorrow. I thought I should get in at least one good snow caching experience after the 15 inches of snow we got earlier in the week.

Well, I wouldn't call it extreme by any means, but I did get out in the snow today and found this cache.

What I liked about it was that it was on a golf course and someone had obviously been cross country skiing there. I had been wondering where I could recreationally snow shoe if I bought some and outside of a few rural bike trails or a drive to local rural parks, was coming up blank. Now I realize that golf courses could work!

Unfortunately I can't find the larger version of this image:

EvilCache_sm.jpg

The blackness is water, not outer space. :mad: The cache is stuck in the wall of an old limestone quarry that is now full of cold spring water.

The worst that could happen is falling in the water. Still challenging in its own right though.

Unfortunately I can't find the larger version of this image:

EvilCache_sm.jpg

The blackness is water, not outer space. :mad: The cache is stuck in the wall of an old limestone quarry that is now full of cold spring water.

The worst that could happen is falling in the water. Still challenging in its own right though.

Cool pic! I thought it was one of those Mars pics at first!! :mad: