Some Days You Just Get Lucky!

The need to crow a little has come over us. :o Some days when you least expect it Lady Luck smiles on you!

We were near Moapa, Nv. looking for a particular benchmark (J 1) that was supposed to be set vertically in a wall at an old train depot. There isn't much left of the depot, but we did spot a witness post just a couple of hundred feet away.

Upon investigation it turned out to be a triangulation disk MOAPA set in 1925. We started looking for the reference marks right away. We found RM 2 near by. We widened our search and spotted another witness post just a little over 100 feet away. It turned out to be a different benchmark (I 1) that was also set in 1925. This mark was logged as "not found" in 1982 by the NGS. The last official recovery was in 1941.

After getting a reading on the GPSr and taking a picture we tried to find RM1 again. Alas we had no luck. There was too much trash and scrap metal to use the metal detector we had with us so we finally gave up on RM1.

When we got home and started to log our find of Moapa we found out that only ONE reference mark was set and that was RM 2. ;) No wonder we couldn't find RM 1.

But it was great finding 2 benchmarks from 1925!! I don't think you could have gotten the smiles off our faces that day! :):)

We just had to crow to someone who would appreciate what we found.

John & Shirley

Lucky, ;) Lucky ;) .......... :blink: Great finds and keep up the Lurkin you never know.

I really have fun when I find one that old myself.

I had a few here a while back along the Rail Road that were way back in there and it was great to finally find them and that old Rivet as well.

Many more

Happy................................................................Geotrails