Snow Caching

DrWongAndTheMoppets

I have am feeling an incredible itch to go out and find some caches. However, mother nature has seen fit to drop 1.5 ft of fresh powder snow on the entire area. I am not afraid of the cold or snow, but I still wonder if it is a good idea to go out in these types of conditions Two things that worry me are:

Not being able to find the cache because it is litteraly burried, and can't be found even after a prolonged serch. Also I am concerned that leaving tracks will make it to easy for the next cacher to find, or lead a non-cacher directly to the site.

Any thoughts, or tips for finding snowed in caches would be appreciated.

;):o:):)

Any time is a good time for geocaching. If you're not bothered by the adverse weather than go for it. If you can't find it at least you got out of the house. As far as leaving footprints. I wouldn't worry. The chances of you making one direct route to the cache is highly unlikely. If you do than just walk in a bunch of different directions to through people off. I love doing that.

As far as tips. Take a stick or your hiking staff if you have one and poke around. If you're right on top of the coords then dig through the snow. Also go ahead and read the hint earlier than you normally would. It's hard enough with the snow, might as well make it a little easier for yourself.

Edited by JMBella

I went out the other day and it was about 8 or 10 degrees. We snowshoed about .75 miles round trip to the cache. There was about 18-20 inches of snow. This was our first time snowshoe-ing. ;)

I think most people who are going to be "out and about" in that type of weather are going ot be cachers, cross country skiiers, or snowshoers. Maybe the occasional snowmobiler (where allowed.) I think the majority of those would not steal the cache even if they did find it. You can search for other threads on snow caching, but the basic tips are the same. Once you find the cache walk all around the area or walk out a different way. If you have to dig to find the cache make sure to create 1-2 decoy digs in other areas so as not to bring undue attention to the actual cache. For the most part though I wouldn't worry about prints. If someone knows there is 1-2 feet of snow on the ground and they saw that someone found the cache "yesterday" and they go out to look for it, they should realize they are going to be led right to it. Also the wind and more snow, or warmer temps will take care of your tracks in no time.

Picking caches can be tricky. Read some of the logs or read the clues. If the cache is under logs or something its going to be alot harder then a cache in a tree. Or take a metal detector, they are surprisingly light weight (least mine is :blink: and the carrying case it came with can double as a bag to carry your other cache gear in. Also, I have found carrying a light weight snow shovel can make things quicker for when you have to dig out a cache, and creating those "decoys" is alot faster too.

Just make sure you bring extra batteries if you are going more then .2 from the car, if you are holding your GPS out in front of you the batteries wont last long. So keep your spare batteries some place warm. And keep your GPS in your coat pocket as much time as you can. Bring an extra pair of gloves and extra pair of socks. If you get too wet change (in the car if you can wait.)

I started caching last Feburary, when there was about a foot of snow on the ground. I had to dig out my first cache. The second one I found was in a tree (much easier for winter.)

Good luck.

It's actually a blast being in the outdoors during the snowy months of winter. Check out a recent geocaching event we had in Utah that involved snow shoeing and X-Country Skiing. We had a a couple of metal detectors with us also. We had 21 geocachers participate in this event that lasted all day--incredible time.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7-C7744CBFDD36}

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f2-a31abd316f63

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1d-993398c66c82

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c4-c978e70f497d

Besides the event cache, we only found one of the three caches that were attempted. Even with the metal detectors, was difficult to locate the ammo boxes below 6-8 ft of snow!

Cache on!

Just make sure you are prepared, I almost froze to death on a cache because in lower elevations the weather was tolorable. But on top of east river mountian in WV. it was a diffrent story, but I will not give up unless its gets dark, or my daughter is getting off of the bus in less than an hour. lol

I've found quite a few caches in the snow. If you're worried about tracks leading to the cache, just walk around the area, leaving tracks all over and disturb a number of other spots to throw people off. Bring a ski pole to poke around in the snow.

Going out is conditions like this is fine as long as you are prepared. If you're just doing a quick drive and dump in the local park, a warm jacket is fine. But if you are going deep into the woods for a remote cache, carry enough with you so you'd survive a night out if you had to. I dress in layers and carry a down vest, a water/windproof shell and a thick fleece, or wool sweater in my pack. I also throw in a lighter and firestarters and a Mylar emergency blanket. Avoid cotton clothing in the winter. It can kill you.

Edited by briansnat

My only worry is when I re-cover them. The material used to hide the cache is often brittle in freezing conditions. When you remove it to bring out the cache, it breaks or is compromised in some way. When you put the cache back, it is not possible to tell if the cache is adequately hidden again. ;)

It worrys me but it hasn't stopped me yet. Still, I have visions of naked caches come springtime.

ATMouse

Just got back from an 11 cache day (plus 3 DNFs) in the snow and wanted to put in my $0.03:

- Logging a DNF is fine, no shame in that if you don't spot it!

- If it takes you a long time to find the cache, your tracks will lead all over the place so won't help any other cachers that come along.

- If you find it quickly, make 'fake tracks' to throw other snow cachers off the mark. :mad:

I went snow caching today (we had 15 inches of snow this week). At one cache, I had to wade through some thigh high drifts, but I wore appropriate clothing and boots for that. There was a trail to the cache from someone else who had been there an hour earlier, but not in a way that I think anyone would notice. At another, there was a single trail in the snow to the cache. That one had a lock, so no worries about people getting in it, but I stomped around through the snow a bunch just to confuse things some for future cachers! My last cache was inside a library. So that was a particularly good one for a cold snowy day. There are often some like that around.

There are so few of us willing to brave the cold and hike in the snow that I say go for it. OK.....you leave some tracks. OK.....too much snow and you can't find the cache, it was still better than a day at work. The 'pot' at the end of the rainbow isn't the only reward.......I enjoy the views and the wilderness that cachers are showing me. Spoo

My family and I just started caching, and ALL of our cache finds have been winter ones ;) . Actually it's great fun. Dress well; bring extras of everything if you bring kids. (Gloves, hats, etc.) You tend to get wet easily when searching. The suggestions about leaving and arriving from different directions are good, and reading the clues ahead of time helps when dealing with snow cover. The area around the cache gets fairly well trampled so it's hard to pin point the actual spot of the cache after you re-hide it. When removing and hiding the cache be careful to preserve any covering material (leaves branches etc.). Place the cache back carefully, and remember that when the snow melts it may expose the cache if not placed back carefully. We try to cover the cache and as much of the immediate area with snow to protect and conceal it. We pile snow onto garbage bags and toss it onto the area. The first snow fall will cover the area well enough to hide all traces.

Be extra careful when searching, not to break too many branches. Even green saplings snap in the cold. Even if the snow cover is light, snowshoes distribute your weight over a larger area lessening the chances of damaging plants and shrubs under the snow.

Caching is a great way to deal with cabin fever... :D

;) Found 3 of them this weekend out in the cold. Probably the biggest thing to remember is to watch your step and be in the mood to log a frownie. I remember going after a cache on Blewit pass in April. The snow was still there, and we looking for this cache three times, only to be told in June the cache had been plundered.

Another thought,

On my caches pages I note if the cache is "winter-friendly" or not! I started caching end of fall over a year ago so I tend to be cognizant of hiding them in ways that are snow findable too.

Enjoy,

Randy

PS: After appearing skunked not finding the 1st stage of a multi last Friday night, we went looking for the tracks of an earlier DNF'er. Sure enough, that got us to stage #2 and we completed it from there! As others have said, snow can be helpful too.

After a few suggestions from more experienced local cachers on which local caches were likely to be findable (in snow up past my knees) I went out today over lunch and had a wonderful hunt and find. If I had cross country skis or snowshoes, it would have been even more perfect but it was good enough to be worth a set of unactivated travel bugs plus a swag refill to me.

What's odd is that this was the perfect weather for this cache. If I had gone hunting for it in the middle of summer, I probably wouldn't have appreciated it nearly as much. It was a cache waiting for a few feet of snow to make it really wonderful.

Odd how that happens sometimes.

Uncle Sam Taught me a few things about being in the snow.STAY WARM!!! Dress warm. Stay dry. Dress in layers. Bring dry socks. Keep your Head, Hands, & Feet warm, The rest of your body will follow. ALWAYS bring a kilo brick of C-4 (Plastic Explosive) in your pack. You never Know when you might need firewood to start a fire. Its astonishing how much kindling you get out of a 36" diameter, 125 foot tall fir tree.

just some of my teachings

Went snow caching today, after we received 9 - 12 inches of snow in the area this week. This particular cache was an easy find and I covered it well before leaving. Left couple other trails in snow to throw off geomuggles. If the cache was going to be hard to locate, I'd have passed it up, so as not to tear up too much of the snow cover. :P

Went snow caching today, after we received 9 - 12 inches of snow in the area this week. This particular cache was an easy find and I covered it well before leaving. Left couple other trails in snow to throw off geomuggles. If the cache was going to be hard to locate, I'd have passed it up, so as not to tear up too much of the snow cover. :P

Yup. We (actually, BettyD) did 2 caches after that breakfast.

I found the first, under a rock, under the snow.

Disguising the tracks and stuff is half the fun.

on my way north to gaylord, michigan a few weeks ago i stopped at a rest stop and realized i was 300 ft. from a cache. with just tennis shoes and jeans and snow up to my knees i went for it and found it. i just made a quick trade and signed the log and left. later that night i found out there was a geocoin in the cache. on my way back home i made a 12 mile detour in whiteout conditions just to get the coin. at least i had boots this time. it was great. got the coin, made another trade and then went home. fun! fun! fun! :P

I have am feeling an incredible itch to go out and find some caches. However, mother nature has seen fit to drop 1.5 ft of fresh powder snow on the entire area. I am not afraid of the cold or snow, but I still wonder if it is a good idea to go out in these types of conditions Two things that worry me are:

Not being able to find the cache because it is litteraly burried, and can't be found even after a prolonged serch. Also I am concerned that leaving tracks will make it to easy for the next cacher to find, or lead a non-cacher directly to the site.

Any thoughts, or tips for finding snowed in caches would be appreciated.

:lol::huh::D:D

Some of my best finds to date have been in the snow. The world takes on an entire different complexion.

Go for it! It's been said before, but if you take the time to leave extra tracks so as not to pinpoint the cache location you shouldn't feel guilty about "pointing the way". If there are tracks everywhere within 30 feet the next finder will still have his/her work cut out for them. Just think of the benefits of winter caching: no leaves to interfere with reception, so the GPS will lock on like a terrier on a porterhouse; no bugs!!!; fewer people = more parking spots & less muggle-vision. It's been a lot of fun caching this winter, and only a couple of no-finds out of the bunch.

I started geocaching this January. I live in Wisconsin. All my finds have been in the snow. I just prepare for the weather and go. I have one cache that I know I will probably not find until spring -- I've been out to it 3 times without finding it. I've been in snow up to my knees, and not being dressed, turned around again. I'v even climbed a rock ridge this past weekend over snow and ice (not the safest thing). I'm having a blast geocaching in the snow. I just figure it's going to make caching in other times of the year seem so much easier (or not!!!)

Bec

If I find ANYTHING other than VIRGIN SNOW around my hunted cache, someone is getting WHACKED!!!

Sorry, it comes from literally growing up down the block from Tony Soprano's mother's house. (what the coords? :-) Of course it's ok to cache in the snow! It just makes it more challenging if it's a ground hide. As for footprints, if you leave them and you can fly, then I'll be upset. But we can't fly so, hey, it happens. Just try to cover up a bit before you leave.

Hi there all snow lovers, it is the same here in Finland, some 40cm (1,5 feet) soft snow and still I am planning to go out for a search tomorrow. My experience is minor, but what I know for sure is that evenif you are not succesful, you have had a nice trial and alot of fresh air. Keep on going out !! :unsure::)B) For sunny days!!

PS: Pls keep in mind that when the spring comes, especially the hilltops may get VERY SLIPPERY !! I had a 'close to' situation last weekend on top of a cliff.

actually if the cache is hidden under leaves or pin needles forget about getting the cache.  IT WILL be frezed to the ground in an encasement of debris.

I carry an "entrenching tool". Small, light weight, and I am using it ONLY for moving snow and items entrapped in icy debris. Works great. (not to mention that it is a good thing to have with you in the winter woods of Maine, from a survival point of view)

Edited by Spoo

You can look at my recent snow caching logs beginning with this cache. Each log has links to the next. I went after 9 in the snow last Saturday and found some and missed some. I also got very cold wet feet. I loved every minute! I'm not sure of the snow depth at the time. We had about 25 inches, but there had been some melting. I would estimate around 18 inches depth.

Winter is a great time to cache. With a little care in placing them, little or no snow removal is necessary. I have 3 or 4 caches that I placed specifically for winter use. They get most of their hits during the off (no snow) season, but there have been a few hardy souls that have gone for the winter attempt. I do change the rating (up to 5 ) when snow covers the ground though. Their location requires some serious x-c travel, up to 10 miles round trip, depending on how well you know the area.

Hoodo, through the rocks....a virtual

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=18862

SkyHook....a micro

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=80303

Come and Get It....a traditional

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=46068

Snow caching is great--especially here, where mosquitoes are the state bird. I've only been skunked three times this winter, but on one of those, I saw later that the posted coords were off, so I'll be back. As far as geomuggles following the tracks and finding the cache, just wander a little ways off and leave some yellow snow--they'll follow the tracks, find the yellow snow, and figure that's why there are tracks leading off the main trail.