Film Canister Cito

while in another forum I posted that I found close to 200 film canisters and found a good way to place them into a cache and help out with cito . ;)

inside the film canister I have plave a plastic walmart sack (or other plastic sacks that tend to come home with me). and on the outside I have placed a sticker that also reads.

"Inside is a sack for trash. Please use it here or other caches you may visit."

of the future caches I will visit I am making up a bunch to place in the cache for the next finder or let someone take it with them for when they go caching. I hope this idea catches on as it is a neat way to make sure there a sack or such to carry trash out with... :)

Trucker

You could also add a micro log and when they use the CITO bag, they can place a micro as well. Pop in a note explaining what to do and it would be a multi use container.

Just my 2¢

F_M

Was thinking about a note for inside as well... but tried it and the note does not make it too well. ;) I am hoping that people with use the sack for CITO and then use the film canister for a micro of their own or take it with them to another cache with a new sack inside. ;)

one can only hope :blink:

Trucker

174822_2200.jpg

Goint to print up some Avery labels like this and attach to some canisters and start dropping them off in my finds.

very similar to what I have put on my lables and they stick nicely to the film canister as well. no need to sand paper or anything.

have about 60 of these made up so far. and well got rid of that big bag of walmart sacks that was in the kitchen.

I'll be hitting Walmart or Target this weekend to get some film canisters. Hopefully they are as free with them here as in your area.

F_M

I got the film canisters at a 1 hour photo place in the mall.. they had a huge box of em and said they were just going to throw them away. am sure if you ask nicely enough they will hold em for you and such if you need more than what they have there.. <_< I made several trips that week and well I know that I had more that 2000 of them at the time but can only find 200 of em. :rolleyes:

Trucker

Cover that label with some clear packing tape and you increase the waterproofness of the label and the longevity of the canister.

never thought of that .. will be adding clear packing tape to cover the labels.. just found a few of the canisters that the labels were starting to come off on.. must have been some oil or such there causing it not to stick...

Trucker

Great minds think alike, I know a lot of cacher that do this. I went to Costco and asked the man for some film cannisters, he handed me a big box of them and I'm set for life! I brought the box to the Palisades Event and told everyone to help themselves, I'm still set for life. I've been putting them in caches too. And made a couple of micros for an event with them. I store my River riding inner tube valve stems in them. There are lots of uses for them. I hear they even keep film.

I've been doing this almost since I started. You've got to ask them to save the cans for you around here. They just throw them away instantly otherwise. I've still got about a 5 gallon bucket full, myself :blink:

While you're at it, here's an easy locationless: GC38E3 that you can score just by placing 3 CITO bags in a cache!

Last year I was able to collect over 8000 film cans from various places. Many drug stores in the area had a limited supply ( 15-20 cans ), which I scheduled as a weekly pick-up. The best sites were the "Independant " film supply and developing shops. I explained that our group "NYGO" was having and event, and wanting to create a 10,000 film can pyramid (for pr ), and everyone were so excited that clubs would go out and do "CITO" for no reason. They actually looked forward to seeing me, each week. You may also want to mention, that it reduces their trash cost , as well. I approached a major food chain and got them to donate the food shopping bags ( 8000 + ) for free. It all worked extremely well. NOTE: Remember to thank them on each visit when you pick up stuff, and make sure to tell them "I'll see you next week", or what ever schedule you set up. Most of all "KEEP YOUR WORD", Don't make promises you can't keep, it makes a difference! Happy CITO. SF1 :)