My Gps, Cant Geocache?

Draku

I tried doing a GeoCache last week, but my GPS (Audiovox GMRS, yea hah..) its locator coordinates are set up like this

N 33-43-52

W 117-56-14

All the geocaches have 3 digits but mine only has 2, and it clicks over from 00 to 59 on the last digits so it drove me and my friend nuts trying to pin point anything, does this sound like a good time to upgrade or is there something I can do, It has a setting for Datums, its set to WGS84 and it also has ZANDERIJ

Thanks in Advance

-Steve

Your problem is the Lat-Long coordinate format. Your is set to Degrees Minutes & Seconds. You need to set it to Degrees & Decimal Minutes. it might be abreviated something like DD MM.mmm the location format can be changed in any gps. Just be sure to leave the datum in WGS 84

Edited by dino_hunters

Ok, there's lots of folks here with more experience that are smarter than me, so correct me if I'm wrong:

Won't a 2 decimal reading get you within about 60 feet? If so, that's probably close enough, since I usually stop looking at the GPSr when I'm around the 50 foot distance and just start looking with my eyes instead of my GPSr to find the cache.

Isn't a 3rd decimal about 6 feet? Or am I way wrong and thinking of something else?

I think the best consumer models only get you within 10 meters (approx 33 ft), but I could be mistaken.

I also have a very silly question. My father has an older garmin GPS that he used in his aircraft, which means it has airport information as opposed to highway/road information. It could still be used for caching, coudln't it?

agh, ddd mm mm means i only get two digits.. dadgum cheap thing

should I stick to UTM then ?

Use the deg. mm.mm and when you get close use the map screen and pointer if your unit shows an icon for the cache. If the map screen allows you to zoom in then zoom in as much as possible and still have the icon on the screen. Just head for the icon.

Good luck

John

I have a RINO 110 and a 120, wife uses 110 to know where I am at.

It helped in that now when I go out there after them at night she does not worry as much.Constant contact.

I have got most of our First responder interested as well,they are still the only waterproof unit.

They get me to within Inches of the mark,if coordinates are correct.Some are intentionally a little off.

In Benchmarking once the disc is recovered I get a new reading that brings me right back to within inches.

A little investment will be well worth it.

It is already out. the 130 that is.

You have maps in the 120,the only major difference I can find.

Has most Cities but not the Country roads.....I thought that it would but to just upgrade to maps is not worth the diffrence but you never know till you buy it and use it for a while,I would though think about getting the 130 if I did not have these 2 already.

It has maps,Weather Radio and quite a few other functions I can't remember right now.

I also have a very silly question. My father has an older garmin GPS that he used in his aircraft, which means it has airport information as opposed to highway/road information. It could still be used for caching, coudln't it?

I don't think that's a silly question (because I had the same one!) We are just getting started, we have an old Lowrance Airmap 100 my husband bought for aviation use. It seems to work just fine. The map was very cluttered with aviation symbols until I figured out how to turn that stuff off. It has main highways in it, you can still buy more detailed (ground) maps if you want I think.

-- Carolyn

I don't think that's a silly question (because I had the same one!) We are just getting started, we have an old Lowrance Airmap 100 my husband bought for aviation use. It seems to work just fine. The map was very cluttered with aviation symbols until I figured out how to turn that stuff off. It has main highways in it, you can still buy more detailed (ground) maps if you want I think.

-- Carolyn

-- Carolyn

-- Carolyn