Hardest PA Caches?

Manimal437

The only cache locally the I know of that even comes close to B&Gs is Magoo's Memories of Merit, this is member only, so in short it requires you to find two very difficult micros, a mathamatical puzzle, a trip through the mud, and a multi where you need to us you brain a little more then you'll need your GPS.

This will all change when Blood & Guts in New Jersey appears this summer.

On my to-do list for summer of 2004 are What a Long Strange Trip it's Been, a 5/4.5 multicache that took the first finder 14 hours to score the smiley, and The Fellowship of the Ring, a 5/3 multicache that's among the best planned and executed multi's out there. That one could require multiple trips if you're not familiar with the LOTR series and you answer too many of the multiple choice questions incorrectly. Both of these are in the Erie area and were hidden by Mike Chmi, who (sadly for us) has moved to Iowa. But his caches are still maintained by his fellow Gamehenge Rangers so that we all can enjoy them.

There is nothing close to this epic scale in Southwestern Pennsylvania, but you can't go wrong if you chose to spend a weekend finding several of Quest Master's caches. The average person can do maybe 3 of these in a day, perhaps a few more if they are familiar with the Fayette Cong area and don't get lost or stuck on back roads.

Right now I would say Choices might qualify....it's a very hard cache. And I think it's safe to say, that it be near impossible to do right now. At least to do it properly. those first 2 stages are not very snow friendly.

Anyone else who's done it, do you agree???

Yup. And there is always Enfanta's favorite cache of all time...lol :rolleyes: There is also a bunch of new ones popping up that i'm looking forward to this spring.

Edited by Ce'Nedra
You should try this one.  The logs for it are great!! I am going to do this one when we don't have 3 feet of snow on the ground.

Blood Campers 2003

Although it does look to be a difficult one, Mike Chmi found this along with 2 other caches in one day. I can almost guarantee that you can't find more than just Mike's own "What a Long Strange Trip" cache in one day.

I do plan on looking for this one though, hopefully this year.

I've been thinking about this thread for awhile and decided to base my opinion on the most physically difficult cache I have done. Hands down the winner would be Brush Mountain.

Although I never did make it for "Choices" and the "1000 steps" was grueling, this is the only cache I have done where I would not recommend doing it alone. Although I did...it was stupid of me. Too many things can go wrong even if you are prepared. Not only is it a long physically demanding hike, it is also a haven for rattlesnakes. You will likely see them if you do this one in the summer. Hopefully you will tread lightly and leave them alone. After all...its their mountain!

This cache has drawn more than its share of blood, destroyed shoes, ripped pants and demolished a water bottle or two. Come prepared...but leave the melons behind! :D Read the logs for more evidence!

The sense of accomplishment after doing this cache is truly the essence of caching for me.

Salvelinus

By the way...If I remember correctly this one CAN be found in the winter. But add a star to the terrain rating!

Salvelinus

Edited by Salvelinus
I've been thinking about this thread for awhile and decided to base my opinion on the most physically difficult cache I have done.  Hands down the winner would be Brush Mountain.

Although I never did make it for "Choices"

By the way...If I remember correctly this one CAN be found in the winter.  But add a star to the terrain rating!

Salvelinus

Shingletown Climb?

A difficult climb for a cache...but nowhere near the adventure of Brush Mountain

Salvelinus