Locationless Geocaches

Jdrummerlax

Anyone here likes locationless geocaches? I do. Some people think there not "real geocaching." I could argue both ways. Well, as most of you all know - there is no way to create a locationless geocache. I can see why. If geocachers had the option to make a locationless geocache today---I'd bet there be thousands of new ones by the end of the week! ;) So i can see why, the geocaching website has banned the creation of new locationless caches. But I still like to find them. For someone like me who doesn't travel to much...there preety cool. SOOOOO, if you could make a locationless geocache, what would it be? If I had the option to make a locationless geocache-I'd make two locationless caches called - "Playgrounds across America" - and "Large, beautiful, Stain Glass Windows." What about you? Pictures would be nice. Have fun "making" your locationless geocahes and letting us know your ideas.

Environmental Explorer - Save the Environment - :)

Edited by Jdrummerlax

They're not banned, they're only in a temporary moraturium. The administration is planning to bring them back, don't know when, but they may be in their own section, like benchmarks. This is a least my wish.

I don't do locationless, or better said, I have done two, but I didn't log a find - just a note - so that they won't mess my real find count. Why? Because I consider LCs as a different 'game' from searching hidden containers, and I like the latter more. I don't have anything against people creating or logging LCs, though. It's just not my cup of tea.

Good one Mopar. I agree with what Divine said, and even have the same number of notes on LC's. If I were to log the stained glass window I would log the Orvis Store in Manchester Vermont, they have a huge stained glass window in front of a trout splashing out of the water, catching a fly. It's gorgeous! Especially at night.

LCs need much space on the server to store all the pictures. Maybe it could help if the pictures for LC logs are not longer stored on the gc.com server. Every cacher would have to store it somewhere else and only submit a link to the picture.

Is this a reason why they are not allowing them?? I Post pics with most of my logs now and love locationless caches so I have a few photos uploaded, but was under the asumption that there was no limit to the amount of photos you could use. only the size of the image was limited.

Edited by Deego

I'm with Divine on this one and I love Mopar's cartoon. LC's just don't do it for me. I've done a couple and it was sort of a ho-hum experience. I like traditional caches because there is always the element of actually finding (or not finding) something.

Taking a picture of my GPS in front of a large 'whatchamacallit' can quickly become tiresome. This is not to say that LC's don't have a place in geocaching since a few of them can actually be quite interesting.

To each his own I say. ;)

I've worked much harder for the majority of my locationless caches than I have for many many traditionals.

If they were still alive I would have requested photos of scuba sites of course. Asking a scuba diver, standing in front of a body of water to hold your gps while wearing all their gear while you take their photo, no pool pics, real body of waters. Then I could map different sites and even visit many while on vacation.

I like locationless caches. Lots of people do. However, this issue has been talked to death. A search will find lots on this issue.

The moratorium will be over sometime after the new site is up. They will have their own section, like benchmarks.

As far as stained glass windows, check out John's Pizza on W 44th in NYC if you get a chance. While your there, order anything. Its all good.

I've done a couple locationless caches. It was a way to play with my GPSr when there was too much snow to do a real cache.

My thought for a locationless was "Population Poker" where the cacher would take a picture of themselves with GPSr in hand in front of the city limits sign for a town/city with the population showing. It would be open ONLY to towns/cities with 5 digits in the population figure as there are 5 cards used in a poker hand. The population of the town/city would be your hand. Does your town's population give you a pair? 3-of-a-kind? a straight? or what? No poker pot to win -- just the joy and satisfaction of a job well done -- and a "found" added to your cache list.

I've done a couple locationless caches. It was a way to play with my GPSr when there was too much snow to do a real cache.

My thought for a locationless was "Population Poker" where the cacher would take a picture of themselves with GPSr in hand in front of the city limits sign for a town/city with the population showing. It would be open ONLY to towns/cities with 5 digits in the population figure as there are 5 cards used in a poker hand. The population of the town/city would be your hand. Does your town's population give you a pair? 3-of-a-kind? a straight? or what? No poker pot to win -- just the joy and satisfaction of a job well done -- and a "found" added to your cache list.

I guess my home town falls a couple of digits short to play, plus we can't afford a population sign anyhow. ;)

I enjoy reading about the locationless caches and I planning to do a couple. This hobby is about more than just finding a box in the weeds. I was planning to post a locationless cache and just found out that there is a moratorium on the new ones. ;)

The admin said that they were not really "geocaching", ie finding a box with a GPSr. I thought about that, and after looking at the logs of locationless caches, it seems that they are a way of encouraging people to get outside and use their GPSr since there are sometimes dozens of new coordinates to explore for each cache posted. How can we find out if and when the moratorium will end?

Edited by aerospacecase

: Wisconsin county highway signs. First person has picture by sign County A, then second person by County B, etc. Once Z is reached, start over.

Good One! My cabin is a mile off of (1 of the many) County Z's -

Actually I could get probably 5 letters nailed down within 10 miles of the cabin...

I like them myself- have had alot of fun doing them- and also learned alot about the GPS.

Oh, and I only have 37 finds, 14 of which are Locationless, so Im not sure I quantify

I enjoy reading about the locationless caches and I planning to do a couple. This hobby is about more than just finding a box in the weeds. I was planning to post a locationless cache and just found out that there is a moratorium on the new ones. ;)

The admin said that they were not really "geocaching", ie finding a box with a GPSr. I thought about that, and after looking at the logs of locationless caches, it seems that they are a way of encouraging people to get outside and use their GPSr since there are sometimes dozens of new coordinates to explore for each cache posted. How can we find out if and when the moratorium will end?

Yes, locationless is another game to play with your GPS, but that doesn't make them geocaches.

It was a way to play with my GPSr when there was too much snow to do a real cache.

That's right. Snow! A major factor. At least there is some feeling of a hunt. Especailly on ones where you have to visit certain coordinates or really do some planning. YJ type caches are fun when you happen to see them, but I'm not going searching for one of them!

Hmmmm....20 posts or so before mine and only 3 replying correctly to the initial post.....seems like the ones talking about the dead horse are the ones doing the beating.

As for my locationless....

How about this: My Favorite Cache! To log you must return to your favorite cache of all the ones you have done up until you log this one. Take a picture of you with the cache container and the best view from the cache. Tell what made this your favorite cache. Can only log once etc....

I know, I know, locationless caches don't even begin to qualify as geoching. But I can't help it. I love them! :lol:

I have this brain that remembers huge amounts of useless (to SOME people) facts, that I can bring up at a moments notice. So I do well with locationless. We can be driving along, and I'll point to something, and I'll say, "that's a locationless!" Or I'll be talking to someone about something, and I'll say, "did you know that's a locationless cache?" It totally drives my husband crazy. :cute:

I really like all four main types of caches: traditional, multi, virtual, and locationless. If you look at my statistics, you can see that I've done pretty much everything you can do, except benchmarks. I also own a wide range of cache types.

I just really think that they're all different, and they all have their place. I can't say what I like more...they're just different. It depends on where you are, what you are doing. It gives you a ggod dose of variety.

I own two locationless, and I would have owned a couple of more, if I had got off my butt and submitted them long before they were put on hold. So I have some ideas for some (I think) cool ones. But I'm not going to say what they are before they are copywritten! ;):blink:;):blink::grin:B)

The more I read the forums and the more I think about it, the more I believe that LCs should have their own section. One thing I don't like is the fact that with many LCs you can log only one item only one time. For example water towers - once somebody logs that water tower, its out of commission for the rest of us. Maybe we should have a water tower section. You can keep a tally of water towers just like caches. Reminds me of driving across the country when I was a kid. About every other summer we used to drive from LA to Detriot on Route 66 to visit the relatives on my Dad's side of the family. One summer we deviated and drove through Kansas just to see something different. It was so boring I started counting grain elevators. I also became fascinated with the variety of farm equipment. I counted grain elevators and drew pictures of farm equipment all the way through Kansas. We stopped at a rest stop in the middle of Kansas. It had one of those hand crank water pumps you've seen on the Real McCoys or the Rifleman. The water was cold but it tasted like iron. My sixth grade teacher was from Kansas. He had crew cut, ruddy complexion, and no neck. Mr. Groves. J.D. Groves from Mankato, Kansas. He was going to teach all of us SoCal suburbanite kids to be farmers. We had to pick a variety of livestock, like a dairy cow, sheep, or pig, and write a report about it. If you goofed up in class he'd draw a circle on the chalkboard and you had to put your nose in it. It was just high enough so you'd have to stretch a little up on your toes. You could do stuff like that to kids then. Man I hated that guy.

In the future, please refer to locationless caches "geospotting" as there is no physical cache at the end of the hunt.  B)

I've suggested many times, and once again: Geophotographing.

Like it :blink: or a Geophoto cache. I think they have their place on geocaching. some of them can be fun.

By the way Captian Morgan I have been waiting to geophoto log one of yours locationless caches any idea when it will be re-available ? thanks :cute:;) cant send you a PM it wont work ;):blink: is says no member with that name !!!

In the future, please refer to locationless caches "geospotting" as there is no physical cache at the end of the hunt.  :blink:

I've suggested many times, and once again: Geophotographing.

Some names different people have suggested for LCs:

photocaching - Snappy term, but has the same problem as LCs, as there's no cache involved (someone suggested that it could indicate a cache of photos or something). It also lacks the geo-prefix and thus consistency. OTOH, benchmarking doesn't have that prefix either.

photolocating - Lacks the geo-prefix, see above.

photonavigating - Lacks the geo-prefix, see above. Somewhat clumsy and inflexible term.

geophotographing - There's the prefix now, but the word a bit stiff and clumsy too, IMO.

geospotting - This is pretty snappy and punchy word, and it even has the consistent prefix. OTOH, it reminds me of my parents' dog when she's in heat. ;);)

Edit: typo & grammar

Edited by Divine
I don't do locationless, or better said, I have done two, but I didn't log a find - just a note - so that they won't mess my real find count.

I agree with the above, but have taken another approach. I have logged my Locationless finds under a different user. One user, hbrx, for the real caches. And

a reverse one xrbh, for the locationless.

This trick does it for me.

hbrx/xrbh

Hi guys,

Like many of you I am not into Locationless caches. I have logged one and that's enough for me. I just wanted to have the Locationless cache image on my found list ;). That was the only reason I searched for one. So no more Locationless caches for me.

I also have a thing with Webcam caches and Virtual caches.. So far I have one of each and I'm not sure if I want more of them or not..

Hi guys,

Like many of you I am not into Locationless caches. I have logged one and that's enough for me. I just wanted to have the Locationless cache image on my found list ;). That was the only reason I searched for one. So no more Locationless caches for me.

I also have a thing with Webcam caches and Virtual caches.. So far I have one of each and I'm not sure if I want more of them or not..

I've done the same thing. I've got one locationless and only had one virtual, but was in the neighborhood for a second and it kept appearing on my "undone" list, so I logged it, too. Also logged a couple of benchmarks, just so I could say I've done every type of cache...still waiting to do a multi cache, though, and one just popped up close to me! :blink:

Hey, does anyone know when this new l"ocationless cache part"of the website will appear. I'd like to know so I can start getting ready to make some locationless caches. Thanks for all the interesting input on this topic -

Environmental Explorer

Make a difference - recycle paper - save a life :D

And if you ask Jeremy when the ban on Locationless will end .... "I'm work'n on it"

I think LL caches are cool, although i havn't logged one yet, but think there should be some real strickt guidlines on "placing" them. The ones like american flag and clothsline are boring. i can log them without leaving the house

And if you ask Jeremy when the ban on Locationless will end .... "I'm work'n on it"

I think LL caches are cool, although i havn't logged one yet, but think there should be some real strickt guidlines on "placing" them. The ones like american flag and clothsline are boring. i can log them without leaving the house

Well I'm sure if there is a return on locationless such things as a flagpole won't be allowed. Like I've said earlier, I've worked harder with my locationless caches than I did with most of my traditionals.

In the future, please refer to locationless caches "geospotting" as there is no physical cache at the end of the hunt.  :D

Should we get rid of the "Geo" as well, since it really has very little to do with geography or earth sciences?

I think of geocaching as "finding something with a GPS". It doesn't matter that the etymology doesn't really work. It often doesn't. the post office ships things in cars until it goes on a ship, at which time it becomes cargo. I park in my driveway and drive on the parkway. It's not worth making new words for (unless you have some other agenda, such as the removal of non-physical caches from the database).