Seting Up A Etrex (yellow)

msc1974

Help!!!

I've just gone out and bought myself a new GPS (eTrex - Yellow) and the first time I go out and try and find a cache with it, it points me right into the middle of the bush. None of the logs/hints on the cache page make any sense and I'm sure I've setup the thing wrong. I've checked the waypoints that I downloaded to the eTrex and they are all ok.

I'm unsure about the "SETUP" section of the GPS. Things like Position format, Map Datum, Units, North Ref and Variance. I've clicked on Defaults but I think I've done something wrong.

Can anyone help? :)

I'm no expert but you might want to check that your GPSr is set to use WGS84 datums; that might put you off the mark. Of course it is possible that the cache is actually hidden in "the middle of the bush." Best of luck and keep trying! Once you find one you won't stop until you have found them all!!!

If you've gone to setup, then units, and clicked defaults it should have defaulted to minute decimal minute (hddd.mm.mmm) postion format, and WGS-84 datum. This is fine, it is exactly what you need it set to.

Now, go outside and let the unit get a good lock, then hold down the 'enter' button, this should bring up the mark waypoint screen asking if its ok to a record the waypoint. Is the waypoint have the letters S and E?? (like S 36° 59.XXX E 174° 54.YYY?) If its something close then the unit would seem to be working right.

Remember that the gps will only help you get to the general area, not find the cache for you. Even in 'good' condition there may be an error of 2 to 20 meters.

For your first few caches, try lower rated (less stars) caches. These should be easier to find and easier to get to. That way even if you can't find it on the first attempt you can read the other logs, contact the owner for a hint, or perhaps see if a local cacher can meet you there for 'tutoring'.