Cheap Way To Mount Your Gps

nateminy

When I drove the Oldsmobeast, I stuck a big piece of industrial strength velcro on top of my dash. A strip of the regular stuff went on the bottom of my 3+. My 3+ never budged. As a side benefit, I use the strip on the bottom to velcro it to airplane windows.

Now that I have my WJ, the 3+ sits in the open dash storage compartment (the ashtray for all you smokers). It sits on a sticky pad to keep it from moving around. Its placement allows it to be plugged in to the nearby power outlet. The cord for an external powered antenna is routed through the dash and out the twilight sentinal hole to allow the antenna to sit on top of the dash.

When I first started, I used to wedge my yellow etrex like that. It worked ok for all but the most agressive turns. Unfortunately, it had two downfalls (actually more if you count the ones caused by the agressive turns). One was that it started to leave an impression in the otp of my dashboard, the other was that it didn't work well when I had the data cable attached. My solution was to purchase a cheap universal radar detector mount and cut a slot in it. I slip the belt clip on my Vista's case through the slot, and it holds it in place just fine.

I've found that this works perfect with my Garmin Legend.  With the unit upright, simply wedge it between your dash and windshield.  The rubber around the unit holds it in place tightly.  Thought this might help some people.

Careful. I cracked my windshield doing that. Yes I'm serious. Bought a GPS mount after that.

Edited by JMBella

That was exactly my concern even though I did do that. I had to put it up where I could see it while keeping an eye on the road. What I have done though, can be seen here.

I wanted a quick disconnect to the mount as well as the power. Didn't care much for the dash or windshield mount that Magellan had to offer, but I didn't care for the cradle RAM had to offer. So I took a Magellan bicycle mount and attached it to a RAM flexarm setup. It isn't cheap, but it does keep from adding more clutter on the dash and I can move the arm out of the way when not in use (which is rare).

The Magellan wedges between the dash and windshield of the family car pretty well, but it's not so good in my truck, which has a more upright windshield. My motorcycle doesn't exactly has a dash. I used to slide it into the map holder of the tank bag for my motorcycle until I got a handlebar mount for it. It works great and has car applications too. It's a RAM set-up - the same company that TotemLake uses. A company called CYCOACTIVE produces the RAM mounts, which can be seen HERE. The site is based on motorcycle equipment but has many automoblie applications. The site also leans heavy on Garmins but they also supply parts, mounts and accessories for Magellans too.

C'mon people, SOMEONE has to make an immature comment about the choice of words in the topic's subject line!! Where're the regulars when you need them?;)

I may be overly paranoid, but I worry about my GPS being in the direct sunlight for extended periods of time. I have a legend with the black spandex/pleather-type case and it gets really hot to the touch after a while.

I used to wedge my Legend also but it would keep coming loose and sliding onto the floor during my normal driving. What does that say about my driving?

Anyway, I like the positioning, you can see it while driving and the antenna has a clear view. Velcro to the top of the dash means you can't see the screen while driving and velcro to the front of the dash limits reception.

What I did was buy a cheap cell phone holder with a quick release side clamp. I modified it but attaching a suction cup to the top (to stick to the windshield) and a small peice of velcro to hold the bottom in place.

So I get the same positioning without the falling over problem and nothing is permantently altered on my truck.

The Magellan wedges between the dash and windshield of the family car pretty well, but it's not so good in my truck, which has a more upright windshield. My motorcycle doesn't exactly has a dash. I used to slide it into the map holder of the tank bag for my motorcycle until I got a handlebar mount for it. It works great and has car applications too. It's a RAM set-up - the same company that TotemLake uses. A company called CYCOACTIVE produces the RAM mounts, which can be seen HERE. The site is based on motorcycle equipment but has many automoblie applications. The site also leans heavy on Garmins but they also supply parts, mounts and accessories for Magellans too.

If you don't mind a small correction - RAM produces RAM mounts. CYCOACTIVE is a reseller.

Two additional things to consider: 1. In most states attaching anything to your windshield except for certain designated areas is illegal. This is probable cause for a traffic stop. This also may obstruct your vision and cause a collision. 2. If you use a home made or commercial bracket to hold your GPSr, make certain that it will not cause harm if you become involved in a collision. Also make certain that the bracket and/or GPSr is not in the deployment path of any airbags. With modern cars having multiple air bags, it is often difficult to find a location where the mount and attached item will not become projectiles when hit with an airbag.

Very good reasons to bring a spouse, significant other, or friend along with you and have them hold the GPSr!