Traditional Vs. Virtual

As much as I defend people placing VC's I would not hesitate for one moment to dump the entire concept to discourage parks from designating that virtuals are the way to go.

Traditionals are what most enjoy, what most of us cut our teeth on, and what most of us would choose if we could only have one type of cache.

I agree. I have done a virtual or 2, and yeah they might have neat history behind the spot. But I like to physically find the cache and read the logs. Not to mention trading stuff. I just feel traditional caches have more meaning and more sense of acomplishment than virtuals. I pretty much only do virtuals to get them off my "close cache" page

Uhh, who is asking for permission to do a virt on public land? Your question seems to imply that a park official will, in reponse to the request to place a traditional, respond with "No, but you're welcome to set up a virtual..." If I got that kind of answer, I'm going to talk to someone else because it's obvious this person doesn't get it.

I don't think giving up virts will do anything to change the answer above. Saying yes to (or suggesting) a virt is a nice way of saying no to a traditional.

Edited by CacheCreatures
As much as I defend people placing VC's I would not hesitate for one moment to dump the entire concept to discourage parks from designating that virtuals are the way to go.

The park system doesn't need this site to have or not have virtuals to deny a physical cache.

If virtuals were removed from GC.com, then their obvious answer would change to be "No, you can't place a physical cache there...can't you submit the neat location to waypoint.org?"

They clearly understand (using NC's policy as an example) that a virtual is of something interesting (signage, etc) and a physical cache is hidden off-trail in the woods. They are only hoping that by suggesting a virtual you'll hide less physicals. If you tell them, I only want to hide a physical deep in the woods, they will either say yes or no and it will have no bearing on the ability to list a virtual here or not since there is no sign or reason for a virtual out there.

To paraphrase another poster..this seems like posting for posting/animosity's sake.

My hope would be that a new section of the website for virtuals and locationless (much like the separate area for benchmarking) will help to solve two problems at the same time.

First, by separating these from physical geocaches, they hopefully become two different concepts in the eyes of a land manager, and not so much as being close equivalents. You don't hear land managers say "no caches, but please come hunt the four benchmarks in our park." Virtual and locationless caches are just points on the globe to be visited. So long as the land is open to the public, no permission should ever be needed for a virtual cache.

Second, in a separate section the standards for listing a virtual or locationless cache could be quite different, opening up the door for people who would enjoy playing that type of GPS-based game. They would no longer be "competing for space" with physical caches. You don't see physical cache submissions being denied because they're too close to a benchmark, right?

Don't do away with virts and locationless in order to "save" traditional geocaching. Give them their own section, better designed for that different type of activity, and allow both to prosper.

Traditionals are what most enjoy, what most of us cut our teeth on, and what most of us would choose if we could only have one type of cache.

Nope wouldn't do it. Don't even see a need to consider it actually.

My hope would be that a new section of the website for virtuals and locationless (much like the separate area for benchmarking) will help to solve two problems at the same time.

Excellent idea.

Perhaps they should be called "landmarking" or "landmark hunting"or something like that so it could be marketed as completely separate from geocaching.

I think the biggest issue with virts is that they render a 528 foot circle "off limits" for a real cache.

Making it a completely separate section like benchmarking is the way to go.

I have seen some really neat virtual cache pages, but I haven't been to any that I enjoyed as much as the physical caches I have found.

Given a choice between only ever doing virtual or physical caches from now on, I'd choose to do physical caches. I'm not opposed to finding virts, but if they were the only type of cache to look for, I'd go find something else to do with my GPS.

I'd just mention that the traditional caches usually help trashing out (aka cleaning up the park) because people often leave prepackaged bags made for cleaning out the park in the cache. (Then I'd pull out a film container with a plastic bag in it.)

All we have to do is show why it's in the best interest of the park to place a physical cache there.

I think the biggest issue with virts is that they render a 528 foot circle "off limits" for a real cache.

528 ft. would just be the radius of the circle. The diameter would be twice that, or 1056 ft. With a circumference of 3317.522, this would use an area of 875,825.766 feet.

However, since the earth is a sphere, we're talking about a surface area of about 3,503,303.065 feet.

528 ft. would just be the radius of the circle. The diameter would be twice that, or 1056 ft. With a circumference of 3317.522, this would use an area of 875,825.766 feet.

However, since the earth is a sphere, we're talking about a surface area of about 3,503,303.065 feet.

That made my head hurt, and I didn't even do the math! ;)

The only reason VCs interfere with other caches for the proximity limit is because the site is coded that way. It can't be that hard to change the code so VC's only affect proximity to other VCs. It's not a seperate site, its just "fixing" the behavior.

On the other hand, from a cache is a cache perspective, do you really want to have them getting that "packed" Certainly, the physical one could say, "hey, check out the landmark located 50 degrees north of here, bout 500 feet"

I like VCs. They're edutaining. When they force you to study them looking for answers to a question , they're really more of a puzzle cache.

Calling them Landmarks might be the way to go. It pretty much implies, some interesting thing to see.

Janx

That made my head hurt, and I didn't even do the math! ;)

I was just trying to point out that rendering a circle unusable for traditional geocaches would not be as bad as rendering the area inside that circle unusable as well.

Edit:typo

This math came up in another topic a month or so back. I did the geometry on it then and came to the realization that two caches can be 528 feet apart, so even though the diameter is over 1000 ft for a surrounding circle from a single cache, there can be a large overlap on two coinciding caches (at perfection, they can share an entire radius with each other). This sets up a hexagonally expanding pattern of concentric circles where the central circle's circumference touches on 6 other caches and they in turn touch it and 5 others (2 of which are in the 6 touching the central cache) and so on outward at a formula of:

y = 3k(k+1)+1

Where y is the number of caches in a hexagon of layer k.

Figure 10 will help.

On that page, you have to imagine the radius is only 264 (half of our threshold) which means you can have non-overlapping disks where the center (cache) is 528 feet from any other center (cache).

Knowing that equation, you can determine how many layers it would take to cover the majority of the Earth's surface (stretched as a flat plane) and get an estimate on the number of disks for that many layers. That would be how many geocaches to totally saturate the Earth.

....or you could just go a few hundred feet and put your geocache in the next tree over, lazy.

On that page, you have to imagine the radius is only 264 (half of our threshold) which means you can have non-overlapping disks where the center (cache) is 528 feet from any other center (cache).

I would agree with that statement.

My trouble with the statement I was quoting was the definition of a 528 ft. circle.

That made my head hurt, and I didn't even do the math! :)

I was just trying to point out that rendering a circle unusable for traditional geocaches would not be as bad as rendering the area inside that circle unusable as well.

Edit:typo

This math came up in another topic a month or so back. I did the geometry on it then and came to the realization that two caches can be 528 feet apart, so even though the diameter is over 1000 ft for a surrounding circle from a single cache, there can be a large overlap on two coinciding caches (at perfection, they can share an entire radius with each other). This sets up a hexagonally expanding pattern of concentric circles where the central circle's circumference touches on 6 other caches and they in turn touch it and 5 others (2 of which are in the 6 touching the central cache) and so on outward at a formula of:

y = 3k(k+1)+1

Where y is the number of caches in a hexagon of layer k.

Figure 10 will help.

Knowing that equation, you can determine how many layers it would take to cover the majority of the Earth's surface (stretched as a flat plane) and get an estimate on the number of disks for that many layers. That would be how many geocaches to totally saturate the Earth.

....or you could just go a few hundred feet and put your geocache in the next tree over, lazy.

Oooooowwwwwwwiiiiieeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on, guys! I killed enough brain cells when I was a teenager, now just reading this stuff has them jumping out my ears and committing geocide!!! ;):o;)

And to think, I passed my Advanced College Algebra course with a 120%! Never missed a single question on any assignment or test, and aced all the extra credit assignments.......and I still hate the stuff! :)

1 bushel = 35.24 liters.

1 acre = 4046.86 sq. meters.

If the crop is densely-packed and 6ft high....

7400.89 cubic meters in bushels is....

210 019.464 bushels.

Round down for space between the crops... 200,000 bushels per acre for a 6 ft crop...give or take a few thousand bushels.

Yeah, that would only work if your field was 6 foot deep in corn or wheat kernels only. Since the actual yield comes from actual kernels, and kernels are only a very small part of the actual plant, and the actual plants are several inches apart, etc, etc. ;)

20 to 60 bushels per acre is a good figure for most corn or wheat farmers.

I must be doing something else wrong, too....

If hay (something where most of the plant is the crop as opposed to seed crops) were the crop. The density of hay is 10 lb/cubic foot in a decent bale. At that rate, if an average crop acre yields about 4-5 tons of hay in a year, all the hay could be knocked down to a solid block on that acre....about 5 millimeters thick...

Either I screwed up some math in there, or farming is *the* most inefficient thing on the planet. No wonder these places go belly-up. An entire acre and the most they can use of it is less than a pencil thick on the surface....

Time to start pumping some more money into terraforming...

I must be doing something else wrong, too....

If hay (something where most of the plant is the crop as opposed to seed crops) were the crop. The density of hay is 10 lb/cubic foot in a decent bale. At that rate, if an average crop acre yields about 4-5 tons of hay in a year, all the hay could be knocked down to a solid block on that acre....about 5 millimeters thick...

Either I screwed up some math in there, or farming is *the* most inefficient thing on the planet. No wonder these places go belly-up. An entire acre and the most they can use of it is less than a pencil thick on the surface....

Time to start pumping some more money into terraforming...

I grew up in this farming community, and have seen more than my fair share of farmers go "belly up" in my lifetime, with more following them everyday. Most farmers I know get 3 crops a year, sometimes 4: wheat, corn, milo or soybeans, and hay (alfalfa). What they make off those crops is what they live off of for the entire year. If their wheat and corn get whacked by a bad hailstorm, they're in debt for it for the next 5 years at minimum. Some farmers around here have lost every crop the past 3 years due to hail, wind, and drought. They are hocked up to their eyeballs, and dirt poor. A lot of them will never recover. What this has to do with traditional caches, I don't know....I've lost track of how the topic turned this way....sorry....... ;)

...Either I screwed up some math in there, or farming is *the* most inefficient thing on the planet.  No wonder these places go belly-up.  An entire acre and the most they can use of it is less than a pencil thick on the surface...

Unless you were an earthworm and ate dirt directly, you need that intermediate plant step. Just a thought.

Unless you ate the worms directly, in which case you could eliminate the plant step.

This is all true. But what if it was reversed and traditionals had to be dumped and only virts were allowed? And how can we stop either extreme from happening?