Using UTM

IMUX

quote:
Originally posted by N8GFL/N8JCM:

Is it acceptable to use UTM ? All my maps and charts are military.

Acceptable? What's that? Whatever works for you is acceptable. And note that the cache pages carry the UTM location, as well as lat/lon. But be careful that the map datum is WGS84, as opposed to NAD27 -- or you'll have major problems. The datum should be noted somewhere in the small print at the bottom.

Or was it MGRS? They are not quite the same. I used MGRS for 20+ years, still have a ton of mil-maps. Like you, I started using MGRS and converting. But what a pain! Soon enough I convinced myself that if I could learn and understand Metric, I could also learn and understand LAT/LON. Now it is easy.

So, to answer your question.... YES. Without a doubt you can do it. However, I would recommend you just suck it up and learn LAT/LON. It isn't that hard.... really.

Enjoy...

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Lat and Long are not the best for plotting points on maps. UTM's when used in conjuction with a

program like National Geographics Topos can't be beat. You can set your grids from 100 to 1000 meters, 500 meters which is 1/2 of the standard tick marks on a topo is about the best setting.

And you can set your datums to match your gps settings. Here is a link to some utm's

http://www.maptools.com/UsingUTM/index.html

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

I was a forward observer and in my experience all the aircraft used Lat and Long, there's too much distortion in UTM (MSRG), thats why the airforce had their own forward air controllers, plus we couldn't talk with them on out radios. Of course this was in the Vietnam era, I understand you can talk directly to air assets now, but I work with the Civilian Air Patrol in SAR and they want Lat & Long.

quote:
Originally posted by elifish:

I asked about being able to submit a cache using UTM's but it didn't sound hopeful, so you have to get used to converting if you want to create your own caches anyway.

No need to convert - just set your GPSr to lat/lon and WGS84 and take your cache location readings. You can still get yourself in and out of a place with map and compass.

...we use this all the time; haven't had a problem with it so far, unless we forget to use the "-" sign for western longitude. But then we have only ourselves to blame when that happens.

Here's the page we use...

Jeeep.com coordinate translation page

...it must be annoying to use Lat/Long in the UK and western Europe, because you always have to remember if you are East or West.

-J