Calling All Sportrak Owners

Hello Group, my STP Purchased 30 April 2003, has developed stress cracks too, front casing, 2 bottom right, 1 bottom left. (lookng towards the screen) the date code is 44 02. I am still in warranty, thanks to you people for pointing this fault out, I would have never noticed. My location is Mansfield, Notts, UK.

Regards, Malc.

Edited by Malct56

;):D:D:D:D

This is a summary of the Sportrak poll to date. I'm doing this summary so soon after the last one, because this thread has now rolled over into its second page. For those who haven't visited this thread before, please read page one before posting so we can keep things consistent and clutter-free.

Sportrak poll summary to date :

Reported Date Codes range from 1502 to 3603.

Total with cracks: 30 (75%)

Total without cracks: 10 (25%)

Reported Date Codes without cracks are: 2202,3102, 3302, 4102, 4702, 0203, 2503.

5 of 40 were reported without date codes, but I've chosen to include them in the totals anyway.

Also, anyone who reported bulging, discoloration, etc at the bolts without actual cracks (only a couple), got counted as having cracks because I didn't want to make a new category, and the issue at hand is structural integrity, and I would say their problem counts.

Sportrak Color models are not included because they have a different type of case.

Please keep adding posts. I'll do another summary in a few days. Thanks!

:D:D:DB):D

Edited by Karma Hunter

SporTrak Pro, date code 4702, one tiny crack at the right side middle screw. I have since backed off the middle screws 1/8 turn, as well as the corner screws 1/16 turn. Will be keeping an eye on this condition and this thread.

As an added thing to watch for, I just noticd a crack in the center of the back case starting at the threaded insert (for the pc/12v cable attachment)! :)

Have any of these been dropped or banged into, to cause the stress cracking??

To keep this thread somewhat uncluttered, let's assume the default is that there hasn't been any user-caused damage. In other words, rather than have the 50 or so people who have already responded to the poll come back again and answer this question, just respond if you believe your cracks were caused by user error. Based on the number of brand new models reported with developing cracks, I'm going to guess that not too much of what is being reported is due to abuse.

I noticed that the Color is a better built unit with the screw holes not exposed, like all the others.
Yes, the case is different. That's why the Sportrak Color isn't being included in the poll.
About 75% of about 24 Sportrak map/pro/topo owners have cracks around screws. I bet rate is higher.

Look closer. Mine has cracks on both front and back covers on several screws.  :D

sportrak.jpg

I have a similar scratch on my gps unit (SporTrak Map). But after removing the screw, I can clearly see that it is not a crack, just a scratch. You might want to remove the screw from the case and recheck your gps. It might not be cracked. But then again I may have caught mine in time. I backed the screws out once I caught wind of this. It's a great unit for GPSing; but now I can't in good faith recommend this unit to others because of this problem. Magellan really needs to get a handle on this.

Edited by Finler
I have a similar scratch on my gps unit (SporTrak Map). But after removing the screw, I can clearly see that it is not a crack, just a scratch.

Is your scratch on the back half of the case (directly under the bolt head), or on the front half of the case (the part the bolt threads into)? The one on the back cover (although it is most obvious in the photo) is unusual. The common crack is a line on the front cover in line with the screw, often accompanied by a slight bulge. In the photo it is a faint white line which is less pronounced than the line under the bolt head. If you wanted to examine it you would not be able to see more of it by taking out the screw without also separating the two halves of the case and removing the rubber gasket. In many cases the crack is so developed that this is unecessary. Your case may indeed be fine. I just wanted to be sure people are looking in the most likely place. Either way, don't forget to include a date code. Thanks!

STP; DC 4702; purchased 2/2003; 2 cracks, one on each side at the middle screw

my friends purchased a STM; DC 4302; purchased sometime in the last 6 months; 3 cracks, 2 at the bottom two screws and the other in the middle.

Guess I will be upgrading to a plat sooner than I figured :D

got my sportrack dec 2003 have bulges by all the crews am not happy nice job on getting this out would of never noticed this my dc is 3603 lets get this imfo to magellan

thanks

Contacting the correct person has been a challenge. After a week of trying different people, in different departments, I think I got a hold of someone that can address the issue internally. I will keep everyone posted, as more info is available. I am working on behalf of all SporTrack owners, so what ever is decided will benefit everyone. Please be patient, this may take some time to address properly and satisfactorily for all parties involved. :D

After reading through this thread again, I took the advice to look at the back of my SporTrak Pro, and guess what? A small crack. It doesn’t surprise me considering a 75 percent failure rate on these SporTrak cases. Thales should replace the case on any unit regardless of whether or not the warranty period has expired. As for those owners who have not seen any cracks; keep looking. One more thing. If there has not been a change of the plastic formulation in the case, any case you receive from Thales will be prone to the same problem. Do we really want to go through the hassle of sending our receivers back to the manufacturer every time a defect in the case is noticed, and possibly being charged for repair when it is obvious that the problem is with the manufacturer and not with the user? It’s enough to make want to buy a Garmin, but I have too much invested by means of cables, software, brackets, and user familiarity to switch units. For their own good, and ours, Thales needs to step up and admit there’s a problem, take corrective action, and satisfy existing customers, before this issue becomes so big, it’s the deciding factor for future GPSr owners.

That is exactly what is being discussed at this very moment. Please be patient
Ahhh patience. I think I have some, but it is largely occupied by doing constant battle with curiosity. I'm glad to hear someone is pursuing the big picture with Thales. I didn't want to have to be the one to file a class action lawsuit. Since you're acting on behalf of the group, I'm sure those who are following this thread would enjoy hearing some details about the conversations you've had, even if they are preliminary.

I have a (stupid?) question to ask: once Magellan repaired a unit under warranty, is the warranty extended to one more year? That would make sense, right?

Other question for canadians: what is the best speed/safety/price compromise to send a Sportrak to Magellan in the US? What about the customs issue? What should I declare? I don't want to pay custom taxes to have my unit repaired.

That is exactly what is being discussed at this very moment. Please be patient
Ahhh patience. I think I have some, but it is largely occupied by doing constant battle with curiosity. I'm glad to hear someone is pursuing the big picture with Thales. I didn't want to have to be the one to file a class action lawsuit. Since you're acting on behalf of the group, I'm sure those who are following this thread would enjoy hearing some details about the conversations you've had, even if they are preliminary.

I am assuming you have received my e-mail by now. You can reply to it for the information. As Thales employees read the board, believe it or not, I do not feel it would be a good idea to discuss the info hear. Also, as soon as I discuss a “possibility” here, it will be expected/assumed it will happen, then if it does not, total letdown.

I have a similar scratch on my gps unit (SporTrak Map). But after removing the screw, I can clearly see that it is not a crack, just a scratch.

Is your scratch on the back half of the case (directly under the bolt head), or on the front half of the case (the part the bolt threads into)? The one on the back cover (although it is most obvious in the photo) is unusual. The common crack is a line on the front cover in line with the screw, often accompanied by a slight bulge. In the photo it is a faint white line which is less pronounced than the line under the bolt head. If you wanted to examine it you would not be able to see more of it by taking out the screw without also separating the two halves of the case and removing the rubber gasket. In many cases the crack is so developed that this is unecessary. Your case may indeed be fine. I just wanted to be sure people are looking in the most likely place. Either way, don't forget to include a date code. Thanks!

No it's on the front half or external side. After removing the screw, I can see that the scratch is external only and does not run through the case loop. As for the D/C number it's with my first post.

I have a (stupid?) question to ask: once Magellan repaired a unit under warranty, is the warranty extended to one more year? That would make sense, right?
Probably not. Not sure exactly how Magellan does it, but some companies offer no additional warranty beyond the first year (even if you get your replacement the last day of the year). The more generous companies might offer soemthing like 90 days on the new item, or the remainder of your one year, whichever is longer. They do this to avoid the possibility of giving you a new product annually for the rest of your life. Occasionally, if the company recognizes a general defect in a particular product (coughsportrakcrackscough) they will extend the warranty to cover that particular problem for longer than the time period of the standard warranty (and hopefully redesign it to so that you aren't without your product every few months as it goes bad again.). This is their way of saying "it's our fault and we're sorry" which is a very different message from "we already have your money so screw you."
SporTrak Color, DC 2503 - no cracks or problems.

I kinda wish it did have the cracks - I could use a mount and some accessories.

That was my point of view, too. Stress on 'was'.

Check around the brass thread on the back. Yeah, the one to fix your data cable.

Maybe a tiny crack? Or two? Even three?

Not even tiny? That's my unit... :ph34r:

:D:P:ph34r::P:D

This is a summary of the Sportrak poll to date:

Total with cracks: 39 (76%)

Total without cracks: 12 (24%)

Date codes range from 1502 to 4203.

Reported date codes without cracks are: 2202, 2302, 3102, 3302(x2), 4102, 4702, 0203, 2503.

And the usual disclaimer:

5 of 40 were reported without date codes, but I've chosen to include them in the totals anyway.

Also, anyone who reported bulging, discoloration, etc at the bolts without actual cracks (only a couple), got counted as having cracks because I didn't want to make a new category, and the issue at hand is structural integrity, and I would say their problem counts.

Sportrak Color models are not included because they have a different type of case.

It's never too late to add more posts. I'll do another summary in a few days. Thanks!

:D:D:ph34r::P:D

I received my SportsTrack Map for Christmas 2003. Was purchased a week or so earlier. The DC code is 3302. It has a bulge on the right side as you look at the screen next to the center screw and has a small crack on the left side. I am assuming that mine is out of warrenty, is someone doing something about this or are we all on our own.

Raggs

Well I have checked my unit over and over again, thinking that I must be missing the cracks. I have not found any cracks at this time. My date coded is 5102, interestingly, I purchased mine 5/03 from Costco (local price club) bundled with several goodies. I always use the window mount in the Jeep, so I am always snapping it in and out. I have been very pleased with the unit. It is troubling that Thales is aware of the problem but not offering some sort of exchange program for a certain serial number run. Anyway good work.

IT'S BACK!!! - I just got my Sportrak Map back - it only took 11 days (nine if you don't count weekends) for them to get it, repair it and send it back to me. The case looks perfect & even includes a new screen shield and the latest firmware update too & they didn't even "lose" my Streets & Destinations Map datum! This is so nice - there are no signs of any scratches, cracks or bulges at all. Thales even included a new set of manuals AND, best of all, a new car winshield mount for my unit. Talk about customer service! I don't care what anyone says, Thales has the best customer service I have ever encountered, and yes, I've encountered quite a few. If you have the cracks, i highly encourage you to send in your unit, you won't regret it and you'll be a lot happier with a nice new GPS in your pocket.

Sportrak Topo, purchased 2 weeks ago, date code 44/03. Bulges and discoloration on all 6 holes, but no cracks, yet. BTW, it's probably going back to Thales . . . it no workee, lost it's map :lol: . I'm waiting to hear from customer support. I'll ask them to replace the case while they're at it.

I bought my sportrak map in May of 2003 and I have two small cracks in the faceplate at the middle screw on each side.

Where do you find your DC code and how long has Thales Navigation been taking to get the units repaired and sent back?  :huh:

You will find the D/C by removing the battery compartment, and you will see a plate/sticker with the D/C on it.

Who knows how long Thales has known about this for sure, but I do know that GC.com people say they have been calling Thales about it for about a month.

Edited to directly answer the question :lol:

From what people have been posting, the turn around is one - two weeks. Nothing happens on the weekends, so this is actualy a realy good time frame.

Edited by Cherokeecacher

Purchased my SporTrak Pro in July 2003. Out of the box, it'd shut itself off after 1 to 10 minutes. Returned it to Thales, they "replaced the case". No cracks in the new case but one of the screws is about half out. I tried (gently) to snug up the screw but it won't go any further. Clearly, the new case is bad.

Happily, the original problem is fixed but it's a sloppy fix.

Owen