Calling All Sportrak Owners

I own a Sportrak with D/C 2903 since july 2004 and it's got the cracks on 5 out of 6 screws. It was bought in Sweden. I carry it around on a daily basis and use it quite a lot. It has not been dropped or anything like that.

Another thing is that I've managed to destroy the screw securing the battery compartment probably by screwing it to tight.

/j1

Edited by j1
I own a Sportrak with D/C 2903 since july 2004 and it's got the cracks on 5 out of 6 screws. It was bought in Sweden. I carry it around on a daily basis and use it quite a lot. It has not been dropped or anything like that.

Another thing is that I've managed to destroy the screw securing the battery compartment probably by screwing it to tight.

/j1

You should contact Magellan, it should be covered under the warranty, unless the warranty coverage is differant in Sweden

Found this thread after I got the dreaded "Initiating Map upload" message on my SporTrak Pro. Was on a 18 mile backpack outing with our Scout Troop, trying to show them how to use the GPS, and hoped to catch some caches that I knew were on the trail. The first few hours I couldn't get a satellite position. Phooey - passed the cache on the that portion. Worked the rest of Saturday, then Sunday went to use it on the second half, and my maps (and all my data apparently) is gone. I also have the cracks as mentioned in this thread! DC 3404. What a pain -- this is the 4th time my waypoints have been wiped out -- it'll be fine, then I'll go to use it, and there are no waypoints saved. Detailed maps are still there.

Grrr.... <_<

Steve

I read about the problems associated with the sportraks and I pulled mine (Sportrak Pro) out of the case after winter storage and sure enough, there were small cracks on each of the bottom 4 screws. I called the number for Magellan and was given a RA # and was told to ship it to the Tulsa OK service center. That was last week Monday, May 3rd 2004. I got notice via e-mail about the general progress (recieved shipped etc...). I recieved the unit back on May 12 2004. The unit I recieved back was not the same one that I shipped, as the serial numbers do not match. The one I shipped was s/n CH 035186 d/c 8302. The unit I recieved is s/n ch 018310 d/c 2202. Also included in the package was a windsheild mount, a belt mount case and a set of manuals.

The service was fast and the freebies are nice, I just wonder who will get my old unit and whose did I get???? I hope it doesn't develop any new problems, tho I do think the screws will crack again as I can already see kind of a pattern in the plastic, tho no new cracks have shown up yet. Maybe we can start a new kind of GPS game based on the unit serial numbers and track them across the country via Magellan service, kinda like a travel bug????

I guess we wait and see.

Good luck all

ksphotoguy

western kansas

The above post was my experience with the crack issue. The original Sportrak I had recieved directly from Magellan as a replacement for my old Trailblazer which was not Y2K capable. I still have the replacement sporttrak and have also purchased a Meridian Gold. Both units work great.

ksphotoguy :blink::blink::lol::lol::)