Calling All Sportrak Owners

I bought my Sportrack Map back in 2002 and my GPS has yet to fall apart, disintegrate, explode, or vaporize. Since then It has been dropped on rocks, dropped in creeks, thrown, sat in my car through the searing hot Texas summers, been in -9 degree weather up in Colorado. And yet through all this, the cracks have not spread much further than the depth of the screws.

After first reading about this problem, I opened mine up so that I could see how deep the cracks penetrated into the plastic. The cracks on my GPS Do not even go as deep as the screw holes. I have also tried to pry my GPS apart to see if the plastic will fail and it did not.

At this point I am not concerned with the cracks in my GPS. The only damage I see is aesthetical. The only reason I think that Magellan has not corrected this problem, is that they did not see it as a problem.

I still think Magellan is an excellent company and the SporTrak line is a reliable GPS. To this day, I still recommend SporTrek GPSrs to friends.

DC 3903 purchased 31 Jan 04.  No cracks yet, but I will keep looking.

:blink: Well add DC3903 to the units with cracks. No abuse, and we've had it in a case. Cracks like all the rest!

Just got the ST back from the UPS guy. Eleven day turn around with 2 weekends and the 4th of July slowing down the shipping process. I'm pretty pleased with that.

They replaced the case and included the windshield mount and new manuals. The paperwork indicates that there is a 90 day warranty or the remainder of the original, which ever is greater.

Well I,m going to try it out now.

Bought mine March, 2004. No cracks and don't expect any. Works wonderfully well. Now if I can only get the operator of the gps (me:) to improve his skills at finding those darn caches. This is a sport that I have a love/hate relationship with. Love the searching, hate not finding many...lol. I assume this will improve with time.

I have a SporTrak Topo......two months old. D/C 5203. It gets daily use and hard weekend use. Reading this post I have examined it and find stress marks, soon to be cracks in three of the 6 screws.

Has anyone tried to tally the results here yet? How many being reported and how often after purchase?

I'm very new. My family did a few caches last year, but then winter rolled around and we stopped. My dad had gotten a Magellan sportrak from a promotion through diner's club.

Well, the thing stopped working sometime this spring, so he went out and bought a new one. I took the old one in, loved it, re-initialized it, and laid claim. Mine.

I didn't know of this problem and just came browsing the fora, but it seems mine has the cracks, as well. Hardly noticeable if you're not looking for it, but they're there. Mostly on the middle two screws on both sides, and the very beginnings of them on the bottom screws on both sides.

D/C is 1203, however I haven't the foggiest when it was purchased or anything. "Sometime in Summer 2003" is as close as I can figure.

Hope this helps

~bubbles

I bought my ST Pro back in May of 2004 (D/C 0804). It has cracks visible to the naked eye on the two middle screws. Upon examination with a magnifying lens, I discovered small cracks in the case near all of the screws. Since I have only had it for 3 months I believe it was shipped to me in this condition. I bought the extended warranty, so I guess I will keep using it like this and hope for the best. Other than that I have been impressed it.

I just sent my SporTrak Map in for warranty; I don't know the date code on the original but it 'died' after getting caught out in a heavy rainfall - water probably entered thru the small cracks in the housing, which I remember noticing some time ago. The screen would occasionally fog up from the inside after being placed in the warm sun.

Today I received a 'new' (replacement) unit - quick turn-around from Bill's Electronics in Ontario; they seem to handle all Magellan's warranty and service issues here in Canada. The replacement unit looks like new (date code is 4103, so it may well be a refurbished unit, but the case appears to be brand new), but upon close inspection the NEW unit has bulges at the top and bottom screws on the left side, and already shows a very small crack (you can feel it with your fingernail) at the middle screw on the left side. This is going to be the unit I use while kayaking, so I'm not sure how long it's going to last in those wet conditions!

Had mine just over a year. Has two vivible cracks at middle screws. Also just had a new problem, it won't turn on right!!! when I turn it on I get an error message saying "there is no map data loaded, initiating map upload". My computer won't detect it so I can't update the firmware or hook it up to the mapsend software! I don't know what the prob is!

Had mine just over a year.  Has two vivible cracks at middle screws.  Also just had a new problem, it won't turn on right!!!  when I turn it on I get an error message saying "there is no map data loaded, initiating map upload".  My computer won't detect it so I can't update the firmware or hook it up to the mapsend software!  I don't know what the prob is!

For the “power problem, here are three places/resources you can try before sending it in to Magellan

1) generic Magellan group

2) another generic magellan group

If you do not get a "timely reply from the generic magellan groups try:

3) Meridian User Group on yahoo

I hope one of these gives you good results, allowing you to fix it yourself. :(

Had mine just over a year. Has two vivible cracks at middle screws. Also just had a new problem, it won't turn on right!!! when I turn it on I get an error message saying "there is no map data loaded, initiating map upload". My computer won't detect it so I can't update the firmware or hook it up to the mapsend software! I don't know what the prob is!

I had to send mine back for repair when that happened. However as another poster said, you can download the firmware from one of the yahoo groups and flash it yourself. I didn't bother as I found out too late (and I wanted the uk base map as i live here)

That's exactly what mine did when it died. I tried all the re-flashes and everything else I could find; nothing worked. So, I sent it back and they sent me a refurbished (although still cracked!) one.

I got my Sportrak pro around 1/1/2004. I saw that some people were having trouble with cracks around the 6 screws. I watched mine for the problem for a while and never noticed it. On Saturday I went riding on my ATV, I have a holder for my GPS on it, and got pretty muddy and dusty. When I got home I rinsed the dirt off from the unit and put in on my desk. The next day I was going hunting and when I tried to turn my unit on all I got was some lines. B) On further exam I found that I had not only cracks but 2 of the screw holes were completely broken leaving it possible for water to get in. I called Magellan and they gave me an RMA number and told me to send it in. They also told me that the cracking problem was on the older units and they have fixed the problem. My question is, have they fixed it or am I going to have the same trouble down the road? B)

Thanks

I got my Sportrak pro around 1/1/2004. I saw that some people were having trouble with cracks around the 6 screws. I watched mine for the problem for a while and never noticed it. On Saturday I went riding on my ATV, I have a holder for my GPS on it, and got pretty muddy and dusty. When I got home I rinsed the dirt off from the unit and put in on my desk. The next day I was going hunting and when I tried to turn my unit on all I got was some lines. B) On further exam I found that I had not only cracks but 2 of the screw holes were completely broken leaving it possible for water to get in. I called Magellan and they gave me an RMA number and told me to send it in. They also told me that the cracking problem was on the older units and they have fixed the problem. My question is, have they fixed it or am I going to have the same trouble down the road? B)

Thanks

I am not aware of any "fix", just a "repair". If you still have the unit, remove the battery compartment and check the date code (D/C), and check it against the date codes in this thread. It will look some thing like, “3503” this is the 35th week of 2003

Do not let them BS you around.

My code is 1502, purchased June, 2002. There are 3 hairline cracks, and more noticeably, the case has cracked completely through, originating from the screw for the battery compartment, extending to the rubberized section of the case. If this were cosmetic, I wouldn't be concerned, but now I am concerned about water resistance, and more importantly, the unit is spontaneously shutting off frequently, even when untouched and stationary. The shut-off timers are disengaged and the battery contacts are ok.

No cracks, but bulges at 3 screws. Bought my ST Pro 3/03. D/C 4702.

I will monitor. I'm with you, if this is a manufacturing defect (materials), they should address the problem w/o charge.

I am actually surfing through the posts on another topic regarding my unit. Perhaps I will find something, but will also note here.

I am finding that the battery compartment screw is going further to reach its "home" position than when it was new. This concerns me as much as the bulges do. I don't get into the threads very often, and if anyone has any information to enlighten me on this issue, I would be greatful for an e-mail (HankSpringer@aol.com).

I intend to e-mail Magellan on both issues. I prefer to think they care about their cutomers and will address in this manner unless they indicate otherwise.

Red Iguana

I had my SportTrak Map develop the infamous cracks. I emailed Magellan (the company not the deceased explorer) with my discovery, they responded with a cheery email with an Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA). I sent it in FedEx, they emailed me when they received it, emailed me when they finished repairing it, and sent it back FedEx. To be fair, the ol' GPSr had been used in all types of conditions, it had signs of normal wear. When I opened the box my GPSr looked like brand new, no cracks, no signs of any wear! They were also kind enough to load the latest flash and sent along a free windshield mount and a new manual! Pretty good service if you ask me (I know you didin't).

Our sporttrak map was purchase in Jan 04 from sams club. Date code is 3503. No visible cracks yet. I did strip out the retaining screw and nut for the battery compartment, I do believe it was my fault. Somehow the case got a nic in it causing the battery compartment to go in hard and I forced it in with the screw stripping it out. Ductape is holding the batteries in now. The unit has seen cold and hot temps.

More data for you. Our STM was purchased Dec of 2002. DC code is 4302. It has obvious distress marks at four screws. Two on each side (middle and lower screws). One screw location is cracked slightly along the screws length. We have used the device very little (11 caches in two years!). :D

Before bad mouthing the brand, why don't you try contacting Magellan first. I have had no problemswith my sort track. I think I bought it about a year ago.

As far as the 1 year warranty goes, those who have problem should contact Magellan anyway. they took care of one of my Meridian well after a year and it was for something I had done to my GPS, but they took care of it anyway. I spent 33+ years in the retail outdoors sports industry and as far as returns, I have never seen any company that has offered better service that Magellan. Now if you really want to get shafted by a company, buy any Ray Ban product and try to get warranty service, fast for them is about 10 months.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
My SporTrak Pro, bought in June of '03, now has hairline cracks near all the screws. DC is 4402. I suspect that the French, who own Magellan, will do nothing to correct the problem. This will be another thing on my Do Not Buy French items when it finally dies.

yes, please do not buy any more Magellan products! Oh, and do not worry toooooo much about the Americans that work for Magellan in California, and at the repair facility in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I am sure their families will understand why they got a pink slip. :blink:

Sorry I haven't posted in a while - quite a bit later than I should have. Several months ago I posted that Magellan had replaced my SporTrak Map with a Sportrak Pro - which was awesome! Then, my world fell apart when my Pro developed cracks too! I sent it in and they replaced it with a brand new Meridian Gold, including a new windshield mount! These guys rock! I have been told that the Sportrak Color uses a different case, and as such none have developed the cracks. I encouraged my mom to buy one at Costco - they are selling them for $200 right now - that's awesome for a color screen, barometer and a true 3-axis compass! Don't get discouraged - Magellan will take care of you!

That is true, the sport track color uses another case design. I have a meridian gold, sport tack color and a sport trak map. I like them all, I have not had a problem with cracks in my sport track map and I use it quite a bit. My Meridain lives on my dash now running direct route to get me to the area of the cache, then I use one of the sport tracks for the search.

Sporttrak Map - DC 0503

I've had it for about a week now, and just stumbled upon this thread. SLIGHT cracks near one of the middle screw points. Using it pretty much daily since I got it for caching.

Gonna keep an eye on it now, thanks!

On a positive note, I love this thing. First GPS, but it does everything I wanted and more.

Anyone know how to check present firmware level? Not sure if I need to update.

Just came across this thread -- new to geocaching. Bought Sportrak Map for hunting in Oct. 2004 with D/C 2804. Found cracks coming from 5 of 6 screw holes. Love the unit used it for 2 weeks of hunting and a few geocaches. Despite using it for hunting, I tend to take extra care with electronic items.

Edited by schubfam

I have a Sportrak Topo and do not see any signs of cracking, as yet. It has a D/C of 50/04 and I purchased it in January 05. I will keep an eye on it for future developments and keep the thread posted. this is the only topo that has been reported, if I didn't miss one. Possibly this problem does not exist on the newer units. Happy Caching.

FWIW (i.e. is anybody actually keeping track?):

SporTrak Map, purchased Aug. 04, date 1504, works like a charm (faaaaaar better than a Garmin Legend which may as well be turned off and in your pocket in the woods). No bulge, no cracks whatsoever. The few times I've contacted Magellan (for noobie questions), their customer service was first rate and over the top.