Ammo Cans

Pixie_Tracker

No kidding. Whoda guessed it? I mean Lincoln, Nebraska is a nice size place. Omaha has stores galore and that's about an hour away but we just don't get out there that often.

The other nice thing about the gun show turned out to be that this one guy was selling waterproof decontamination cannisters (about 2"x5"x4" or something thereabouts) for $1. He sold me 12 of them for $10 and they look like great little items for the larger micros I plan to set out. I've got two multis that I am working on where these are perfect. Both will end with an ammo can. One of them cannot be found until you have deciphered some "ancient texts" as it it based on an alchemy theme. Anyhow... I ramble... :)

After shipping the price comes out to $4.50 each. About $0.75 less than the local surplus store.

Actually, they are not $4.75:

4 .50 ammo cans ......... $12.97

std shipping .................. $5.99

heavy package surcharge $5.00

total............................. $23.96

or $5.99 each

Cheaper Then Dirt is about the same price too:

4 .50 ammo cans ......... $15.88

std shipping .................. $7.99

heavy package surcharge $0.00

total............................. $23.87

or $5.97 each

Still not bad considering most of my local places want anywhere from $8-$15(!) for one .50 can, plus tax.

I think in general, the smaller .30 cal/7.62 cans are just fine for caches, and it's really hard to beat Cheaper Then Dirt there:

6 .30 ammo cans ......... $19.97

total............................. $27.96

or $4.66 each

Otherwise for our town it's hard to get cans as there is no Army-Navy surplus store

Pixie: I noticed the other day that the paintball place on 33rd Street between Holdrege and Vine (at about Apple Street, where Schaffer's used to be) Had a sign saying that they have military surplus. I have been meaning to check in and see if they have cans, but keep forgetting. The Ace Hardware on about 40th and Vine also had a whole pallet of .50 cal cans for $4.99 each last summer. They don't have any now though.

I just bought a bunch from cheaper than dirt.

Edited by carleenp

Carleen,

We'll have to checkout the paintball place too! I called Ace Hardware about two weeks ago because I remembered reading on some post that they occassionally carry them. The guy said they get them in the summer but they never know ahead of time if they will get any for the upcoming year and when they do, they go pretty fast since they are moderately priced.

Stay warm in our deep freeze! (wishing I was in SanFran again this week)

Edited by Pixie_Tracker
After shipping the price comes out to $4.50 each. About $0.75 less than the local surplus store.

Actually, they are not $4.75:

4 .50 ammo cans ......... $12.97

std shipping .................. $5.99

heavy package surcharge $5.00

total............................. $23.96

or $5.99 each

Cheaper Then Dirt is about the same price too:

4 .50 ammo cans ......... $15.88

total............................. $23.87

or $5.97 each

Still not bad considering most of my local places want anywhere from $8-$15(!) for one .50 can, plus tax.

I think in general, the smaller .30 cal/7.62 cans are just fine for caches, and it's really hard to beat Cheaper Then Dirt there:

6 .30 ammo cans ......... $19.97

total............................. $27.96

or $4.66 each

LOL...I was just about to post with the exact same calculations that I got. I was also going to suggest CheaperthanDirt's 6-pack of .30 ammo cans.

For caches, I agree that the .30 ammon cans are more than adequate. FWIW.