Hail! To The Programmers

embra

I started to write this in the GSAK thread, but was afraid that it might not be seen by all those to whom I would like to direct it.

I feel moved to offer broad thanks to all the programmers who have spent considerable time and effort to develop these fantastic tools. In addition to being extremely useful, these creations are made available to us for little or no cost.

I would guess that many of you were originally inspired to write code that fulfilled a personal need in your GPSr use, but at some point you decided to share the tool and provide enough support for others to be able to use it effectively. You have enhanced the enjoyment of many.

Every once in a while I remember that I am grateful for your efforts and generosity. I made a New Year's resolution that if I had something nice to say to someone, I wouldn't squash it because it was too much work to express it...so here you are: thank you! :)

ABSOLUTELY!!

Thanks to all for your hard work. There are so many choices now that everyone should be able to find a great tool to make caching even more fun!

Thanks also to the people who 1) figured out how to make technology work together (paperless caching w/ PDAs) and 2) take the time to patiently explain (often over and over) how to make the magic work.

If you use these wonderful tools, please take the time not only to thank the developers and "tutors" publically here, but send them an e-mail and let them know personally that you appreciate what they do. I'm sure they would appreciate it.

:P Shameless Plug :)

GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) is in release 2.00 beta, and Clyde has really got this thing going! With it and Plucker to get it on your PDA, you are set. It even sends your waypoints to the GPSr now (both Magellan and Garmin). :) !!

Since I assume I'm on that list, I'll say "you're welcome".

Could I encourage more of you that find a free tool helpful that you're comfortable with to join the respective mailing lists and forums and help with the Q&A? I've talked to several authors of free software in this crowd and most of us are suprised at how many users we have, but how few are willing to spend a few minutes answering a question for someone else, testing a prerelease, helping out with the doc, or whatever. Hint: every minute the project lead doesn't spend answering a question is an extra minute of development. I'll testify that those minutes add up.

There are lots of way you can help make free software even if you aren't a programmer.

I won't presume to say "you're welcome" as I'm sure most people would rather have something better than my code. ;)

Hail to the programmer!

programmer programmer!

Hail to the programmer!

programmer man!

They all wear thick glasses

and sit on their a**es

Hail to the programmer!

programmer man!

[chorus]

They all do the Dew

and hate OS/2

Hail to the programmer!

programmer man!

[chorus]

They drink too much coffee

their comments are sloppy

Hail to the programmer!

programmer man!

[chorus]

I won't presume to say "you're welcome" as I'm sure most people would rather have something better than my code. ;)

Hail to the programmer!

programmer programmer!

Hail to the programmer!

programmer man!

I most certainly had you in mind, too, Ron. BMGPX is an indispensible link in my data flow.

Is there a known tune to that ditty? Quite apropos.

I also want to thank Clyde, Fabien and Robert for writting great programs, and not only for writting great programs, but always being there when you need help, I also want to thank Rosco Bookbinder for hanging in there with me when I needed help, you guys are the greatest.

Thanks again

Jim W

KD6EO

Could I encourage more of you that find a free tool helpful that you're comfortable with to join the respective mailing lists and forums and help with the Q&A? I've talked to several authors of free software in this crowd and most of us are suprised at how many users we have, but how few are willing to spend a few minutes answering a question for someone else, testing a prerelease, helping out with the doc, or whatever. Hint: every minute the project lead doesn't spend answering a question is an extra minute of development. I'll testify that those minutes add up.

robertlipe,

I think that most the people wouldnt mind joining list like you talked about, but I think that most people like myself have gotten gun shy because or lists getting sold for money to spam lists. But I am not to concerned with the programmers here. Thanks for the Hard work.

Here's to you Real Men Of Genius ;)

Haywyre

Hint: every minute the project lead doesn't spend answering a question is an extra minute of development.  I'll testify that those minutes add up.

Amen to that.

As far as mailing lists being sold, that's one reason to check privacy policies when they're available. I can't see myself or any of the others that write caching software lowering ourselves that much, though ;)

Just saw this thread...

As a fellow programmer myself, I know what it feels like. Freeware is no easy chore- providing everything for nothing and supporting it at a moments notice too. To all those who are doing so, a big thank you is in order, for you've made life for the rest of us easier. After all, I don't have to write the tools for myself since they've already been written by y'all :rolleyes: !