Champoeg, Kids Planning Thread

Wander Lost

I've been talking with Mrs. FOF about some ideas for kids at the Champoeg event. Since not everyone will be interested in that over in the main thread I'm starting this one.

Last year Fathergoose planned a scavenger hunt, but having just read his news over in the pdxgeocaching forums, I doubt he'll be able to plan that again this year. :lol:

So, lets plan some cool things for the kids to do while the adults are behaving like children. :(

Edited by Wander Lost

My kids have moved out but I found that a 6 pack of beer usually kept them quiet.

Lawn Darts? Archery? Dirt clod wars?

Actually a scavenger hunt is something I'll bet the kids really enjoy. Or maybe a simple treasure hunt. When I teach kids scuba I'll hide easter egg type of containers with a number inside. After getting the eggs with numbers they then match them up to little prizes. It might be easier on the surface of course for non divers. :lol:

:) LB , Thanks for volunteering to speer head this operation of a scavenger hunt (easter egg hunt) with the kids!!! That is so nice. I know they'll love that! :)

I was thinking a parade also for the kids would be fun. Where they can decorate their bikes, roller skates, dogs, etc.... and parade through loop A. I know last year almost all the kids had some sort of "wheels" or animal they could decorate to show off.

Does anyone have a badmittion net? We could set it up and do "volleyball" with the kids. We could use balloons filled with water and partner the kids up with a towel (partners each hold the ends of the towel). And they have to use the towel to "toss" the balloon back over the net. We have played this game as an adult and it is fun and you get totally soaked with water.

Amy of FoF

If we get enough participation I'd like to have a full day schedule planned out for the kids. We can have parents take shifts, watching over the kiddies. That way the kids have a fun day planned out for them and the adults can participate in some of the day's activities as well.

I do love the idea of the parade. That can be something they work on during the day and then have the parade for the adults during a break in the hostilities.

You are right I most likely won’t be able to organize anything, but the parade sounds cool. Will there be an age limit? Never mind I’m no to good on a bike. Another Idea is the Junior Ranger program. Most state parks have one and they all earn a badge at the end. You may want to check with the park to ensure they have enough badges.

Badges we don’t need no stinking badges

I'll bring some art supplies, does anyone have a supply of half used up rolls of streamers? For decorations for the parade. We should find a way to offer prizes for the parade and make sure we have something for each kid.

I think I have orange and black streamers left over from Blood Bath and Beyond! ;)

Hey, here's an idea: let's make the little ones pull ivy! Nah, just kidding!

Hey, the parade is a great idea though. That would be a Kodak moment for proud parents. Pick a parade leader(s), have a kid carry his boombox playing parade music? A ribbon or certificate or prize for each kid. Maybe have leader(s) carrying a sign about "geocacaching kids' parade" or something? No kids ourselves, just a couple thoughts...

--laurak

Parade ideas:

fun foam is great for making hat (could create at home before champoeg).

love the idea about the parade sign. Maybe some can bring some poster board and the kids can decorate it.

Maybe they can bang pots and pans! ;) For the music part....wake up the sleepy heads.

Any idea of how many kids will be at Champoeg this year?

WanderLost-2 kids

us-3 kids

Amy

The parade sounds awesome! Other kiddy ideas could be..

a nature hike through parts of the park,

a visit to the Champoeg museum (I KNOW they have stuff there for the kids).

a game of hide n seek or kick the can.

at night, ghost stories or a good ol "snipe" hunt. ;)

show and tell session? Every kid brings something they think is "cool"?

Bring a TV and Xbox and leave em for the day. :)

Wow, what great ideas! The older, bored teens could even hide a cache for whomever is able to wake up before 2:00 (pm) Sunday, adults. They are pretty crafty and evil when given the chance! Just think hide it in the villa/yurtville, and give 'em a wake up call like no other! Hmm, in? or under? A micro in their gazillion outdoor lighting strands? High up a tree? Seriously, I am glad you opened this thread and hope the kids do not have more fun than us! Some teens may even enjoy helping out with the kid events...ya never know, sitters for hire? We plan on one 11yr old being there with us, he is a cross between doing adult stuff or kid stuff, can't predict him. Sound like great fun, if I can get away from the adult kids, I (shotgun's other half) may come join you, and lend a helping hand. I am first aid trained/cleared all the "safe" adult qualifications for youth organizations and school

help, and quite good at those nature walks if needed. Can't ride a trike anymore tho' and don't do diapers :>. Maybe we'll connect when we get there..stop by and say hi, Family of foxes./wanderlost, and any others...

All in all, just having fun, we are mature responsible folks and will act reasonably at all times. I think when you meet us you will find it is just "forum chat fun" and we are fine people. Not to worry!

We met Shotgun, Peashooter and Zoom last weekend and can vouch for 'em... yeah, they be good folks! Nobody wants to risk our relationship with the parks, only with the yurt folks! ;) We're all just havin' fun talkin' about it...

I've been talking with Mrs. FOF about some ideas for kids at the Champoeg event.  Since not everyone will be interested in that over in the main thread I'm starting this one.

Last year Fathergoose planned a scavenger hunt, but having just read his news over in the pdxgeocaching forums, I doubt he'll be able to plan that again this year.  :rolleyes:

So, lets plan some cool things for the kids to do while the adults are behaving like children.  <_<

I checked the Park web site and I want to be a Junior Ranger.

Weekend summer programs (late June through Labor Day)

Historic Manson Farmstead tour

Historic old Champoeg townsite tour

Nature walks

Bicycle tours

Junior Ranger programs for the kids

Nature and/or historic programs, held evenings in the campground, and open to the public

Other summer programs

Group tours and special programs available upon request, subject to staff availability.

Visitor Center museum and video programs free to the public.

Daughters of the American Revolution Mothers Memorial Cabin and Robert

Newell House tours available. Contact the cabin at (503) 633-2237 and

the Newell House at (503) 678-5537 for information about fees and group

reservations.

I (shotgun's other half) may come join you, and lend a helping hand. I am first aid trained/cleared all the "safe" adult qualifications for youth organizations and school

help, and quite good at those nature walks if needed. Can't ride a trike anymore tho' and don't do diapers :>. Maybe we'll connect when we get there..stop by and say hi, Family of foxes./wanderlost, and any others...

Yes, please stop by and say "hi!" Looking forward to meeting you!

You mentioned you can't ride a trike anymore and that reminded me about Jay riding a trike for a contest. It was something their reserve unit (Navy) did to raise money for a charity. Grown men racing trikes. Very funny sight. ;)

Amy :D

Edited by Family O Foxes