Garmin 60c

Regarding your second question about how far you can get down the road- the city select data depends, as you would expect, on the density of the data for a given area. For example, the San Francisco area takes 9.48 MB, but 9 MB will also store the entire state of Wyoming. I have a 64MB card in my GPSMap 196 and I keep all of MO, IL, and WI on it along with selected parts of KY, FL, and AL.

This is info on the base map on the garmin legend and other garmin models. I don't know for sure, but I would think the 60c base map to be on the same lines as this base map.

"A. United States -In addition to the standard map coverage, it also includes:

Small lakes, major streams, and rivers

Railroads

National- and State-level roads

Many local roads in or near urban areas

More detailed coastline

Airports

A database of exits for the Federal Interstate highway system. This includes many businesses within about ¼ mile of the exit, including: restaurants, diesel/gas, hotels/lodging, overnight RV parking, dumps, campgrounds, truckstops, medical facilities, shopping and outlet malls, ATMs, and many more attractions.

Tide Stations (certain units only)"

Hope this helps,

Mike

You don't have an 8 meg basemap. You have 8 meg of available memory in which you can upload additional map data.

I thought the size of the basemap was also 8 megs, but anyway, it does come preinstalled with exit information. As taken from the garmin site:

A database of exits for the Federal Interstate highway system. This includes many businesses within about ¼ mile of the exit, including: restaurants, diesel/gas, hotels/lodging, overnight RV parking, dumps, campgrounds, truckstops, medical facilities, shopping and outlet malls, ATMs, and many more attractions. Tide Stations (certain units only)

The GPS V does not have POI on the basemap.

You need to load City Select (or Metroguide) to get both city streets and POI.

Expect the GPSmap 60c to be similar to most other Garmins in it's mapping (except that mapping is not included in the package like it is with a GPS V).

Edited by BurnieM

Volwrath is correct that the basemap on the Legend and other Garmins does include 'exit services'. These are not the same as the POIs that you get with the detailed maps like City Select/Nav or MetroGuide. They only indicate some businesses that are located near an interstate hwy. exit and which side of the exit they're on - no exact location on the map, no phone number, no address, etc. which would all be part of the detailed map POIs. A few non-interstate freeways are also included, but not all. In California I can get information on exit services on Hwy. 99, but not on 101 even though both have long sections where they are limited-access freeways.

I have found the Exit Services (and Rest Stops) feature to be handy for cross-country driving but would still recommend getting detailed downloadable maps like City Select-NA or MG-USA, v4 for the 60c/cs.