Hardcore Caching

wimseyguy

Check out this log entry the Z-Man left at one of my caches:

Found this cache during my January 11th to 23rd Geotrip.

(#x find of the day/#x find of the trip/#x total finds)

Drove 3,987 miles in 13 days through the following 19 states:

NY-NJ-PA-MD-WV-VA-TN-MO-AR-KS-OK-TX-LA-MS-AL-GA-SC-NC-DE.

Found 73 caches ending the Geotrip with my 400th find.

I also introduced Terri, my daughter in NC, and her family of four to Geocaching.

Jim, my son-in-law, found nine caches on his first day. The trip was a real blast.

His profile indicates that this is his normal MO! :lol:

That's so cool! I WISH I could do something like that...but work keeps me close to home. On my weekends, I will drive farther but I still couldn't take off for 13 days. But my vacation is coming up and I am planning a road trip. At least I can still do mega caching on vacation. It's better than not at all I guess. :lol:

I did close to 60 in 35 days in Tx, NM, AZ, NV, and Ca. (Over 5k driving.) I met quite a few cachers along the way at 2 events. I busted 100 finds on the trip too.

I also took Tilly and Toby from 17th to the lead, in the TB cannonball run. That was a bonus. I completed several other bugs goals on that trip too.

Sn :lol::( gans

Edited by Snoogans

On our excellent caching trip(disguised as a vacation) we logged 132 caches in 13 days. 9 states total. Took US Route 20 from the Chicago area to Boise Idaho then back thru Utah and back across to home. It was great to take it easy and cache along the route rather than blast thru on the interstate as usual. Don't know if I'd call it hardcore, we just hit them as they came up along the route.

We also hit one of the original caches - Arikaree - GC31 - in a very remote part of Kansas.

That's so cool! I WISH I could do something like that...but work keeps me close to home. On my weekends, I will drive farther but I still couldn't take off for 13 days. But my vacation is coming up and I am planning a road trip. At least I can still do mega caching on vacation. It's better than not at all I guess. :lol:

He's retired. His new job is geocaching.

That's so cool! I WISH I could do something like that...but work keeps me close to home. On my weekends, I will drive farther but I still couldn't take off for 13 days. But my vacation is coming up and I am planning a road trip. At least I can still do mega caching on vacation. It's better than not at all I guess.  :lol:

I need to check my retirement plan :(

That's so cool! I WISH I could do something like that...but work keeps me close to home. On my weekends, I will drive farther but I still couldn't take off for 13 days. But my vacation is coming up and I am planning a road trip. At least I can still do mega caching on vacation. It's better than not at all I guess.  :lol:

I have 7 more years if all goes as planned.

Road trip?!

If you're looking to rack up numbers *and* get to know a city, buy a cheap airline ticket to a large US metro area. Preferrably one you don't live in. :lol:

For example, in a 3 day weekend in Nashville I bet could easily get 100 caches.

It becomes a "road trip" once you pick up the rental car!

I did 108 in Nashville over a 3-day period last month (including a high of 53 one of the days), and 2 of those 3 days were "partial" days due to bad weather one day and illness cutting me short the other. With no ego intended, I know I could have done at least 150 those 3 days if they were full days, and maybe even 200 or more if I'd had a partner and/or had daylight savings time (since so many are drive-bys - one could drive while the other jumps out and grabs). In Cacheville it really can be done with a bit of planning and if you stay totally focused...I know folks who have done it.

Having said that, I can report that while I went through some interesting parts of town (and also some not-so-interesting), my trip to/through Cacheville was strictly a "numbers run", I readily admit it.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Edited by drat19

I have 7 more years if all goes as planned.

In 29 years it will be smooth sailing for me. By then will have to be caching on Mars you would think :D

Wow

The Misses and I have driven accross country 2 times now.

NEVER a straight line either.

A few years ago we drove to Cape Code for 7 months. Of course

we had to see and do all. Man, if I only knew of GoeCaching then.

This past Oct. we drove to Mi. for our sons Wedding.... And again

on the way to and fro we rock hunted,,,,, Hmmmmm GoeCaching!

Though we found some wonderous caves and spots a cache would

of been, had we known. But this summer we are "driving" back to

visit, and onto the East Coast........

The wife hasn't been in the lower east coast so we will more then likely

hit Va. N.C, S.C, Kn, GO. and florida.

Man what a concept!!!!!!!!!! GeoCaching your way accross America and

seeing all the cool sites OFF the beaten path......

I would rather move TBs accross country then collecting more rocks

for our yard.....

If you're looking to rack up numbers *and* get to know a city, buy a cheap airline ticket to a large US metro area. Preferrably one you don't live in. 

It becomes a "road trip" once you pick up the rental car!

I have thought about doing something like this. Watch for an airfare sale and take a caching weekend somewhere. Could be a fun way to visit a place that I might otherwise never visit. I get notices of cheap fares every week for the upcoming weekend. I should just plan sometime to take the cheapest one on a specific weekend and see where I end up. It could be interesting!

Southwest frequently offers low fares. Sometimes as low as $19 one way to Phoenix (from Albuquerque) or $59 to San Diego

They have some great fares out of Omaha too. I also get cheap weekend fare notices from American Airlines since I have frequent flier miles with them. Once in awhile something ridiculously cheap pops up. But there is only a few days notice with those! I got really tempted the last time I saw a $100 round trip to Florida.

When we go camping, geocaching is always part of the equation. I haven't done that kind of hardcore caching, nor would I in the near future as long as my youngest continues to camp. He barely tolerates geocaching as it is and if I were to do something like that, it would probably turn him off of the sport. :)

But, in a week of camping, we'll probably bag 10 to 12 caches. I'm starting my research now as we're going to be camping up in Lassen National Park this summer, so the area around Reno, NV and other places northwest will be the prime searching areas this time around. We'll probably do some more eastern Sierra caching too.

Geez, ya'll are depressing me...

When we travel, my wife gets the "gotta get there" mentality, and any sightseeing stops are a waste of time. Rush, rush, rush. Makes Hulk angry.

And at this pay rate and whopping TWO weeks vacation (I've been here 7 years), I'll never be able to retire!

:) It's great to see that others can enjoy this type of traveling. I'm jealous. I rarely even take off two days in a week and never back to back unless I can call it a business trip. But that's the price of owning a restaurant; which I love.:P I had a trip to a trade show in Myrtle Beach planned for this week but got iced out. :)

We do manage one decent 10-15 day vacation a year though and I get to tie a little caching into the agenda. Shadowgal doesn't get the thrill of the hunt/find that I do. This year we're off to Italy. I can't do a full hardcore day- but will manage to find a few along the route I'm sure. I also added a day for Me to our MA/VT ski trip next month. Pioneer Valley caches here I come! :)

:) My wife and I took the recent 3 day weekend, flew to Phoenix and got a rental car. We cached in Phoenix and then drove up the hiway to the Grand Canyon. I'd plotted a lot of caches along the way and over the three day weekend, we found 23 caches without pushing hard. 14 were traditionals, while the remaining 9 were virts. Probably the most interesting was a virt in downtown Phoenix that contained a lot of dressed up bronze statues.
Southwest frequently offers low fares. Sometimes as low as $19 one way to Phoenix (from Albuquerque) or $59 to San Diego

hey, even i (the jobless and carless teenager) could afford that. Lets see, I could ride my bike the 150 someodd miles to phoenix sky harbor international airpot, picking up the few caches along the highway on the way there and the many urban micros I'd be bound to pass going throught the city, get on plane with bike as luggage, fly to NM cache from bike and do the opposite to get home. That would make a nice weeklong trip. Hey Saxman, how good is the cache density in the area? If I could find a week with a swim meet and a bike race there I could be killing 3 birds with one stone.

hey, even i (the jobless and carless teenager) could afford that. Lets see, I could ride my bike the 150 someodd miles to phoenix sky harbor international airpot, picking up the few caches along the highway on the way there and the many urban micros I'd be bound to pass going throught the city, get on plane with bike as luggage, fly to NM cache from bike and do the opposite to get home. That would make a nice weeklong trip. Hey Saxman, how good is the cache density in the area? If I could find a week with a swim meet and a bike race there I could be killing 3 birds with one stone.

There are plenty of caches in downtown Albuquerque (that I've found) and also in Rio Rancho (that I hid). For the visitor, there are plenty of caches to find. For those of us that live here there anren't nearly enough.

From here (MD), we're going on a straight path to Kentucky, obviously stopping in each state along the way at least once, and plan to do as much caching as possible. This however means needing access to a computer. We SHOULD be able to bring my sister's laptop, but not sure about getting online (let's hope all the hotels have internet access). We're going mainly to see Mammoth Caves National Park, so maybe we'll hide one around that area. Can't wait :)