Quick Way To Search Within Locationless Logs?

GrnXnham

Okay, I would like to do more of the locationless caches, but having to search through more than 500 logs to make sure I am not duplicating a previous find is rather tedious and time consuming. For example, lets say I am looking for a pink elephant statue for a pink elephant statue locationless cache. (not real just example) Nearly all the locationless caches stipulate that each location can only be logged once--in other words only one log per pink elephant statue.

Is there a faster way to do a search through the existing logs to find if your pink elephant statue has been logged already? Coordinates are never exactly the same when logging these locationless caches. Even if you are trying to log a pink elephant statue that has been logged before, chances are the previous finder logged slightly different coordinates than you. Any quick way of searching here or does everyone just spend tons of time searching through all of the old logs?

Thanks

Dave

I had this problem on a few locationless I did. I used the "find (on this page)" command, under the Edit drop down. Use that to lock down anything from its name to its location. Example if you wanted to see if someone logged a pink elephant statue in Chicago, you could put in "chicago" and it'll just zero in on those. Or let's say you want to see if the legenardy Pink Elephant Statue of Prince Ackbar was logged, try putting in something like "prince ackbar". You get the idea.

Even better for searching:

I found a water tower (actually two in the same day, pretty odd for the southwest)

My coordinates were N34 something, W106 something. Well, N34 goes through other cities, but the only large city W106 goes through is Albuquerque (where I live).

I clicked "show all logs", then I did a "find (on this page)" for "W 106". At each spot that was highlighted, I checked for N34. If I found one, I would look at the next 2 digits of the coords, then the three digits after the decimal.

It turns out neither water tower had been logged, so I picked the one I had the better picture of.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

You can also use LocLess2Loc to extract the coordinates from the page.

You can use GPS Visualizer to show a map with all waypoints in the loc file on it.

LocLess2Loc is also part of CacheMaps. If you start it from CacheMaps, it directly gives you the opportunity to view maps for the caches or directly go into the logfile to view the log for a specific coordinate.

By using maps, you can easily identify if the location you want to log is not logged yet by someone else.

Finally, you can always download the latest version of LocLess2Loc from the CacheMaps download site. :rolleyes:

Be sure you hit the "show all logs" button before using your browsers "find" function that was suggested in the first reply.

Using the find function is good for if you are planning on going after a locationless cache, but you don't know the coordinates before going out and finding it. (example:You may know there is a castle at a certain location, but you don't know the coords. So, you enter Virginia and you will get all castles logged in VA)

The only bad thing about using the find function is that not everyone puts the name of the state in their log. Or some logs have the name and some have the two-letter state abbreviation. I usually check both ways, but VA pulls up a whole lot of other words too!

Cacheola Crew Mom

Edited by Cacheola Crew