Mapping Software

MtnGoat50

I have a Garmin etrex Legend that I plan to use skiing, mountain biking and hiking. I want to be able to record my trips on the GPS and transfer them to a topo map that I can print out. I've looked at the ExpertGPS software which appears to do what I want. Is this the way to go? Is there another software package I should look at? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

While I'm sure others will mention their favorite applications, I'll chime in as a very satisfied ExpertGPS user. Dan is constantly working on adding new features based on users' suggestions, and the few times I've actually needed "support", the service has been excellent.

This application will definitely do what you want to do and more.

I use ExpertGPS, but the topographical maps are scanned and not terrific. The are good enough for me, though. The aerial photos are what I use, mostly, as that is where a lot of my training lies.

If you really want high-quality Topo maps you can download tracks or waypoints to, you might consider the National Geographic TOPO! software. It is pricey ($100/state) but I use mine to download tracks and points, to print and update USGS Topographical maps from.

[Note to all: The USGS wants all their volunteers with handheld recreational GPSrs to make themselves known, as they now want us to go out and locate various landmark structures. (Arenas, town halls, silos [grain I guess!], police stations, and on and on. the list is an entire page long.) They are using Nad 83, dd.ddddd ]

Edited by DustyJacket

I've got USAPhotoMaps, which uses both USGS Topo maps and Terraserver satellite photos, both georeferenced. Can also display contour lines superimposed over the sat photos. It downloads waypoints, routes and tracks from the GPSr, and if you click on the map it will ask you to name a waypoint which you can then upload back to the GPSr. I tested it by clicking on a buddy's driveway on a photo, then let the GPS take me there. It was right on. BTW, the program is available at no charge.... but is certainly worth a donation, IMO.

http://www.jdmcox.com/

I also use USAPhotoMaps for caching, but for serious hiking trips I use USGS DRG's which have much better resolution than those from USAPhotoMaps and ExpertGPS. They are freely available for many states including Washington if that's where your interested in. You can get them here. You can use them with programs such as Oziexplorer, GarTrip, Fugawi and others. I just printed some out using GarTrip for a trip to Utah's Wasatch Range and they are much sharper looking than ones using USAPhotoMaps, but I also used that program for some aerial printouts.