Gps Units And Software Forum Cluttered

-=(GEO)=-

While we're at it, let's split the hardware forums so I don't have to read about the Magellan owers trying to figure out their units.

Good idea. Instead of "GPS Units and Software" we could have:

• Garmin
  • Magellan
  • Other GPS Units
  • Software - Garmin
  • Software - Magellan
  • Software - for non-Garmin or non-Magellan units
  • Software - General

I'm sure we could split it even further. I wonder how many the "Geocaching Topics" could be split into... :lol:

Certainly 95% of the posts in that area are not related to MapSource or Mapsend.

Of the 50 topics on the first page, 2 were directly related to MapSend. None were related to MapSource. If we assume that this is a fairly representative sample, 96% of topics in this forum area are not related to Mapsend/MapSource software.

That being said, would it matter if the hypothetical problem was addressed in the GPS or software forum?

While we're at it, let's split the hardware forums so I don't have to read about the Magellan owers trying to figure out their units.

• Garmin
  • Paperweights
  • Software - Garmin
  • Software - How to Make Origami
  • How to buy the right GPS and not a Magellan

I'm sure we could split it even further. I wonder how many the "Geocaching Topics" could be split into... :(

Yeah....I like that list! :lol:

•  
  • Garmin

• Paperweights

• Software - Garmin

• Software - How to Make Origami

• How to buy the right GPS and not a Magellan

I'm sure we could split it even further. I wonder how many the "Geocaching Topics" could be split into... :(

Yeah....I like that list! :lol:

I hope you're this funny in person. I won't need to plan anything for my event cache except "Sparky at the Mic" :D

•  
  • Garmin

• Magellan

• Other GPS Units

• Software - Garmin

• Software - Magellan

• Software - for non-Garmin or non-Magellan units

• Software - General

I'm sure we could split it even further. I wonder how many the "Geocaching Topics" could be split into... :lol:

You forgot

• Palm
  • software - Palm
  • Pocket PC
  • software - Pocket PC

Edited by Laserman

fivegallon...

Yep,and when your Magellan isn't talking to your Mapsend,where you gonna post?

Just pick one. My choice would be the hardware forum for communication issues like that.

GeckoGeek...

Yes, let's also have you as the moderator of the Smart @ss forum :)

Yes, let's also have you as the moderator of the Smart @ss forum :rolleyes:

Ahhhh. Sarcasm misses it mark. Seriously, while there are some subjects that are clearly hardware, the usual situations is someone with a question or problem and the answer could lie in either hardware or software. While I would love to be able to skip over the threads about Magellan hardware, the fact is we do have enough in common (batteries, signal issues, etc) that we'd loose something if we were divided along those lines.

Likewise splitting the software/hardware forums is likely to create duplication. For me, if the forums split, I'd end up having to be in two forums, not one. So it really wouldn't benefit me. How many out there are ONLY interested in hardware or ONLY software? Likewise how many are into both?

I think splitting is good, but not along the hardware-software line. I think both the pros and the cons about splitting can be syntesized if the splitting is as follows:

Garmin and software for Garmin units

Magellan and software for Magellan units

Palm Pilots and software for Palm Pilots

PPCs and software for PPCs

Macs and software for Macs

General

An average cacher might be interested in three out of these 6 forums, and thereby filter out half of the threads.

It makes as much sense as the splitting of the general forum into regional forums, to which nobody is objecting either, I believe.

Garmin and software for Garmin units

Magellan and software for Magellan units

Palm Pilots and software for Palm Pilots

PPCs and software for PPCs

Macs and software for Macs

General

A discussion on CacheMate could be held in 4 of those forums since it runs on a Palm and supports loading onto Magellans and Garmins.

USAPhotoMap is also a "General" software that supports both major GPS units.

GSAK is going the same route.

How about this:

Garmin GPS & OEM software

Magellan GPS & OEM software

Desktop/Laptop software (Other then Garmin/Magellan)

PDA software/Paperless cacheing

I think that would split things up without loosing too much synergy.

I left the PC and Mac together because some products are ported to both. I'm not sure as there is enough Mac software to have it's own forum. I left Palm and PPC together even though they have nothing in common just to keep from splitting to many different ways.

The problem is when talking about mapping since that would cross-over into 3-4 different forums.

GeckoGeek...

Garmin GPS & OEM software

Magellan GPS & OEM software

Desktop/Laptop software (Non-OEM)

PDA software/Paperless Caching

That's the kind of thing that I had in mind. I'd add one more category:

'Other GPS & OEM software'

I don't believe it needs to be broken down much more than that.

Regarding topics that cross over multiple categories (such as batteries, signal issues, etc.): it's simple enough for the original poster to create a link to the main topic wherever applicable.

Regards,

Fabien.

How about splitting it like this:

1. GPS units and GPS software forum

(This category would include the hardware, and mapping software, and perhaps other non geocaching related GPS software- I really don't think ther is a need to subcategorize into different manufacturers)

2. Geocaching software forum

(this category would include all the GPX type software that is more geocaching related- Watcher, GSAK, cachemate, GPXsonar, etc)

Of course there will be some overlap with mapping software, since you use mapping software for Geocaching, but I think this might be a feasable way to separate the two. Having 12 different forums for each make/model/OS/platform is way too complicated in my opinion.

Stuey...

Why don't we leave it as it is ?

IMO, with the increased activity in the forums since the holidays, things have become too chaotic: posts just go out of scope too fast. I'm don't know how much time you spend in there but if you do you'll notice what I'm talking about quickly.

At this point, any 'amount' of splitting would help...

Regards,

Fabien.