Now, I May Just Be Paranoid...

joefrog

... but wouldn't some of the locationless caches be a keen little terrorist database? I mean, we tell them coords of each and every armory, each airport...

:lol:

So far as I know terrorists don't het have ICBM's which is the only delivery system that could make use of coordinates alone. Everhthing else they have at their disposal involves smuggling something into the coutnry or building something here and in both cases they would just drive to the target and a regular map of how to get there would work better.

... but wouldn't some of the locationless caches be a keen little terrorist database? I mean, we tell them coords of each and every armory, each airport...

No, you're not a little paranoid. You're a great deal paranoid.

It's like I tell the people who think I'm a terrorist when they see me with a GPSr, "If I wanted to give the location of this rock pile to a terrorist, I could just as easily give directions."

... but wouldn't some of the locationless caches be a keen little terrorist database?  I mean, we tell them coords of each and every armory, each airport...

No, you're not a little paranoid. You're a great deal paranoid.

It's like I tell the people who think I'm a terrorist when they see me with a GPSr, "If I wanted to give the location of this rock pile to a terrorist, I could just as easily give directions."

Okay, but just don't give away the coords to my bomb shelter........

So far as I know terrorists don't het have ICBM's which is the only delivery system that could make use of coordinates alone. Everhthing else they have at their disposal involves smuggling something into the coutnry or building something here and in both cases they would just drive to the target and a regular map of how to get there would work better.

Not that I disagree with what you are saying, but I'm wondering when a GPS will be used instead of a timer to trigger a bomb? Not all terrorists are bent on suicide and being a long ways away from the "action" is a good idea for anyone with an ounce of survival instinct - but if the goal is to blow something up at a certain place then a GPS trigger is a good way to do it.

But for the discussion at hand, I think the real problem is that people are fearful and the terrorists are just the latest face for anyone fearful of the unknown.

For all the paranoids out there:

www.interestingprojects.com

The guy built a cruise missile for less than 5000 US$ which will be tested this year - and yes: the flight control system works with GPS.

Hm, if I remember correctly, civil GPSr will switch themselves off at heights above 12000m and/or speeds of more than 1000km/h? (not sure about the actual values)

Reason for this was, that they should be unusable for missiles and the like...

Hm, if I remember correctly, civil GPSr will switch themselves off at heights above 12000m and/or speeds of more than 1000km/h? (not sure about the actual values)

Reason for this was, that they should be unusable for missiles and the like...

True, but the builder says his unit won't fly that high (it's a cruse missile, not ICBM) or that fast. So he's not worried.

Hmmm..... or maybe they could just use something like USAPhotoMaps and click on the spot they're interested in?:ph34r: I hate to criticize people who, I'm sure, have our best interests at heart, but a lot of the so-called security measures since 9-11 have been for appearance's sake. The bad guys either already have pictures of the bridge/building/whatever or else they'll not be seen when they take a picture of it. :ph34r:

Take an aspirin, put a cold towel on your head, and go back to sleep. Everything will be alright. And, if it isn't there isn't much you and I can do about. To be certain, I'm not trashing my GPSr out of fear that some terrorist is going to misuse its capabilities. C'mon folks; lighten up - and just keep an eye open for this guy :P;)