Military Uses Of Gps

I am looking to purchase my first GPS unit within the next week to a month and I want to know what map systems are read. I am going to be using it primaraily in Iraq, and all I know is that since this is not a military PLGR I will not be able to access the military map system, but I do believe that on the Military maps alternate coodinate systems are refrenced. I was also wondering if mapquest or any company out there sells maps for the middle east that I can download into my GPS unit, I am looking at getting a Legend if that helps. Thanks guys

I found this on Garmin's website:

"I am a Lt. Col. with the Marine Reserves and was activated for Iraqi Freedom. I served as an Air Officer for the 3rd Assault Amphibian Battalion. We were seriously short of gear, and I personally used the eTrex to medevac over 20 injured Marines. I made a special holder for it which is very functional."

J. T. USMC

Gator 106

There's also a movie, but it's 16 MB in size.

As far as answering your specific map questions, I don't know. My suggestion would be to contact Garmin directly, they're usually very helpful.

I am looking at getting a Legend if that helps.

Keep in mind that the only maps any GPS will show, are those that are put out by the maker of the GPS. You won't find any maps of Iraq(that would do you any good) by those companies. However, many, many soldiers are using handheld GPS units with great success in the batlefield. They can be used in conjunction with maps in the field with great precision. I wouldn't even worry about a mapping unit, just learn to use a GPS with a great degree of proficiency with maps and you'll be doing great! Incidently, the U.S. Air Force is using older (non-mapping) units in the survival kits of fighter pilots. They don't use and don't need mapping units. And, if you have ever used the military standard GPS receiver, you'll know how much better the small modern units are!

I'm using an etrex together with the good old papermaps which works out very well, since you always have a second option if the GPSr fails. The NATO maps have the UTM-Grid and the WGS84 Datum which is just fine for a GPSr. I wouldn't recommend something fancy - better a robust device like the good old etrex.

Greetz from a German Paratrooper

Philipp

My son ARMY_SCOUT is currently serving as a scout in the 3d Armored Cavalry, at Hadithah Dam. He is on his third E-Trex, the first two were destroyed in combat. He sent the second one home, the screen was shattered by a mortar round impacting next to him. The electronics work, and I was able to save his tracks and waypoints.

He is using the GPS only for the data, but using paper maps for the mapping. And he is also carrying a compass. He has proven that it isn't wise to rely on the GPSr alone. dadgum, that kid is tough on gear! GPSRs, cameras, watches, socks & boots.... I thought he was gone from my budget... :(

Your choice of the Legend is wise. Take along plenty of batteries, especially rechargables. 2200 mah MAHA/Power-X batteries are good. Very reliable in my ham radio equipment. Believe it or not, the Yellow E-Trex is maybe the best choice if for no other reason than battery life.

Thank you for doing what you do. I retired 9 years ago, but would be pleased to join my son for another dash through the desert. People who have not faced it will never understand. Freedom isn't free - but it sure tastes good when you have earned it.

Best of luck to you sir! Do your job, then get back home. :lol:

I found this on Garmin's website:

"I am a Lt. Col. with the Marine Reserves and was activated for Iraqi Freedom. I served as an Air Officer for the 3rd Assault Amphibian Battalion. We were seriously short of gear, and I personally used the eTrex to medevac over 20 injured Marines. I made a special holder for it which is very functional."

J. T. USMC

Gator 106

There's also a movie, but it's 16 MB in size.

As far as answering your specific map questions, I don't know. My suggestion would be to contact Garmin directly, they're usually very helpful.

Any further news if this guy who posted the movie is back home and safe & sound?

Cheers from Sweden, Viktor