Sportrak Topo Buzzes?!

pete_wu

Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to geocaching. I just received my magellan sportrak topo in the mail yesterday. So far so good except I noticed that when the backlight is turned on, there is a very faint buzzing noise. You can only hear it when the surrounding is very quiet or you hold the gps unit up to your ear.

Should I be concerned?

Also, I checked it for cracks and so far no cracks yet, but I did notice that there was a slight dis-coloration of the plastic on one of the screw holes...seems like they are over-tightening the screws at the factory(that one screw looked a little stripped). I backed out all the screws a little. Hopefully it won't develop stress cracks like so many others....

keeping my fingers crossed.

My ST Map also buzzes when the backlight is on. Faintly for the low intensity, and a little louder when I switch to the brightest.
This is normal for most handheld electronics with backlit screens. It is a common probem with cell phones, especially since they are held against the ear which makes the noise more noticeable. I think there are new screen technologies that are less prone to it (and use less power), but their use is not as widespread yet. Edited by Karma Hunter