Geocaching Tournament....

I think it would be cool to start a geocaching tournament in my area. I would need help from the local admin, but I think it could be done. All we would have to do is list a cache event for a certain day. The cache page would explain in detail all about the event. The event would have to be worked out among the members because I'm not sure how it would go. There would have to be an entry fee of some sort to make it interesting.

Any ideas?

What da ya think?

D

I wonder why, when I do a nice, civil post and ask a serious question, I kinda get shut down.  Two replies and only about 80 views.  But when I do a non serious question,  all hell breaks lose.  LOL

My next topic will be about lesbian geocachers.... What do you think about that?LOL  :o

D

1) The only replies you waited for were in the middle of the night.

2) I'm trying to figure out how many people are going to make plans that involve you not quitting and blaming it on CO Admin.

3) I love lesbian geocachers. Not as much as my wife, but cest la vie.

Edited by bons
1) The only replies you waited for were in the middle of the night.

Last night was chat, so I thought maybe a little more responses would have been nice.

2) I'm trying to figure out how many people are going to make plans that involve you not quitting and blaming it on CO Admin.

I have no idea what you are saying, all I know is spiring is coming, so with all the newbies that will be coming around, I will chill out a little.

3) I love lesbian geocachers. Not as much as my wife, but cest la vie.

I hope my wife doesn't read what I said, I will be in the dog house. :o

D

I once sent sent an email to Groundspeak asking permission to organize a geocaching charity event. There would be an entrance fee and a caching contest of some kind. The winner would receive half of all entrance fees collected and the other half would be donated to a charity of their choice.

They basicall told me that such an event would be considered a commercial caching event and would violate Groundspeak rules.

If I wanted to put together such an event, Id have to list it somewhere other than on geocaching.com

Hehehehe, like everything else, it's been done already. :o

Do a search for "GPS Goldrush" here in the forums.

I wasn't able to attend, but those who did had a blast. I don't know how sucessful it was from the sponsor's viewpoint, since the website still says they are getting ready for the 2003 Goldrush event.

If I remember correct, Groundspeak even helped sponsor the event in 2001 and 2002, yet it wasn't listed here on gc.com as an event cache. That should tell you something.

PS: I love lesbian geocachers. I hear they taste like chicken!

Edited by Mopar

What would the format be like? A certain number of caches tat aren't available until the day of the event and then the one who finds the most wins? How woul d you verify? You could place cards or some kind of token in the caches and he/she that has the most cards or tokens wins. Bonus points for FTF tokens/cards?

The Quad once did a little geodash for cache. It was invite only so it never got placed online. This way only those cachers he knew and trusted were invited.

I believe the basics were every cacher showed up early in the morning and were given a few little flags to hide. They had to mark a few locations. Then each cacher came back to the starting point where each shared the coordinates of the flags they hid. Then they started out with a time limit. You grabbed as many flags as you could and HAD to get back before a certain time.

Seems all had a lot of fun but they never held a second one. The Quad went into geo retirement but he's back now so maybe a new event will be held.

There's a competition coming up soon in Missouri at:

Midwest Invitational Geocaching Competition

Looks like a lot of fun. I'll be nearby that weekend but unable to make it(maybe).

I plan to attend that. I doubt I'll actually compete, but I figured I would go for the socialization.

I have something similar that is in the works. Its going to be an Cache Event here in N Colardo. Instead of just sitting in the park and talking about Caching, we are actually going to go find Caches. Its being done to welcome a certain cacher back to the states and take him caching. Tentative date is the Ides of March when the moon is black. Hope to see you here, we are going to clown around all day long.

For folks who might be interested in competitive events to some degree or another, here are a couple of examples:

The listing itself doesn't explain in great detail, but there is this eventweekend of March 13:

Further details can be read here.

Basically regional teams hide tokens and then compete to find another teams tokens. Timed event, token point system. Much loved last year and getting enthusiastic interest this year. Lots of good food and caching company in a Texas State Park!

Two weeks later there is another event further north in Texas that has competitive events or you can choose to participate on a simply fun and caching level. See last year's archived listing here. Hopefully the 2004 listing will be up in the next week or so. The date is the last weekend of March... the 27th & 28th and is held at a few thousand acre ranch owned by the Boy Scouts. The event is a Boy Scout hosted orienteering event with special competition courses designed for GPS users, up to 42 caches, including a bonus cache with first finder's prize, a geocaching clinic or two, and a night competition. Read more about what's anticipated for this year here. This event was attended and enjoyed by a wide range of folks, including geocaching families with kids, scouts who had been introduced to caching, and caught the eye of the famous BruceS, who joined with my partner and I to conquer the GPS class of the Night-O event, not to mention claiming the GPS competition course as his own!

snip ... Instead of just sitting in the park and talking about Caching, we are actually going to go find Caches. more snips.

That is exactly what we are going to be doing at the Midwest Geocaching Competition. Finding caches. Besides the competition that will be going on, there are two existing caches in Hawn State Park, and we are going to be placing 20 more well stocked caches in addition to a planned night cache (still in the works). There will be plenty of socializing too. A couple of bonfire get-togethers and plenty of "face time" with all your buddies. What could be better, Geocachers getting together to hunt caches and talk geocaching.

Get yourselves ready and come on over.

glenn

It doesn't sound like something I'd want to do. I like attending cache events but mostly to meet other cachers, not compete against them. I find the joy of Geocaching is to challenge myself not to match wits with others.

Good luck . . . I'm sure you'll find plenty of other who'd be up for it, though.

Anyhoo . . . happy caching andstuff! :P

That is exactly what we are going to be doing at the Midwest Geocaching Competition. Finding caches. Besides the competition that will be going on, there are two existing caches in Hawn State Park, and we are going to be placing 20 more well stocked caches in addition to a planned night cache (still in the works). There will be plenty of socializing too. A couple of bonfire get-togethers and plenty of "face time" with all your buddies. What could be better, Geocachers getting together to hunt caches and talk geocaching.

Get yourselves ready and come on over.

glenn

This sounds like it has lots of potential because it has regular caches to find as well as a competition. While I would probably just go after the regular caches myself, I think it would still be fun to see the different techniques and strategies teams would apply to trying to find the team caches. Of course I like the socializing part too.

Jim