Wheretogo?vertigo!

JMBella

The Figure 8 knot is the only knot that does not cause the rope to lose strength. At least thats what they told me.  Going for an officail class on tuesday. Can't wait!

Not a big deal and way off topic (but always interested in edumacating anyone interested in climbing) - but ALL knots weaken ropes (when measuring dynamic breaking strength). Typically, knots with "rounder" bends (ala Figure 8, Bowline, etc..) have slightly higher strength - but this assumes you're talking about the rope actually breaking. Pretty unlikely scenario - in that any fall that would test the breaking strengh of a static rope would probably kill you anyway (snapping your spine).

Based on reported accidents, you're much more likely to have a system failure through either anchor failure (Mopar already mentioned the rusty railing) or a failure of your knots or other fasteners (ie. your harness buckle or knot slipping). There's many more stories of folks who fall and leave perfectly good gear hanging on the anchor - only they're not attached to it anymore because of a simple oversight.

Figure 8's are good 'cause it's relatively "easy" to tell if they're tied right (as opposed to a bowline which can be confusion to folks), but I'd still recommend backing it up with a stopper knot when climbing. I've been climbing for a while (and still learn something with every new partner I climb with), but there's a lot of misinformation and bad skills out there - so be careful.

Again, no biggie - but there's a lot of "experts" out there teaching climbing (things that make sense but aren't really true or important), so if your instructor tells you to use a figure 8 'caues it doesn't weaken the rope.......ask him if it's also important to "Wait an hour before you go swimming after eating?" ;)

Most important - have fun and be safe!

Thanks Hart. And it's my thread dammit, feel free to talk about climbing if you want. In all fairness the guy might have said it weakens the rope the least, not not at all. He said he's been climbing for 11 years. Who knows. I'll give you an update after my class tomorrow. BTW, (and to give this a geocaching spin) have you ever hit a cache that required rock climbing? Are there any in the area?

Sorry for the late reply.

Good job guys.

This cache is on my to-do list. Being that I am afraid of heights, not that it's ever stopped me before, I need to muster some courage and strength of will to do this one.

Maybe I can find another nut-job or two to tag along with me.

Mopar? I know you've done this one already but are you in??

:ph34r:

Happy caching and stuff!