Clear Containers - What's Your Favorite?

trippy1976

I like to use clear containers for my caches these days. Looking to get some advice from people who use clear containers on what they've had the best experience with.

My ideal container would be:

-Around the price of an ammo can ($3-$6)

-Transparent

-Durable with emphasis on durability in the cold, resists cracking, etc.

-Waterproof

I have these things called "lock and lock" that I actually got on clearance from Target for $2. I'd say it's 6x4x4 and has a rubber gasket around the inside and is waterproof. The sides actually click down and lock. I have high hopes as i've used them in the freezer, but am still worried about it breaking in the extremes of Michigan winter. Actually, I took some pictures of the cache I have in one for a park manager to see:

Picture

I've pretty much accepted the fact that they will not be as durable as ammo cans, etc. and I'm okay with that. I'm willing to take on the extra maintenance and am not interested in opaque containers.

So... any suggestions from the masses?

Ammo Boxes rule!!!!

Out here in the NorthWest at least.....caches get exposed to way too much moisture. All of the ammo box caches I've visited are always dry.

Although, I have to admit, proper placement of plastic tight-sealing containers do quite well here too. Say, a water shed of some type....large log, overhanging rocks, etc.

Good luck, though.....those might be OK for Michigan.....

JayBee

Are you the guy that leaves all those golf balls in caches.....ha ha ha.

I'm not a golfer, so it really irritates me :o to see all those golf balls out there, why doesn't someone start putting fishing lures in those things?

Really Trippy, Lots of luck with those containers.....

BTW...love your Avatar?....looks like those Borg characters from Star Trek...(Duh....shoulda read your titlelist....)

Edited by jbhooker3

They have clear acrylic containers with lids that lock on a gasket similar to Grolsh (not sure about the spelling of the beer) I snagged one last year and showed it to my wife who promptly stole it to store spagetti.

I think it would of made a good container... Maybe in a few years she will get tired of it and I'll find out for sure. They do sell these in the houseware section of most Walmart/Fred Meyer/Target/Shopko type stores.

Are you the guy that leaves all those golf balls in caches.....ha ha ha.

Nope, he's the one (probably the only one) that takes them out of caches.

I am also looking for a similar solution and am working on cutting one side of an ammo can open then gluing a piece of Lexan to the inside of it. This will give me the "see in" container and still maintain a waterproof and durable cache.

I'm in the stages of finding the right glue that will seal and be waterproof but will hold up to the side of the ammo can with the Lexan being bashed in.

I'm thinking clear on one side because the geocache sticker pretty takes up the other side so ideally it would be the best of both worlds.

I have a lock n lock container out. I checked it last time it got cold in KC and it appeared to be ok. About 26 degrees. If Dusty Jacket sees this he found it yesterday and it was cold then too. Maybe he can shed some light on it.

I am going to look for some of those Lock 'n Lock containers!

When I found one, it was warm, about 45 degrees. Still flexible.

Nice and dry. Just, a little small.

I think they will be great, but the one I foud was protected somewhat.

I want to find some taller than they are wide, like the one linked to from above.

I think they'll seal best.

I am discarding all my rubbermaid boxes and getting some lock 'n lock boxes.

(I wonder how the camo'ed caches will look in the kitchen pantry.)

I have had a Lock N Lock container out Since early December. It has been through the coldest month in Ottawa history and still works like a charm. They are design to be frozen and they stay quite dry.

It has dipped as low as -33 C (-45 Windchill) here and it has toughed it out!

I agree with sunsetnkc. Here in Western PA, clear plastic gallon Tuppermaid-type containers with screw-top lids seem to be the only plastic containers which stay dry consistently. The only drawback is the limited size of the container opening. You can barely fit a hamster through it. Apart from that, it's my container of choice when an ammo can is inappropriate or won't fit in the hiding place.

Any Rubberware container with a snap-on lid tends to leak eventually, due to expansion and contraction, or not being put back on securely by a finder. I have not, however, had the pleasure of encountering a Lock & Lock in the wild. I look forward to doing so.

As has already been suggested Lock n' Lock seem to be a good choice. There are some similar containers made the outdoors, but they are pretty expensive. The only problem I had with L&L is that no where around he seems to sell them. HyVee had them for about six months, but then seems to have dropped them because they no longer have any.

Other ideas are those clear plastic with the rubber edge. Of the couple I've seen they seemed to be holding up. And of course as sunsetnk says those Aeroware jugs from the dollar stores. There kinda cloudy looking be work well for $1, beware of the superclear 'preztal' jars. When those get cold they shatter!

I'm not a fan of the cylindrical containers. Lock 'n Lock caught my eye as the lid comes straight off.

I bought one of the 23,000,000 piece sets (22,999,995 of them are the tiny itty bitty useless ones) and got one really BIG one and two of the kind that I'm about to let into the wild. All in all, I have three of those and a couple cylindrical ones that while I don't love them... would probably work okay.

The problem with round containers with screw tops is their openings, like lep said. I had to really yank on the hamster to get it back out. It reminds me of a book I read growing up, I think it was where the red fern grows or something like that. Boy hunts racoons. Boy puts shiny nugget into hole just big enough for raccoon hand. Raccoon comes along, reaches in and grabs nugget. Raccoon's hand in a fist is too big to get out of the hole now.

That's how I feel when I stick my hand in one of those :o

I have a lock-n-lock cache in Nebraska. It held up well through lots of rain and summer heat. At last check, it is holding up well in the winter too. I'll have to report back for sure in the spring/summer. It is the alternate heating and cooling that tends to cause the plastic containers to crack. I would assume going from the -9 degree temp that it is here right now to around 100 in the summer will be a good test!

Edited by carleenp

:lol: Clear plastic containers maybe are not a good idea in places where it freezes. The become britle in the cold, and if you are not careful, they can sustain some damage. In the south, or warmer climates, they tend to fair a lot better. I have just seen too many plastic containers, fall apart in the cold weather of the north.

:( On a personal note, I have a few caches still in plastic containers. The tupperware contairs from the dollar store have held up for over 2 years, even with the cold weather. However, I'm in the process of removing them, and replacing them with ammo cans. More room and they are a lot more durable.

While I agree with you all that an ammo can is the best, there are areas that they can not be used. For instance, to hide a cache in a MD state park, the guidelines read:

A transparent container is required. DO NOT use PVC pipe, Ammo Cans or any other Military looking containers that may cause alarm should an unsuspecting person happen upon the cache. (Tupperware, Gladware, Pretzel Barrel, etc)

So, a lot of tupperware containers are used here.

F_M

While I agree with you all that an ammo can is the best, there are areas that they can not be used. For instance, to hide a cache in a MD state park, the guidelines read:

A transparent container is required. DO NOT use PVC pipe, Ammo Cans or any other Military looking containers that may cause alarm should an unsuspecting person happen upon the cache. (Tupperware, Gladware, Pretzel Barrel, etc)

So, a lot of tupperware containers are used here.

F_M

You mean the state park's guidelines encourage GLADWARE!!!? :lol:

They [peanut butter containers] do work great. I know of a couple that have survived a couple of winters under a snowpack.

I find enough overstuffed PB containers that it makes me wonder how watertight they end up being. It is not only the container itself that has to survive the freeze/thaw/snow hazards but also the contents. Of course if everyone closes the PB container tightly and properly (i.e., not stripping the threads) then the cache should be ok. It is those times when people do not or can not close the container that will cause problems. PB containers are also more prone to breakage than, say, an ammo can.

:lol: I have had a Lock & Lock as a cache container for over a year now. It has survived all 4 seasons & it still dry inside. It is hidden in quite a sheltered spot, but it has survived the cold of winter & the heat & humidity of summer quite nicely. They get my vote. (check Walmart & Home Depot for these containers. I know the Canadian stores carry Lock & Lock)

-Donna G

No offence but why are you so picky about the cache contianer, clear, not cyclindrical

I think it was covered but to reiterate. The parks are pushing for clear containers more and more and there are areas where that is all they allow.

As far as cylindrical, its because a lot of the time its not to hard to get your hand in but to pull it out while holding that beautiful McToy can be tough. On top of that I've seen baggies, logbooks, etc get torn up by trying to cram them into the opening. On top of that most logbooks take on this half pipe curved way about them which to me is just plain annoying. :lol: All of this obviously depends on the size size of the cylindrical container in question. Oh yeah, square objects don't fit in them too well either. :(

As stated above, I'm an ammo can guy myself but looking to build "The Better Ammo Can". :D

Lock 'n lock seems to be the clear favorite. I have one lock 'n lock cache ready to go. I have another Lock 'n lock safely storing my clam chowder in the fridge.

Do I make another cache... or keep my chowder storage... quite a quandry.

Was just talking to a parks person tonight actually for my county and they are about to enact the following guideline for their caches:

Containers must be transparent and clearly marked “GEOCACHE”.  Do not use ammo boxes, PVC pipes or other containers that might cause alarm.

Do I make another cache... or keep my chowder storage... quite a quandry.

Keep your chowder in the freezer. Its not a good idea to use containers that previously held food. The smell of the food gets in the plastic and is nearly impossible to get out, making the container a target for mice and other animals.

While my chowder is quite pleasing to the nose, I'm going to have to disagree with you there bob... er... bri. Not that I actually intend to convert my chowder bucket to a cache <mcbain> it's a joke </mcbain> but consider this...

If what you are saying is true, the peanut butter jar, pretzel jar, twizzler jar, coffee can, and altoid can caches of the world are all just out there waiting to be knawed on. I've seen all of these containers out in the wild and living a very long and happy life.

As long as they are washed out well, I think they are pretty safe.