Great Smoky Mountains Geocaching Club - Gsmgc

thestosh

We will need to form a committee to manage the future development and growth of the club. I am sure that there are many eager geocachers ready to volunteer, so we will need to limit the number of eligible people. A smaller group can make decisions quicker. We probably want it to have about 5-7 members (read geocache ids) that have cache counts over 200 and have been active for 6 months. They should probably live in the region serviced by the club. Hopefully that will limit it to people that have a better appreciation for what geocaching is and the culture surrounding geocaching in general. These people need not have loads of time on their hands since most of the work can be managed over the Internet (in a private forum) on flexible time schedules. This group can deal with the nitty-gritty of managing the club thereby freeing up more time at club meetings for fun stuff. This group would share administrator access to such things as the club website, club forum, club geocache account, etc. If any one or two members get bogged down with life, the others can pick up the slack. Please post your opinions and suggestions for this method of club management and committee member selection. Also, Please nominate your club committee members (or volunteer) by posting to this forum. Email me if you are unsure how to do this.

The first tasks of the committee will be:

Draft a club charter or mission statement for approval by the club

Decide on the domain name for the club web address

Solicit membership into the club

Solicit 2 webmasters from within the club.

Hi all,

Since I got a cache turned down until I get TVA approval, I've been talking to a gentleman at TVA about whether or not they are going to allow caches there and what will be involved in the approval process. I'm also checking on what we need to do to place caches on WMA's. Not trying to take over or anything, just trying to help a little.

Kurgan

Team Destitute

Hi all,

Since I got a cache turned down until I get TVA approval, I've been talking to a gentleman at TVA about whether or not they are going to allow caches there and what will be involved in the approval process. I'm also checking on what we need to do to place caches on WMA's. Not trying to take over or anything, just trying to help a little.

Kurgan

Team Destitute

You might want to drop an email to JoGPS, DavidMac, and GEOSET. I think they have all had some interest in TVA geocaches. Power in numbers. You might get some tips and information onhowfar they got with it. Good Luck.

Hi Folks,

AB4N and I had a meeting with the TVA people to introduce Geocaching to local TVA management and everything looks promising for cache placements.

Guidelines are being worked out as far as an approval process goes for all of TVA properties but here are some that are not allowed as of now; None near power facilities, buildings & hunting areas.

All of this information was sent via email to a few admins here so if you had a cache that was not approved then give it some time and ask who didn't approve it on what the status is on the area in question.

A forum topic will most likely be started for this in the near future for guidelines and the approval process for all of TVA lands so check back soon.

Kurgan, if you could send me the contact information you have for TVA it would help a great deal. Thanks!

Hikenit

Guidelines are being worked out as far as an approval process goes for all of TVA properties but here are some that are not allowed as of now; None near power facilities, buildings & hunting areas

Please keep all of us posted as these TVA rules could also affect those of us here in Alabama, since we also have a fair amount of TVA property here.

The status page has been updated:

Geocaching Club Status

Also, there have been a couple new logos submitted for our club as well as some logos of other clubs for ideas. Please check out the page where we compiled the logos. Click here for logos.

We are still looking for more feedback on who the club wants to be on the managing committee. Please nominate who you think will do the best job and who will want to put in the effort. Several suggestions have been made, feel free to second the nominations made in the previous posts. If you personally know any geocachers that were at the first meeting, but have not posted here in the forum, please encourage them to do so. Many new geocachers need a little help the first time they try to use the forums. It is important that our club members are comfortable using the forums so that we can keep the meeting events fun by leaving the business decisions on the website. The other great effect is that everyone can participate in the club business on his or her own timeframe. If we want the club to be a big hit we will need the participation, excitement, and turnout we saw at the first meeting. Thanks for all the ideas and work everyone has submitted so far.

Here are some links to more logo design ideas to use as fodder for our logo / logos. We may also get ideas for icons on our new club forum that has been in the works since the begining of February. The new forum is looking good, but will not be ready for go-live for a few more weeks.

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geologo/leath...n__variants.htm

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geologo/gustaf_variants.htm

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geologo/origi...submissions.htm