Mapping Software

phern47

What is the best software for tracing out trips downloaded from a GPS to a PC? I have a Garmin 45. There seems to be a lot of choice for the U.S., but few choices for Canada. I tried all kinds of "free" sites and they were all crap (no detail). Someone gave me "Mapsource 3.05" and there is no detail at all. Just a few lines showing the major roads. I can always mark my wanderings out by hand on a 1 : 20,000 paper map that has all the details. It would take more time but then, there is no need for a GPS. I can do that with a compass.

To get you started with a free option have a look at the free digital topomaps at Toporama These can be used with the freeware program GPS Trackmaker which also up/down loads data from your GPSr.

There are quite a few commercial options for both maps and software too. Have a look at my site for some links :unsure:

I visited the "Topo" website and I don't see how to download anything. I would love to have some detailed maps of 22D (the area just north of Chicoutimi Quebec. How do I go about getting some of those free digital maps?

This link is from toporama.

A toporama image from the Vancouver area.

I open this image in Ozi Explorer and plot the coordinates for the four corners of the map, which is easy to determine from the toporama image site, and thats it. It does take some time to build up the library in 1:50,000 images and they don't have all the detail of a finished map but they are free.

If anyone would like more detailed instructions on how to do this drop me an email.

I visited the "Topo" website and I don't see how to download anything.  I would love to have some detailed maps of 22D (the area just north of Chicoutimi Quebec.  How do I go about getting some of those free digital maps?

Here is the 1:250,000 image of 22D from toporama. There are 16 1:50,000 images for every 1:250,000 image that you can download which will provide even more detail.

How did you know that I am only a couple of miles from St-Ambroise? Yes, great link. I asked for info on ordering the CD rom.

Just a guess :) The quality of the Quebec topos available at this site is outstanding and although I haven't figured out how to download them at least you can view them for free. BTW SoftMap now sells the 1 in 20,000 Quebec topos. You can see demos at their site and I suspect that they are from the same source.

I got a reply from Photocartothèque québécoise ; Ministère des Ressources naturelles, de la Faune et des Parcs and there are about 2,700 digital images for the province of quebec (scale 1:20,000). Each image sells for 15 dollars. Area 22D (the sector that I am most interested in) has 64 digital images at 15 dollars each. So I guess that the best method so far for me is to buy a few printed maps at 1:50,000 scale ( I already have a few ), scan the maps on my computer, enlarge the maps to my liking, save the scans of the maps in .bmp or .jpg and using those images along with my GPS and PC.