Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
ColdMachine

Video Encoding Gps Data

It seems to me that somewhere I saw a device that would accept an NMEA data stream from a GPS receiver and combine it with a composite video signal in the form of text overlayed on a corner of the screen.

I can't remember where I saw it, and I'm unable to find it through numerous searches.

Anyone have a source for something like this? I've been experimenting with a mobile automotive video recording system and would like to add the option of lat. and long. display on the screen.

Try here. Hams use this stuff to add data to a TV signal that they transmit back to base.

I'm not sure what you want to use the recording for, but if it's for legal protection, I would NOT encode any GPS data. That may just be the evidence needed to show you were going 30MPH in a 25MHP zone and therefor 50% (or whatever) at fault of getting run over by a red light runner.

I know there's a big difference between exceeding the posted speed limit and reckless speeding , but the courts don't see it that way. At minimum I'd talk to a good traffic attorney about what you should and shouldn't put on the screen so you'll be in good shape if you need to use it to defend yourself.

Edited by GeckoGeek

Yeah, this looks as if it provides the functionality I'm looking for. Thanks!

Should be easy enough to add an enclosure, power supply and connectors.

It doesn't specify, but I'm guessing it accepts and outputs a standard 1Vp-p composite video signal.

That's a very cool site, BTW. That ATV stuff really looks like fun. One of these days I am really going to have to get around to getting my Technician class license.

-Ethan

That's a very cool site, BTW. That ATV stuff really looks like fun. One of these days I am really going to have to get around to getting my Technician class license.

No morse code required. Just sit down and study the test and take it. I think about 75% of the test is about courtesy and shareing the airwaves and everything is multiple choice. Here is the entire list of questions that may be asked of you in the test.

Hope you noted my comments on legal use - I added that later.

Edited by GeckoGeek

Regarding the Technician class test: Thanks for the link. I studied up a few years ago and was doing well on the practice tests, but never got around to taking the test. I'll follow through this time.

Regarding encoding GPS data on videotape: I didn't see your addendum earlier. Good point about the legal implications. This isn't for legal protection, since a rope like that is just as likely to hang you as it is to keep you from falling off a cliff. (Okay--kind of a weird metaphor.) It's strictly for geekish purposes. I take a lot of car trips and have often thought it would be nice to have a record of exactly where a video was shot.

Might also be fun to use in portable mode while caching.

Thanks,

Ethan

Might also be fun to use in portable mode while caching.

It might be a whole new way to validate virtuals and locationless.

"Here is a frame capture of the yellow Jeep, with GPS data in the frame."

By the way, you can find practice tests here for the Tech license (the others, too!). When you can consistently get scores above 80%, you should have no problem passing the real test.

A lot of good info on that site, too.

Dave_W6DPS