New To The Game

fcpsp

My wife and I both enjoy the outdoors and hiking tremendously and are preparing to take up geocaching. We are researching things extensively, pricing and getting specs on equipment. The GPS device we are leaning toward is the Magellan Sportrak. It seems to be pretty full-featured but also reasonably priced. If anyone has any experience with this GPS, let us know. We're probably going to order our GPS in the next few days and just would like to get a little advice. Thanks!

Matt

There seems to be three different Sportraks. You didn't say which one but if you are getting a mapping model, I noticed the Sportrak Map only has a small database (2mb) and 6mp to download detailed map areas but the Sportrak Pro has a large database (9mb) and a 23mb to download detailed maps. I have a Magellan mapping model (330) and only have 8mb for maps which I'm finding limiting. So if you can afford it and are going for a mapping gps, go for the biggest one you can. If you’re not looking for a mapping model, then most models will do. Owners of the Sportrak will have to advise you as to its quality and use. And welcome to the madness!

Hiya and welcome fcpsp. I own a Sportrak Pro and am very happy with it. Nice compact, I use a window mount in the car and a power adapter which I highly suggest, saves on batteries. The model is performing great, never run low on memory for maps and combined with Mapsend Topo its wonderful. I use a Garmin Map76 at work and as far as ease of use the Sportrak is by far easier. I just opened the box and I was able to do most functions with no assistance from the owners manual. Like Shoebox I suggest if you can afford it get the larger memory. Hope you enjoy your purchase and happy hunting.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

I appreciate the advice...continuing to do research...there's a cache that is very close to the house that I am probably going to try to locate without the GPS...just to try to get my first find under my belt...Like I said, I appreciate the advice and the kind words...keep your thoughts coming...

I use a Sport Trak Pro, also. I have never used a Garman so I can't compare. My unit seems to have everything I could want. I've learned to slow down when I get to the cache site and check my reception, ( I'm sure everyone does this whatever unit they have.)

The most valuable advice I can give you is whatever unit you chose be sure to buy the protective case. Magellan's run about $15.00. I dropped mine once and broke the glass face and had to send it off for repairs to the tune of $72.00, and a full week without its assistance.

Good luck and welcome,

OG

Prophetically Challenged

I use the SporTrak Pro which has the 23 meg of memory which you can download maps to. I have never used up all the memory, but I have used enough of it to know that I am glad I bought this model. I have had excellent luck with this model though you have to learn how to use it to your best advantage.

Well, I have ordered my GPSr. I went ahead and got the base-level Magellan SporTrak. After much research it seemed like the best buy for the amount of money I could afford to spend. With this being a new hobby, even though I am reasonably sure it is something I will really enjoy and stay involved with, I didn't want to shell out bigger bucks and get something that I find I am not using. I ordered from Amazon, and took the free shipping offer, which means I have a target delivery range of 6/17-6/18. I hope it will be a bit sooner, but it seemed worth it to save some $$. In the meantime, I am going to try some GPSless caching in the area...Wish me luck on going low-tech while I wait.

Hi

I just purchased a Garmin etrex Legend GPS. Seems like a great value for the money..

On sale now at Amazon for $189.00 and then a $50 rebate is in effect for purchases thru July 7th.

Should be receiving my new toy tomorrow...

You may want to research this particular model.

Good luck and happy hunting!

~foxgloves~

127369_400.jpg