Help With My Magellan?

sarge76

I was wondering what software I can use for my Magellan SportTrak, so I can download the waypoints and info into my GPS instead of doing it manually. I should know this but my GPS came with 2 French manuals instead of any English ones. Do I also need a cradle like for a Palm?

Thanks!

EasyGPS is one program you can use to transfer waypoints to and from your GPS. Did your sporttrak come with a data cable? If not, I'd recommend getting a combination power/data cable. Who knows, you might end up with a laptop in your vehicle and wanting to use the GPS to plot your location mapping software on the laptop. The combo saves batteries ;)

I don't see any place for a data cable. Where would it be located? Do some not have a slot? The person who sold it to my wife at Wal-mart said info could be downloaded to the GPS. On the back is 4 small silver circles and a hole in the middle of them all that looks like a place for a belt clip or something.

On the back is 4 small silver circles and a hole in the middle of them all that looks like a place for a belt clip or something.

Here you have the data plug of your sportrack, this is a serial port that you have to plug in the Com1 of your PC, it is also for connect to the 12 Volt Cigarette Lighter.

You can order the PC cable in Magellan Store

A google search for Magellan Cable came up with this web page how to make your own.

Cable

I used the information to take a data cable and a power cable(12 volt lighter) and married them to a combo cable.

I saw another site where he used part of an old credit card to make the GPS end. He used blobs of solder for the connections, instead of springs with the plastic credit card having a little flexibility in it.

For the PC end, you could use parts from an old serial mouse.

Good luck

Jim

Edited by sodajerk

I recently sent my Sportrak Map in to have it's case replaced & Magellan sent me another copy of the Manuals for it - If you would like, I will send them to you free, just pay for the shipping. If you find a good source for a car power adapter for the sportrak, I'd like to hear about it too. You can e-mail me at the address below.

tges@prime-line-products.com