Is It Bad Form To Look In The Snow?

LupinusNewJerseycus

Is it considered bad form to look for a Cache in the snow? Am I going to tip off non-cachers as to a location of one?

I think it depends on the cache, and on the timing. If the cache seems to be in a busy area, might be better to just pass on it for another day. If it's pretty remote, go for it, just try not to make it obvious where you found the cache. Lot of footrints going in other directions, or right pass the cache help. Some people have even been known to carry a squirt bottle of water with yellow dye in it, to make it look like they left the trail to "water a tree". I'll usually pick up a branch off a pine tree along the way, and sweep over my tracks to help hide them.

If it's already snowing, or there is a storm coming, even better, since your tracks will get covered up.

What I have done is to periodically stop and trample some snow and then go on.

And after I find and rehide the cache, trample some snow going off in different directions and then continue on my original course and loop back to my starting point.

That way, the cache site looks no different than my other "stops".

Well, here's how it went:

The spot was in a suburban park. We've had snow on and off here in NJ and there were lot's of tracks. The snow is pretty packed and very icey. I brought a companion who has no issues with making yellow snow, and saw to it that there was lots made. It's near basketball courts that in the summer might be hard to get to easily without being spotted. Today I was the only one in the park.

This was my first find and let's just say that I made lots of random tracks just because I was following my GPS around like a kid playing Marco-Polo. I will admit that some of the tracks helped my cause because some one logged the Cache yesterday. Right near the cache was pretty packed.

We are slated for snow tonight and tommorow, so unless someone goes today, I think it'll be alright.

Wuf

Sometimes, it is just unavoidable to give the position of the cache away, particularly if it is above freezing with snow cover. Even with a branch, the snow just doesn't want to dust neatly into place. It's just part of the game. I went to one a couple weeks ago where footprints aided my search, but then at the very next one which was placed only 1/4 mile away, it was obvious that the same person searched, but did not find the second cache. I found it eventually, but thought the coordinates were somewhat off.

On the other hand, sometimes the help of footprints doesn't help. I had a couple of DNFs on a micro I had hidden not too long before it snowed, so I went to check on it. It was still there, of course, but next to impossible to find in the snow. I even put in the log (as a note) that until it snowed or thawed, my footprints would probably aid the next finder to a good degree. Still, nobody found the thing until all the snow melted. Then I had like three finders in a row. Now, it's snowing again as I write this. Good luck, suckers!

So you just never know.

Wow, I was caching in the snow the other day and the question crossed my mind, "Would there ever be a cache where the owner wouldn't want it hunted in the snow?" I've been the guy who's made fresh tracks to a cache before, and I've also been the guy who's followed tracks to the cache. Either way was fun.

On the other hand, with the wind whipping like it was the other morning (sub zero windchills they said) there was no danger of me leaving tracks on at least one hunt. By the time I was done looking most of my tracks were gone.

Bret