Quick And Dirty Guide To Html For Cache Pages

bons

Bons, I think this is a great idea. Especially after yesterday's HTML session on the forums.

I have a couple of suggestions:

Since Jeremy seems to be moving towards enforcing the HTML IV (or is it V?) standards, I don't think you should promote using <p> as a line break.

It should always be accompanied by a </p>. Using <br><br> might be better. Or else <p>paragraph text</p>

Or else it is just me getting weird.

Also, you may want to list the font sizes normally available (1 through 7), and some typically used font names.

List how to set font colors?

Where to stop before this gets huge?

Maybe point them at www.e-pixs.com or pongo or other HTML tutorial sites that have a practice board? e-oixs.com has these short tutorials:

Quick Start

What is HTML?

Text, Fonts and Formatting

Using Images

Making Links and Mailto Links

Making Lists

Tables, the key to well designed HTML documents

Examples of Tables

Color Chart by Name

Hexadecimal Color Chart

You have a good idea going here.

I'd add a bit on symbols - or rather, at least mention that you can get the degree symbol by typing ° - I think that's the HTML question I get from cachers most often, after using it in a multi description.

You might also want to add " for the " symbol. Not necessary for cache pages, but it is needed to put a quote in a log.

For that matter, you might want to include a link to this page.

Edited by Prime Suspect
I'd add a bit on symbols - or rather, at least mention that you can get the degree symbol by typing °

You can also type the degree symbol into the text portion of your page. Hold down the alt key while typing 0176 ( on the numeric pad), then release the alt key. Like this 270°

Edited by Link & Zelda
I'd add a bit on symbols - or rather, at least mention that you can get the degree symbol by typing °

You can also type the degree symbol into the text portion of your page. Hold down the alt key while typing 0176 ( on the numeric pad), then release the alt key. Like this 270°

I don't want to muddy the waters any further here, but I stumbled across this on another message board where it is nice to be able to write "¢." I never knew there was no ¢ sign on a computer keyboard till very recently. There's one right there on my Underwood portable. . .

I don't want to muddy the waters any further here, but I stumbled across this on another message board where it is nice to be able to write "¢." I never knew there was no ¢ sign on a computer keyboard till very recently. There's one right there on my Underwood portable. . .

That list's a bit incomplete. It doesn't have the codes for things like the euro €. See my previous message for a link to a more complete list.

Actually, I think all the suggestions have been added to the web page in one form or another at this point. I've included examples for all the stuff I think you might need (except tables) and links to those more detailed listings (colors, symbols, and more HTML tags). The links I've chosen probably weren't the best but I was going for consistancy.

If I've missed something, PLEASE let me know.