How To Transfer Geocache File To 60c?

WayneH

Normally you would use a program like EasyGPS or Mac SimpleGPX however at this point neither of those is set to transfer the waypoints via USB. I believe at this point you may need to enter them manually or get the serial cable. You can get it cheap here. It's the 5th one down, stating "GPS 3+, V, 76, StreetPilot, 12, 38, and 40 PC Interface Cable (comparable to Garmin part # 010-10141". Your other option is the Garmin one, for $30-40. GPSGeek is top notch. :blink:

If someone who actually has the 60C already knows of another method, please chime in!

BTW the software I listed above should be updated fairly soon, so these methods won't be needed for TOO long. Good luck!

You can also import in Garmin PCX5 format - if MAC GPSBabel supports that option?

For those that don't have MapSource - the 60C does come with the Garmin "Trip & Waypoint Manager" software. I'm not sure if this supports the Import function (check under the "File" menu). I can't tell anymore because I have installed CitySelect V5 as well so I am not sure if this is where the Import function comes in.

Thanks Rocket Man! EasyMPS does work with Mapsource, and I have been able to download a number of caches.

THIS VIDEO demonstrates the geocaching mode of the 60C. The "instructor" says that he loaded the hint directly from geocaching.com.

Do the cache notes/clues automatically populate in the "Note" field of the geocache page? :blink:

I think this is one area where Garmin dropped the ball on the 60 series. There appears to be a lot of confusion over how the geocaching mode works. They should've worked closer with Jeremy and some of the various gps/geocaching software authors in designing and implementing the Geocaching mode of this otherwise awesome unit!

Edited by Neo_Geo

THIS VIDEO demonstrates the geocaching mode of the 60C. The "instructor" says that he loaded the hint directly from geocaching.com.

Do the cache notes/clues automatically populate in the "Note" field of the geocache page? :blink:

I think this is one area where Garmin dropped the ball on the 60 series. There appears to be a lot of confusion over how the geocaching mode works. They should've worked closer with Jeremy and some of the various gps/geocaching software authors in designing and implementing the Geocaching mode of this otherwise awesome unit!

The instructor "loaded" it by manually typing in some text he read directly from a webpage on geocaching.com. The GPS doesn't know anything about geocaches, clues, terrain and difficulty ratings. "Geocaching mode" is really just a "find/goto waypoint" mode that only shows you waypoints that use the geocache icon. The only new feature in geocaching mode is that after you click the find button, it asks you if you want to find another one, and it enters "found GCxxxx" into the GPS calendar.

Quick poll: how many people have ever used the GPS calendar?

If you regularly seek multiple caches in a single outing, and you rely heavily on the data you've put in the note field (either by hand, or using EasyGPS, GPS Spinner, or others), geocaching mode will probably save you a few key-presses. But I doubt it will be a major improvement over the way you already seek caches.

Wow that sucks. Leave it to Garmin to release a great new GPSr, that even has a dedicated Geocaching options, without the capability of using the most common "Geocaching" software out of the box...

I don't think it sucks. USB is so much faster. The developers of the Geocaching software such as ExpertGPS will change their programs to accept the change. Serial is long gone. My last lap top I purchased doesn't even have a serial port. And yes you could get a serial to USB adapter like I got for my laptop. But remember, if was said here to download some maps via serial took hours and when he downloaded over the USB it took three minutes. I welcome the change and I believe everyone else will too.

murph

Quick poll: how many people have ever used the GPS calendar?

Dan, I have never used my calendar on my Vista. In fact I didn't even know it was there until I was cleaning it up to sell. If my new CS is easy to get to I may just use it. I would love to have a tie in on waypoints. In other words I could click on a waypoint and it would tell me when I was there last or even all dates. That would be neat but I am sure that would have to come from Garmin?

murph

ps: I have ExpertGPS and love it. Can't wait for CS to come and hoping ExpertGPS is updated by then. If not I will just wait.

I don't think it sucks. USB is so much faster. The developers of the Geocaching software such as ExpertGPS will change their programs to accept the change.

Garmin could have made this situation a lot better for users by releasing the new USB interface protocol a few months in advance so that software developers could have something ready when the new units shipped. I'm getting hammered right now by new 60C owners wanting to know when EasyGPS and ExpertGPS will support USB transfers. If I had had the spec and a unit to test with two months before the release, I would have had software available the day the 60C shipped.

I do now have a copy of the USB transfer spec, and I'll be purchasing a 60CS for testing when they come out. Unfortunately, I'm working on major new changes to ExpertGPS for a summer 2004 release, and so it will probably be a few months before a new ExpertGPS release with USB support is available.

I'm working on major new changes to ExpertGPS for a summer 2004 release, and so it will probably be a few months before a new ExpertGPS release with USB support is available.

Dan,

Any chance of getting an interim release any sooner that would support the new icons on a 60C via serial? There are several new ones like cubes and flags and pushpins that ExpertGPS doesn't understand. It converts them all back to "waypoint" when uploading.

Thanks.

Neo_Geo, et al,

The geocaching mode simply shows the description field, a field which has been available on many GPS units for a while. The 60C and 60CS just show this field in a "new" way. ;)

GPX Spinner will enable you to put whatever you want into this description field. So, if you want the hints there, Spinner will do that quickly.

I'm working on major new changes to ExpertGPS for a summer 2004 release, and so it will probably be a few months before a new ExpertGPS release with USB support is available.

Hey, topografix,

what is big & new in the update for expertgps that you are hopeing to get out next summer? I'm a registered user & look forward to updates on your great program.

thanks

Hey, topografix,

what is big & new in the update for expertgps that you are hopeing to get out next summer? I'm a registered user & look forward to updates on your great program.

thanks

• USB support
  • Tracklog profiling (elevation plots)
  • More scanned map projections
  • All world datums
  • Better GPX support

Beta testing of ExpertGPS will start in a month or so.

As many of you know, I have been having a go-around with National Geographic TOPO support. Seems they think TOPO is already USB ready. If it is, I can't find it. The thread is HERE.

Perhaps those of you who own the 60C, or are looking forward to one soon can also drop an E-mail to TOPO support and just ask them if TOPO will support USB connections and the GARMIN 60C or CS soon. If enough of us ask, maybe they will see the light. You can E-mail them at: topo@ngs.org

Maybe they will get to work on it soon. ;)

EDIT: Spelling - as usual!

Edited by Desert_Warrior
Dan,

Any chance of getting an interim release any sooner that would support the new icons on a 60C via serial? There are several new ones like cubes and flags and pushpins that ExpertGPS doesn't understand. It converts them all back to "waypoint" when uploading.

Thanks.

I found if I import the .loc files into EasyMPS select Geocache under the Waypoint Icon options then export waypoints to "Open in Mapsource" it works great. I now have all the SF Bay Area caches loaded on my 60C in the Geocaching mode, all via USB. The description field just gives Cache name and the Cacher who placed it. Used it to find a cache today and it worked great. It even logged my find on the calender and in the Caches found section. What a great step up from my old ETREX Yellow!!!

Home Star Runner!!

Edited by Team HomeStarRunner
...if you have an older unit (legend, V) transfer it to that, then upload it to mapsource, then you can download it your 60.

I was messing around with a couple of saved tracks earlier today and did just that!

Altho, if you have the V, you already have the serial connector so it's just faster to connect the 60 via serial instead of connecting the V via serial --> to upload to the computer --> to upload to the 60. You cut out a couple of steps that way.

michelle

You can get serial to usb, you just have to make sure it is an "active" one, usually has a box in the middle with an indicator light, but they usually cost $40-70, might as well get a serial cable. I used to sell them to people with cell phones that had serial data cables and their laptops only had usb.

Edited by gessner17