Hiking - How Far & How High

This topic sort of came up off topic in another thread ( Here ) in connection with one of my caches.

The cache that was found to be amusing was one that is 2 miles in placed at an elevation of 2100 feet, 1000 feet gain from starting point. :D:D

What I was wondering is how far are you willing to hike and how much elevation gain are you willing to take on in order to get to a cache?

The cache that was found to be amusing was one that is 2 miles in placed at an elevation of 2100 feet, 1000 feet gain from starting point.  :D  :D

What I was wondering is how far are you willing to hike and how much elevation gain are you willing to take on in order to get to a cache?

I just love to plant them way back in and up the hill.

One

Two

Three

Four

And this year I'm going to try and plant an extreme Cache, it will leave the trail and go cross country to the first clue then on to some more.

My longest walk was about 23 miles. I was in Wales without a car and by the time I got to the cache and returned to where I was staying, the odometer on my GPS read just shy of 23 miles. I didn't have access to a car, so started out on a main road and worked my way into the hills via smaller and smaller lanes, until the last mile and a half or so was on sheep range trails. All told, the walk gained about 1000 feet in elevation, and took about 12 hours.

On the Geocacher's Catskill Backpacking event last summer, Briansnat, Hartclimbs, Waterboy with Wife and I went to find a pair of crashed airplanes on top of a trailless peak -- that elevation change was about 1000-1500 feet over maybe three miles, but the last 200 or so feet of elevations was nearly straight up, hand over hand.

Well, if you're asking personally, my limit has more to do with time - can I do it in a day. One of my closer cache finds is about 6 miles, 2000 feet gain. It's just up and up. (and then down and down.)

Of course, with caches like that they'll go awhile before being hit - people need to make time to do them.

I do the 1/1's and the puzzles because they're on my nearest list and I want them off. I look forward to the longer hikes because they're the ones that are rewarding. If people in your area complain about them, you just direct them here. Keep the faith!

if it takes me a week each way to hike, involves climbing thousands (or even better 10s of thousands) of feet I would really like it. Heck i would do a multi that took you from the indian ocean to the top of everest down the other side then up K2 only to find out that the cache itself is only feet from where i parked 3 months and 200+miles ago

Criminal, if you were referring to mine, I agree. It's the big trip that you remember most, not the 1/1's, for the most part. You've earned rights by doing the hard ones. Unfortunately, not all of mine are as dramatic, though there are some cool lower level finds and -- wince -- a vert or two that I have enjoyed...

Criminal, if you were referring to mine, I agree.  It's the big trip that you remember most, not the 1/1's, for the most part.  You've earned rights by doing the hard ones.  Unfortunately, not all of mine are as dramatic, though there are some cool lower level finds and -- wince -- a vert or two that I have enjoyed...

No, not all are dramatic, but all are fun in their own way. I'm not knocking 1/1s at all. But as was mentioned, it's the */4+ caches that are most memorable. I can't run out and do one of those on my lunch hour though. :blink:

You don't want all yours to be */3+ caches. It's getting the email and reading the stories that I enjoy. You get a lot more emails on the lower rated caches.

Edited by Criminal

I've done a cache that required a 7+ mile hike, and one that had a 900 ft elevation gain in under 3/4's of a mile (a DNF on that one). Those are the kind I really love. I'd rather spend 4 hours bagging one cache, than grabbing 4 caches in one hour.

The easy caches have their place, but I'll take a nice long hike any day.

About an 8 mile desert roundtripper across Craters of the Moon NM at:

Desert Mischief

Did this in August, 95 degrees or so. Last 3/4 mile across thick shin scraping scrub/sage, the nastiest part. A great cache though. We were FTF and LTF as it was later archived. Elevation change was only about 700 feet if I recall.

When we left on our trip this was sort of our destination cache as is was a lot more than we were used to doing in suburban Chicago.

This topic sort of came up off topic in another thread ( Here ) in connection with one of my caches.

The cache that was found to be amusing was one that is 2 miles in placed at an elevation of 2100 feet, 1000 feet gain from starting point. :blink::D

What difference if you go from 6000' to 7000' or 2000' to 3000'? I live at 4500' I hit a lot of caches over 5000'. When I was on the coast I lived at 0', I hiked to 1200' or 1400' all the time. It's all realitive.

I just did one that required between 13-14 miles of hiking. Although the cache only had the normal trinkets in it, I really enjoyed finding the cache and really enjoyed the hiking. I wish I had more here in my local area like this to find. It was also fun to be only the 5th finder in almost 2 years since the cache was placed.

I really like a mixture of 1/1s and more difficult caches. That being said The cache that comes to mind when thinking about some of my favorite was one we did in PA. 2 mile hike at a pretty steep incline. Completely different from anything I had done on LI. I would have to say given the choice I'd go for the difficult hike over a few bag and dashes.

After I did a 16-cache day Friday, I've come to realize that there are nt a lot of long walks nearby.

I think the longest individual walk was 0.33 of a mile.

I need a better workout to help me lose this tire store I am carrying around.

the best workout was 4 fairly challenging caches in the same park (woods and hills) that took me 4-5 hours to complete. That was great.

I now have a PQ called "Tough Nuts" to find a longer walk (higher terrain rating).

I would love to have several 5-6 mile hike caches here, and maybe even one that required an overnight trailside camp that cannot be driven.

Still searching.

The cache that was found to be amusing was one that is 2 miles in placed at an elevation of 2100 feet, 1000 feet gain from starting point.  :D  :blink:

What difference if you go from 6000' to 7000' or 2000' to 3000'? I live at 4500' I hit a lot of caches over 5000'. When I was on the coast I lived at 0', I hiked to 1200' or 1400' all the time. It's all realitive.

You are correct in saying it is all relative :D . The page has since been revised as recommended by another cacher to just make reference to the elevation gain since the original intent was at the gain in elevation not the elevation itself.

While this may not be terribly interesting to international readers, there are some nice long caches in Austria.

Golden Lake

Elevation Gain was about 5400 feet on a 15 miles roundtrip. Stage 2 is hidden on the highest point at an altitude of 7880 feet.

The longest cache hasn´t been found yet.

High Noon

10000 feet elevation gain over 18 miles. I can´t wait for spring to come to try this one.

My favorite was a 5 1/2 mile hike with a gain of about 1,400 feet (if I remember correctly).

The funny thing is that it's the end of a multi (where you got coords from 6 other caches in town) and there's a traditional less than 100 feet away!

Many don't know about the multi when they do this one, and when they decide to do the multi later - the logs are hilarious!

"Been here before....."

"Can't believe I had to make that hike again......"

Edited by Kealia

My 11 year old son and I like the longer/harder hikes. One was about 4 miles round trip with a drop of 1500 feet (then of course a climb back out of 1500 feet). Another was 5 miles with an elevation gain of 2000 feet. Toughest so far was 6.5 miles with an elevation gain of 2500 feet.

This summer, we've got a longer/harder one planned. It will start at 8500ft, climb to 10,800ft, then drop to 6000ft. About 11.5 miles all told, and will hit 5-6 caches along the way. Can't wait!!!

I personally prefer the longer hikes, and don't mind the elevation changes.  We have lots of caches locally in the Columbia River Gorge that start at sea level, and end up 1500 to 2000 feet in just a few miles.

Or you could go for this one.

Eraseek has a cache on the side of Mt. St. Helens.

Sadly the first one is a virtual, so I may do the hike for fun but wouldn't bother with the pseudo-cache.

Eraseek caches are some of the best, although I've yet to bag one. EvergreenHiker and Dandog have some really great ones as well.

What? You don't live in the Pacific Northwest? Well, in the words of the great Nelson Muntz, "Ha ha!" :lol::(:DB)

Edited by Criminal