Accedental Cliff Diving

Greetings from the left side of Lake Atlantic. :D

I just read about a magazine over there "TRAIL", that gave bad directions on how to get off 'Ben Nevis' in the fog/snow. Seems they deleted one of the crucial directions in the editing process. The published rout would have you plummet of a cliff. Just curious, how many cachers read the magazine ?

5 time zomes away, CCC

Yes I read it . They say take a bearing of 281 deg and STICK TO IT :D:D . when it should be

1)From the summit trig pillar walk 150 metres on a grid bearing of 231° to near the top of Gardyloo Gully, (first marker pole).

2)Then follow a grid bearing of 282° to clear the plateau. (A second marker pole is situated 300m along this second bearing, at the top of McLean's Steep.)

or way point it on the way up like I did :D

Greetings from the left side of Lake Atlantic. :D

I just read about a magazine over there "TRAIL", that gave bad directions on how to get off 'Ben Nevis' in the fog/snow. Seems they deleted one of the crucial directions in the editing process. The published rout would have you plummet of a cliff. Just curious, how many cachers read the magazine ?

5 time zomes away, CCC

I read it, and had their emergency bad visibility descent directions on our sheets for our Three Peaks Challenge that we did last year. As it happens, it was incredible weather, gorgeous visibility, so I didn't need them. They were only a back-up to my hand-coded waypoints on the GPS though, so we'd have had to be pretty unlucky to drop over that cliff.

To be honest, anyone who doesn't check directions like that against a map and compass is a bit daft :blink: