Virtual Caches

Jdrummerlax

My vote is Kerry Park Viewpoint.

A recent thread in the Northwest forums involved a guy who was comming to Seattle for a few daqys and wanted to know the must do caches. The only one with multiple votes was Kerry Viewpoint. To put icing on the cake it was planted by a guy on vacation and you can find the answer on the net.

Hows that for Ironic?

Heads of State is worth the stop and One Man's Castle, both in Houston, are excellent examples of virtuals.

Here's me at the One Man's Castle virtual:

1022213_200.jpg

The entire house is completely covered in aluminum beer cans. The fence, roof, curtans, gate, curb, sidewalk, driveway, garage - you name it. Pretty amazing!

Heads of State has been submitted by a couple of different cachers as a virtual. They didn't know it already was a cache! :D One of my virtuals has been submitted by other cachers too.

I think an item that spurs multiple cachers to submit the same thing as a virtual is definitely worth it.

Edit - fixed goofy grammar

Edited by 9Key

I take back what I said. I forgot about Aircrash 3 which was one of the best hunts I've done, virtual or not. It involved a 7+ mile hike, a climb of a very steep peak and a bushwack through some very dense growth.

It's sister cache, Aircrash 2 was OK. These were exceptions however. The other virtuals I found varied from totally lame, to pretty lame. I don't get much out of walking up to a flagpole in a park and e-mailing the owner the date the flagpole was installed.

Can virtuals teach you about local history? Yes, but so can real caches.

Can virtuals involved interesting puzzles? Yes, but so can real caches.

Edited by briansnat
I personally love Virtual caches. Maybe that's because I love solving puzzles and learning. Anyway, what do you think is the coolest virtual cache. Don't give away any answers or anything - but why do you like this virtual cache? Was is it a hard puzzle :D

Environmental Explorer

I like virtuals because around here they are easy and its a good way to boost the numbers. :D

In my limited (7 Virts) experience, I've had great fun with the virtuals. The most recent was a couple of days ago at the Vatican City: GCGDGR, Stairway to Heaven 1.

Our time was short, but without this virtual, we never would have made the climb to the top. Looking back now, it's something we'll never forget and we're VERY glad we did it...and we owe it all to the virtual cache owner for the trip, the 320 steps, and the view.

I'm sure I'll be doing more memorable or exciting virtuals in the future, but for now, this has definitely been one of our highlights... Regards,

-Ken

b2de5dd2-932d-4d29-85a3-59234eae9270.jpg

Wanna See a Card Trick?

My first and only virtual hide. I created it before even finding one geocache, thereby breaking another taboo. But, I did email Jeremy way back when I did it and told him my idea. He said, "Go for it". And, you know what, it has been one of the best I've seen, if I do say so myself. Just read some of the logs to see people's reactions. You get a card trick and the 'reveal' is at the site.

As far as ruining it for a traditional cache site, it is inside a graveyard (ooh, spooky) and you couldn't very well place anything there anyway.

I say, judge a cache on it's own merits, not by it's classification as a traditional or virtual. Actually, the more I am involved with this sport, I think about where it will be in 10, 20, or 50 years. Most traditionals can't last one year without constant maintenence. I think a well thought out virtual will last considerably longer.

I know some people consider them lame, but I really enjoyed the virtuals around Washington, DC. In the two times I've been there, I've used the virtuals as a sort of "geocaching tour guide" to the monuments in the city. What's also nice about them is I've seen several things that I wouldn't have even noticed if I was just touring the area.

Other than that, Speculate was just plain weird and really an interesting sight.

But Divided We Fall definitely belongs up there in my favorites. As I wrote in my log, "Found it on our way out of the park. It's a real shame that this item is tucked away where few people will ever see it. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing a virtual cache should be! Thank you so much for placing it. It was amazing and gratifying to stand here and try to explain to my friend's 7 year old daughter what it meant . . or used to mean."

Bret

I'm not a big fan of virtuals myself. I've done a few, but don't intend to ever "place" one. Most virtuals I've done have been fairly interesting, but I try to make them a little more interesting by leaving the GPS at home or in the car. However, really this makes it less like caching and more like sightseeing.

That said, there was one virtual, Gypsy King that was unlike anything I'd ever seen, and since it entailed several different sites, it put some adventure into the hunt.

Wanna See a Card Trick?

My first and only virtual hide. I created it before even finding one geocache, thereby breaking another taboo. But, I did email Jeremy way back when I did it and told him my idea. He said, "Go for it". And, you know what, it has been one of the best I've seen, if I do say so myself. Just read some of the logs to see people's reactions. You get a card trick and the 'reveal' is at the site.

As far as ruining it for a traditional cache site, it is inside a graveyard (ooh, spooky) and you couldn't very well place anything there anyway.

I say, judge a cache on it's own merits, not by it's classification as a traditional or virtual. Actually, the more I am involved with this sport, I think about where it will be in 10, 20, or 50 years. Most traditionals can't last one year without constant maintenence. I think a well thought out virtual will last considerably longer.

wow, thats on my MUST-DO list next time i'm in that part of CA

My vote is Kerry Park Viewpoint.

A recent thread in the Northwest forums involved a guy who was comming to Seattle for a few daqys and wanted to know the must do caches. The only one with multiple votes was Kerry Viewpoint.

I guess that I'll go out on a limb and disagree with the whopping two people (other than yourself) that nominated that as a great virtual. I think it is a great view, but not a great cache.

I will now contradict myself and say that my favorite virtual was strictly my favorite because of the view - 12 Birds at the Dome. It was also a nice hike in a National Park. Other favorites have been The Stonegate Devil (which actually required a little hunting to locate) and Up In The Air Over C.I.A. (a fun challenge to log).

I'll have to agree with M10B on the Up in the air over CIA cache. When that one first came up I was obsessed with trying to find a way to log it. It was very enjoying to see the attempts of several people to come up with very ingenious ways to meet the requirements.

I finally gave up, came to my senses, for now. Someday I may try again.

Virtuals are fun in another way than traditional ones. They are convienent when there is snow on the ground and many traditional caches are buried or inaccessable. When the virtual takes outside research too, the gratification of finding the answers can be just as great as that of finding the cache for some. My favorite- http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f8-808db5a5bdc1

because some answers came from the place and others took research which was cool because I learned a lot of stuff that didn't even have to do with the cache. I have had one time where there was a place I would want a cache, but a virtual was there...but that's it.

I guess that I'll go out on a limb and disagree with the whopping two people (other than yourself) that nominated that as a great virtual. I think it is a great view, but not a great cache.

The cache is the view!

Why spend 45 min on your knees looking for some lame micro when the site is about the view? I'd rather spend my time doing what your there for, the view.

No diffrent than 12 birds at the dome, 'cept for the hike.

And 2 other votes or no, it STILL was the only one in the tread with multiple votes. I never claimed anything else.

Why spend 45 min on your knees looking for some lame micro when the site is about the view? I'd rather spend my time doing what your there for, the view.

Fine, but then you're not caching - you're sightseeing.

Some people make that arguement for virtuals, however Kerry is no diffrent than the 3 others you mentioned or have logged in that respect.

Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks....

Some people make that arguement for virtuals, however Kerry is no diffrent than the 3 others you mentioned or have logged in that respect.

Hence my comment that I was contradicting myself in my post.

I'll point out, however, that each of the other virtuals I listed offered something more than just a view.